Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Nov 9, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #992 of 2,546
Finally settled for N5 as I find it easy to use.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #993 of 2,546
Thanks very much everyone for the helpful info.

I will get searching for someone in the UK who can make me the correct adpater cable.

Cheers.

If you haven't bought the headphone already, maybe you can go for any IEM that is designed with a MMCX or a cm (2pin) connector, and that will allow you to change a 2.5mm headphone cable when needed.

My advise is, pick the headphone that you like most, and then worry about the cabling later. While I am a Cayin staff, I won't suggest users to buy a particular headphone because "they want to get the best out of the DAP".

Select the right headphone is the most important step when you start this hobby, and will likely keep you in this hobby for a longer time.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 9, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #994 of 2,546
If you haven't bought the headphone already, maybe you can go for any IEM that is designed with a MMCX or a cm (2pin) connector, and that will allow you to change a 2.5mm headphone cable when needed.

My advise is, pick the headphone that you like most, and then worry about the cabling later. While I am a Cayin staff, I won't suggest users to buy a particular headphone because "they want to get the best out of the DAP".

Select the right headphone is the most important step when you start this hobby, and will likely keep you in this hobby for a longer time.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the advice. Coincidentally the Hifiman earphones were ones I had been interested in before I even discovered the N5. It just so happened I then realised the balance possibilities of the RE-600's. I will most likely use them non-balanced to see if they are right for me. Then look down the balanced route if I decide they are.

Either way I am excited to start enjoying the N5 (with my Aurvana Live's for now) and hopefully it is a worthy replacement for my Android Phone/ Apex Glacier DAC combo.

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #995 of 2,546
Many thanks to hakushondaimao and hellfire8888 for your detail review.

Looks like the protective cover is a major concern to users, I'll bring this issue to our Product team and see if there is anything we can do to rectify.

Now that we have 5 reviews already, that means we have five N5 expert available for consultation, I suppose we can on-board, and we should be able to cover up any questions that might have raised, and also a good variety of opinion and perspective, hope there will be more constructive exchanges down that road, and Cayin can learn a few thing from you all during your chit chat and discussion.
beerchug.gif

I'm in agreement Andy, just having the N5 for a few days now the port cover design is cumbersome and annoying. For me a better solution would be a removable snap on because this one has already gotten sloppy from it's short time on tour, I know the case could be fought that with the attached version it won't get lost but it simply does not stay in place once seated
frown.gif
Now on a positive note there is plenty to like about the N5 starting with SQ and UI not to mention build quality of the unit as a whole and top notch aesthetics
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #998 of 2,546
Yes it can.

You might have some trouble with 200GB, but that should also work. I was using a 128GB microSD which gave me no issue.

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #1,000 of 2,546
Many thanks for the comprehensive review, and your detail analysis and suggestion to the N5 User Interface is highly appreciated, learned a lot by reading your comments and thoughts, I'll forward the review to our team and hopefully improve our UI in subsequent firmware updates.

Regarding EQ, I believe when you switch from EQ Off to Custom EQ but all adjustment remain at 0db, you should still hear volume drop (-6db in the case of N6), that's a protection procedure Cayin implemented, to avoid over shoot in volume if, just in case, the EQ setting were pushing all the way high up in all frequency range. I'll check with my N5 when I receive it back from factory next week.

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #1,001 of 2,546
Many thanks for the comprehensive review, and your detail analysis and suggestion to the N5 User Interface is highly appreciated, learned a lot by reading your comments and thoughts, I'll forward the review to our team and hopefully improve our UI in subsequent firmware updates.

Regarding EQ, I believe when you switch from EQ Off to Custom EQ but all adjustment remain at 0db, you should still hear volume drop (-6db in the case of N6), that's a protection procedure Cayin implemented, to avoid over shoot in volume if, just in case, the EQ setting were pushing all the way high up in all frequency range. I'll check with my N5 when I receive it back from factory next week.

Thanks, Andy. I'll PM you my more concise notes. I switched back and forth between the Off and Custom EQ several times and didn't notice a volume drop like I did with the FiiO X3 & X5 and Shanling M2. I thought it was odd but figured there must be a reason for it. I'm shipping it tomorrow, so I'll double check while packing it up and revise my review as needed.

And really, thanks again for the opportunity and please also forward on my compliments to the design team!
:beerchug:

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #1,002 of 2,546
Andykong: I just checked with a song and a 1kHz test tone, and there is absolutely no volume drop switching to Custom EQ on the FW hakushondaimao upgraded to prior to sending it to me. Playing the same tracks on my X5 with the same phones results in an immediate and obvious volume reduction. If there's anything you'd like me to try prior to shipping to x RELIC x tomorrow, just let me know.

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #1,003 of 2,546
Andykong: I just checked with a song and a 1kHz test tone, and there is absolutely no volume drop switching to Custom EQ on the FW hakushondaimao upgraded to prior to sending it to me. Playing the same tracks on my X5 with the same phones results in an immediate and obvious volume reduction. If there's anything you'd like me to try prior to shipping to x RELIC x tomorrow, just let me know.

I just checked with my N5 and you are correct, this is NOT the way it was mean to be, have informed the product Engineer to follow up on this, hopefully will be rectified in subsequent firmware update.

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #1,004 of 2,546
I have to admit Andy, your responsiveness to us is impressive. Thank you. :)

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #1,005 of 2,546
I have to admit Andy, your responsiveness to us is impressive. Thank you. :)

Well, been there, done that. :D I had broken quite a few F5 key in the past, so I know how frequent a forum member will keep pressing F5 after they post a question or suggestion to their online buddies, I just hope I can keep up with the pace after I changed side in the game. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back