Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Mar 21, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #1,682 of 2,546
Cayin i5 from CanJam SoCal 2016. Looking good Cayin!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802161/canjam-socal-2016-impressions-thread-march-19-20-2016/180#post_12438675

@Andykong - now, this looks GOOD!!!!!  Any close ups from the left side to see transport control?

Captured from zoom in of above shot, we got:

with a spec of:

I remember that Cayin follows # indexing to indicate which one considered to be the flagship and which one supposed to be a step below.  If i5 follows the N5 vs N6 numbering, I assume i5 is considered to be their first mid-fi Android DAP and we can still expect i6 as a flagship?  i5 spec looks great, and maybe i5 vs i6 explains why i5 holds back with a single uSD card, no optical mini Toslink or built in coax, and no 2.5mm balanced output?  I see HO output is 2.4V, that's 360mW @ 16ohm stereo.  And maybe there is a chance to squeeze in a dual uSD card reader, similar to DX80 and Opus#1?  I'm glad to see USB-C, meaning a faster charging.  Also, interesting to see Coax usb-c to 3.5mm spdif adapter, I guess no chance to implement 3.5mm HO with a built-in mini-toslink like AK120ii or Opus#1?

I think X7 and DP-X1 got some serious competition now, and how series will be determined by the pricing of i5
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #1,683 of 2,546
Hi Andy,

I just got this Extreme Audio adapter from Amazon, $24.95, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AFEBR4I/ - and that's exactly what your customers were looking for to connect their HFM balanced 3.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRRS HO.

I just tested it with RE600 which is 3.5mm TRRS terminated, and it works like a charm with 2.5mm TRRS output of N5 :wink:  The description of the product on Amazon is a little misleading because they are saying it can connect any standard 3.5mm to 2.5mm 4-pole - that is a wrong description.  There is no point of connecting a standard 3.5mm TRS because L/R grounds are tied together.  But this adapter 100% works with HiFiMAN wired 3.5mm TRRS to convert it to 2.5mm TRRS (A&K style wiring).

Their description is indeed confusing, I really didn't expect it works when I saw something like "Use your existing headphones with 3.5mm connector. Ideal for connecting 2.5mm balanced out connector to regular 3.5mm headphones"

Well, those who are looking for this adapter might check it out, the problem is you might have a hard time to argue with the seller if anything goes sour because nowhere in the advertisement mentioned 3.5mm Balanced Headphone support. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 21, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #1,684 of 2,546
@Andykong
- now, this looks GOOD!!!!!  Any close ups from the left side to see transport control?

Captured from zoom in of above shot, we got:

with a spec of:

I remember that Cayin follows # indexing to indicate which one considered to be the flagship and which one supposed to be a step below.  If i5 follows the N5 vs N6 numbering, I assume i5 is considered to be their first mid-fi Android DAP and we can still expect i6 as a flagship?  i5 spec looks great, and maybe i5 vs i6 explains why i5 holds back with a single uSD card, no optical mini Toslink or built in coax, and no 2.5mm balanced output?  I see HO output is 2.4V, that's 360mW @ 16ohm stereo.  And maybe there is a chance to squeeze in a dual uSD card reader, similar to DX80 and Opus#1?  I'm glad to see USB-C, meaning a faster charging.  Also, interesting to see Coax usb-c to 3.5mm spdif adapter, I guess no chance to implement 3.5mm HO with a built-in mini-toslink like AK120ii or Opus#1?

I think X7 and DP-X1 got some serious competition now, and how series will be determined by the pricing of i5 :wink:

That was a nice photo, we are grateful for @unknownguardian visiting our booth and posting the picture of our product on the impression thread.

Alex has done a great Sherlock style investigation, and that saved a lot of explanation as I am kind of exhausted after the long traveling and intense 3 days with CanJam (my session started on Friday afternoon( :D

There are issues that I can't respond to right now, we have to wait till end of April when the Android DAP is finally finalized, and I shall get back to the Cayin Community in full detail.

As stated in the product description we put up for i5 in CanJam, headphone output of i5 Engineering Sample is rated 180mW+180mW (@32ohm), on figure this is not too far away from the single ended output of N5. We have adopted a new Op-amp for the buffer stage before Headphone amplificaiton, and this can be considered as a small upgrade from N5 if you are familiar with the op-amps.

The selling price is yet to decided, for ball park figures, it will be around US$500, but please don't hold me for that as we are still pending for the final BOM.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #1,685 of 2,546
I like the look of the i5 and if it is anything like the other Cayin gear I have it will be a great entrant into this market and I look forward to impressions of build and sound quality in the near future. Cheers from Oz.

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #1,686 of 2,546
Helo guys,

I just got n5 and I'm very happy with it. Just want to ask. Is it alright if I'm charging it with silicone case still attach to it? Do I need to open the silicone case first before charging? I'm aware that it is getting hot when playing music. Sorry for noob questions.

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,687 of 2,546
Definitely not a noob question and no, you do not have to remove it. At least I do not feel it's hot to the extent I need to remove it.. Enjoy the N5!

You might wanna get the dignis leather it's super sexy!

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #1,690 of 2,546
Just wanted to chime in. I have a a c5 and love it! Yes its the size of a small car but it sounds great which is the most important factor. Also the fact that the company actually interacts with us on these forums sealed the sale of the c5 to me(fiio des a great job too). I wish that more companies realized how much that actually really means to consumers and practised it. That said I have just decided to upgrade my players and buy an N5. Here's to hoping that I enjoy it as much as the c5.

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #1,691 of 2,546
Has anyone tried it with TH-X00? The hissing is quite noticeable from the single ended output.

Interesting, I have tested TH-X00 with N6 and N5 (single ended), didn't aware hissing problem with it, I have access to TH-X00 in Hong Kong, I can check this out when I back to Hong Kong next week.

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #1,692 of 2,546
Just wanted to chime in. I have a a c5 and love it! Yes its the size of a small car but it sounds great which is the most important factor. Also the fact that the company actually interacts with us on these forums sealed the sale of the c5 to me(fiio des a great job too). I wish that more companies realized how much that actually really means to consumers and practised it. That said I have just decided to upgrade my players and buy an N5. Here's to hoping that I enjoy it as much as the c5.

We are flattered by your kind comment. We came here to learn because we are ignorant with the user requirements and preference in oversee market, we want to make sure our products can fit into user expectation as much as possible. We are adjusting slowly, but we are getting there with the helps of Cayin community on HeadFi. :D

Trust me, if C5 is your favorite, you'll love N5. :beerchug:

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #1,693 of 2,546
We are flattered by your kind comment. We came here to learn because we are ignorant with the user requirements and preference in oversee market, we want to make sure our products can fit into user expectation as much as possible. We are adjusting slowly, but we are getting there with the helps of Cayin community on HeadFi. :D

Trust me, if C5 is our favorite, you'll love N5. :beerchug:

I wholeheartedly agree with this!
:beerchug:

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #1,694 of 2,546
Cayin at CanJam SoCal 2016.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bzTrzMhUVOY&list=PLzFvCAfIq7a1smO7AhM1asLh4RjCBAWe2&index=13

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #1,695 of 2,546
Lookin' tasty. That Tube-amp is a thing of beauty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back