Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
May 26, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #286 of 3,742
Whenever they're ready, Andy :wink_face:

Tomorrow!

giphy.gif

May 26, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #288 of 3,742
Thanks for your kind support,

Two years? :wink: we have more then one i-series DAP in our product roadmap, I sure hope we can beat the timeline and offer more choice to i-series users down the road ASAP. :beerchug:

Wow, I guess my upgrade road has been laid out in front of me too :D

It seems, i was right.

Was right with what?

May 26, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #290 of 3,742
May 26, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #292 of 3,742
May 26, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #293 of 3,742
Sorry,  Guys,  but i have to say grievously, that chosen  instead 49720 AD712, has very high  voltage noise density. Anyone  interesting, could  open Analog website  and check figure 18: Voltage noise density in  sound diapason  is: from 30 till 18 nV.
What does it mean for us,  potential users?  Possible audible degradation of sound( noise, hiss, rough sound, etc..)

May 26, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #294 of 3,742
Why don't you build one yourself?
Sorry,  Guys,  but i have to say grievously, that chosen  instead 49720 AD712, has very high  voltage noise density. Anyone  interesting, could  open Analog website  and check figure 18: Voltage noise density in  sound diapason  is: from 30 till 18 nV.
What does it mean for us,  potential users?  Possible audible degradation of sound( noise, hiss, rough sound, etc..)

May 26, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #295 of 3,742

I don't think it is fair to judge base on a single component. If anything else, it is the whole design that matter most. Cayin has trial their selection and reach what deemed to be a viable option. To potential users? It spells a company that is making a genuine effort to tackle an identified issue and spell it out prior to production run. I personally has not seen any company doing such.

It would really only be conjectures on sound qualities at this point since not many on this board has heard the final design.

May 26, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #296 of 3,742
A complete version of the i5 Circuit revision:

This shows how difficult it is to design noise free digital mixed with analog circuits, hence why smartphones with audiophile-grade DACs alongside wifi/bluetooth/4G in them have not been taken seriously.

Perhaps the X7 with the hot-swappable amp module is another way to deal with this plus it gives the user customisable add-ons.  I wonder if the DAP architecture can be made open so that third party companies can build/release their own version of the amp module/cradle to rival that of the *pod.

See how far the IBM PC went when it came with ISA expansion bus support for add-ons
wink.gif

May 26, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #297 of 3,742
Guys, the problem wasn't with the design. It was that the manufacturer didn't tell Cayin they were obsoleting the opamps Cayin was using and slipstreamed in a replacement opamp that wasn't compatible. Cayin was caught off guard and has done a great job quickly reengineering IMHO. I'm very much looking forward to testing out this DAP!!!

May 27, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #298 of 3,742
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 27, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #299 of 3,742
This shows how difficult it is to design noise free digital mixed with analog circuits, hence why smartphones with audiophile-grade DACs alongside wifi/bluetooth/4G in them have not been taken seriously.

Perhaps the X7 with the hot-swappable amp module is another way to deal with this plus it gives the user customisable add-ons.  I wonder if the DAP architecture can be made open so that third party companies can build/release their own version of the amp module/cradle to rival that of the *pod.

See how far the IBM PC went when it came with ISA expansion bus support for add-ons :wink:

The audio connection standard is quite well defined in professional application, if you work in a recording studio, stage, or even P.A. industry, the connection requirement are all well defined and they can tell you the pin definition, impedance, and level of different audio connections right away. Unfortunately when we go into HiFi industry, the standard are loosed enforced only.

Take non-balanced line out as an example, the standard RCA (or 3.5mm) line out should be 2V, however you probably have noticed that a lot of DAP line out are not meeting this standard.

The problem is the loudness war actually has extended to portable audio product market. For instance, when users connect their source to several amplifiers, very often they perceive the louder amplifier as better, more powerful, or more dynamic, so the easiest way out to win the game is to increase the gain of the amplifier. As a result of that, some manufacturer has increased the gain of their portable amplifier to a very high level, and this will let them stand out and impress their users (or potential customers),

I can recall when I was a consultant to Cayin during the N6 beta test stage, I have once advised Cayin to tune the line out of N6 to 2V, as this is the standard after all. Unfortunately this turn out to be a bad advise because when connect to a portable amplifier with very hign gain, N6 will sound harsh and over driven, and there are more High gain amplifiers then standard/low gain amplifiers in the market. At the end of the day, the line out of N6 was set to 1.7V and it works well with most portable amplifier so far.

So can we set a standard in DAP architecture for audio connection? Yes, you don't need a rocket scientist to do that, and we have the professional audio industry to look up to.

Can we rely on such a standard? Unlikely because the standard can hardly enforced strictly.

PS. I diverted the attention to audio standard because I cannot comment the architecture of a competitor product :D :D

May 27, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #300 of 3,742
Guys, the problem wasn't with the design. It was that the manufacturer didn't tell Cayin they were obsoleting the opamps Cayin was using and slipstreamed in a replacement opamp that wasn't compatible. Cayin was caught off guard and has done a great job quickly reengineering IMHO. I'm very much looking forward to testing out this DAP!!!

Well, we all do that, if you look into the user manual of N5 or N6, you'll find a general statement stating that "we reserve the right to change the specification without further notice." :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back