CanJam at RMAF 2014 impressions
Oct 13, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #151 of 441
Just to confirm, Sony did not have their new iem line such as the xba-z5 available?

I did not see any iems at the Sony area, just the MDR-Z7, MDR-1A, and their stand-alone desktop media players. I took a picture at the Schiit area and one of the guys pointed at their shirt that said "ASK ME ABOUT MY BIG DAC". I can't pull the picture off my iphone, but I think someone else took a picture, so they might post it. BTW, I listened to that "BIG DAC", and you will need a "BIG WALLET" to get it. :)

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #152 of 441
Some other quick impressions

The MDR-Z7 sounded great to me, but I compared it with my DT-770 with my own ALAC source. The Z7 are smoother and a little tighter on the bass. Great cans, the Z7s.

I also heard the 1a, but just for a minute. The Z7 drew all my Sony time.

Of note, I spoke with a young woman from Sony japan. She was surprised to learn the MA900 is not for sale in the US. She said they are very popular in Japan. I wonder why they aren't for sale here.

Stance. They sounded OK to me, but nothing special. I don't know how they will compete with the Sony mdr-10r for the same price.

Obravo amt headphones. I throught they were awesome, but a little bright. I spoke to tyl about them, and he doesn't like them because they are bright, and he doesn't like bright. If you like the AMT sound and you like very clear, bright sound, you will like the obravos. You can also easily open the cups to reduce the bass, if that's your thing. The designer, a very nice Asian man, was showing them off. If you have an opportunity to listen to them, I recommended you try them.

The other can I loved, beyond the obvious (hd800, T1, lcd, stax) are the king sounds. I compared the king sounds to the koss 950s and the Kings sounded way better. Not to say the 950 aren't great, but they sounded a little thin to me. I also was easily able to compare the Kings with their own tube and solid state amps. Yep, tubes are warmer :)

All in all, I wrote "awesome" many times in my notes for both speakers and cans. My audio palate isn't very refined, so I i don't need thousands of dollars of head gear. I will save up for the mcintosh speakers (and work on wife approval), but I can stress enough how much fun it was to spend three days geeking out with all that equipment, Jude, tyl, warren, and other audio geeks.

How do the Kings stack up to Stax, a "poor man's" maybe? Or other top headphones on the market?

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #153 of 441
It was hard to compare the Kings and the stax since they were on different floors. For $1000 the Kings win in my book (the Kings were on sale for $1000 at the LA meet, so try to bargain). If you have a lot more money, they stax might be a little better. It all depends on how much money you want to spend, and how refined your hearing is. The Kings with a solid state amp retail for 1200. For the same money in stax you are looking at the plastics less comfortable ear speaker looking 07 line.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #154 of 441
How do the Kings stack up to Stax, a "poor man's" maybe? Or other top headphones on the market?

Guttenbergs review of the king sounds.
http://www.cnet.com/news/astonishing-headphones-with-clarity-like-youve-never-heard-before/

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #155 of 441
  Just to confirm, Sony did not have their new iem line such as the xba-z5 available?

Kunlun, they were indeed there.  I got a chance to check them out at their press event.  As I'm dead tired, I was going to post about them later.  But just for you...

XBA-Z5 > Beck's Already Dead (DSF):  Tight and visceral mid-bass that is not the slightest bit loose or muddy, complemented by some very impressive bass extension for IEMs.  Together, they provide a wonderful anchor for what is clearly a mid-centric signature.  Vocals take center stage with surprising clarity, exhibiting an uncanny balance whereby detail is not sacrificed, nor is fatigue allowed.  This held true even on some revealing tracks that are prone to sibilance (Emilie Claire-Barrow's Like A Lover).  Highs are sufficiently well-extended and presented such that only trebleheads would have reservations.  Overall, I am very enamored with these in a way that I have not been with Sony for a looooonnnnnggg time.  The source I used was their new DAP.

EDIT:  I believe HiFiGuy528 also auditioned them at some point and liked them as well.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #156 of 441

Kunlun, they were indeed there.  I got a chance to check them out at their press event.  As I'm dead tired, I was going to post about them later.  But just for you...

XBA-Z5 > Beck's Already Dead (DSF):  Tight and visceral mid-bass that is not the slightest bit loose or muddy, complemented by some very impressive bass extension for IEMs.  Together, they provide a wonderful anchor for what is clearly a mid-centric signature.  Vocals take center stage with surprising clarity, exhibiting an uncanny balance whereby detail is not sacrificed, nor is fatigue allowed.  This held true even on some revealing tracks that are prone to sibilance (Emilie Claire-Barrow's Like A Lover).  Highs are sufficiently well-extended and presented such that only trebleheads would have reservations.  Overall, I am very enamored with these in a way that I have not been with Sony for a looooonnnnnggg time.  The source I used was their new DAP.

EDIT:  I believe HiFiGuy528 also auditioned them at some point and liked them as well.

Great song choice from a truly fantastic album.

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #157 of 441
A few more impressions below...

JDS Labs

The first vendor I visited on Saturday morning was JDS Labs and I enjoyed their 02+ODAC Combo pictured below out of my HD650s.  It drove them very well for an amplifier this size and I was impressed by the depth it was able to achieve at this price point.  I don't always tend to like a lot of solid state amplifiers with the 650s, but I could tell this little guy was doing quite a lot right and it would probably pair well with another, easier to drive headphone.  They also had an AKG hooked up, but I do like at least a little consistency, weight, and impact to my low frequencies, so I didn't listen through them.  Anyway, nice products from JDS, well built and at good prices.

ALO Audio

I spent a little bit of time checking out ALO Audio's vinyl rig (Studio Six amplifier above and their Phono Stage as well as turntable below), and wow it was really nice and sounded great!  I haven't looked into specs of the phono pre much, but it appears to also have 3 switchable input load settings, which is something I'm always glad to see.  If I wasn't able to load the input of by Denon, I wouldn't like it at all.  The default inputs are pretty much the same on all phono preamps, however they don't always match to a particular cartridge or system signature very well.  Even being able to make small adjustments, even if only 3 total, is still very cool.  I wish I had spent a little more time with this setup as it was one of the best vinyl rigs I've ever heard with the 650s.

Pendulumic - Wireless Studio Headphones

I also stopped by and checked out the Pendulumic Stance S1s.  I found them to be very light in weight and I really liked the volume/play/adjust button on the side... just about what you would want in a wireless solution, with the exception that I felt like I wanted the pads to be just a bit more comfortable for extended use.   Maybe an option for some nice lambskin or even thicker/better cushioning; I would probably seriously buy a pair right now if they had cushions as comfortable as the Alpha Dogs at this price point... anyway, it could be a hard solution to beat around the house, when you want to be at least a little mobile.  They told me they did some tests before the show and it was able to go more than the 50 foot spec, probably because it was an open room with no walls, etc., but still pretty cool.  I'm not well versed in bluetooth technology, but they use a technology called aptX, which I think is supposed to have less distortion.  They also have built-in rechargeable batteries, plus additional slots for I believe 2 AAA batteries that extend the life up to ~30 hours... very nice.

As far as sound quality, unfortunately it was later in the day on Saturday and since it was my last day, I wasn't able to listen to them for very long, I would say about 12 min. or so, but I liked the overall sound signature I heard, which I found to be more warm than neutral and a little soft around the edges.  The sound wasn't overly peaky nor bassy and I could see them being forgiving to poorly recorded or produced albums.  They weren't the most detailed and revealing headphone I've heard, but for the functionality/versatility, and at their price point, it seemed to fill a void that I haven't really thought much of in the past.  After about 5 min. I remember starting to imagine myself lying on my couch and on my bed, closing my eyes, just drifting away to the sound... crazy, but all of which I can't really do right now... why you ask?  Cause I got cables... lots of them... and heavier bulky headphones that prefer you to sit up to listen to them rather than lay down (I didn't lay down while wearing the Stance S1s or anything, but I got the impression that I might very well be able to and still be at least somewhat comfy).

Anyway, I'm really glad I stopped by and checked out the Stance S1s.  Finally someone is looking to raise the bar of quality (and functionality) of wireless sound because sometimes you just want to move around without restrictions or limitations, even at home, but still be comfortable and have good sound.  Too much to ask for?  Well it'll be interesting to see where this wireless thing goes, even in the near future...

PS Audio

Yes, that's right, PS Audio was in the CanJam room this year, showing off their new integrated amplifier, the Sprout, shown above.  Very nicely designed little amp, with sound that was really great as well.  Not only was it able to drive my HD650s correctly, but it did so with nice depth and detail.  It's also a speaker amplifier (50 watts per channel) and a asynchronous DAC, all built into this very classy looking chassis with a natural walnut wood grain top.  Looking back, I wish I had spent more time with this little guy as the sound was very nice and refined, with excellent build quality.  However, I would say that I enjoyed the sound of the iFi Retro a little more with the 650s, but it's closer to the sound signature I typically enjoy more.  Also, the Sennheiser HDVA 600 was a better match with the 650s, but that's one amplifier that I felt was hard to beat with them (plus I heard it after the Sprout).  However, I found the solid state sound signature coming out of this little guy impressive and with the good design/technology that PS Audio is known for, at this price point it may be the perfect solution for a smaller integrated multipurpose system, perhaps in an office or bedroom.

More to come...

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #158 of 441
I had a long listen to the Z7's and I really liked them. Very liight with Sony marketed varieties of Kimber Cable custom cables available. I heard the Z7's out of their new top Music player and out of the son to be released PH-3 portable DAC/Amp. Sony is back, IMO.

BTW, the new PH-3 is fantastic as well. Coming out at around $999.....

How do the Z7's compare to your own headphones?

Thanks for your impressions!

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #159 of 441
Some equipment impressions, with more to come later:

- RHA T10i (universal-fit) | source: my iAudio X5: I was interested in hearing these because of their affordable price point, but was a bit disappointed mostly because of 2 aspects: (1) it was really tricky to get them to properly seal, even with double-flange tips, and (2) it also sounded too bassy, with not quite enough treble to balance. I'd suppose they might be a good option for bassheads.

- CTM CT-400Pro (customs) | source: my iAudio X5: These were pretty good and had quite a bit of treble—just enough to satisfy me, a self-professed treblehead. The bass was a bit lacking though, but I'd imagine that with a real custom-fit pair (instead of the demo universals at the show), the frequency balance would likely be a bit better due to better fit & seal. Not a bad IEM, and if/when I have the money to spare, I could easily see myself buying a pair.

- Westone W40 (universal-fit) | source: my iAudio X5: Overall pretty good, a bit bassy for me though, and a bit lacking in treble & clarity. Seemed like good all-rounder IEMs for a variety of music genres.

- KOSS Pro4S and SP540 (portable closed headphones) | source: Teac DAC: I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people in the room probably didn't catch these BRAND NEW headphones from Koss! I almost missed them myself and would've missed them for sure if I hadn't stopped to take a hard look at their headphone line-up, because I'm familiar with most of their headphones (having seen KOSS at many meets and shows over the years since Head-Fi's 2007 National Meet in San Jose CA). I was told that the headphones are so new that they're not even officially out in the USA yet. The first thing I asked the reps was the price, because I figured they'd be affordable, and I was right: they're both slated to be only $150! Then I started listening, and they were pretty good! Granted, they weren't exceptional, but for $150, they sounded pretty dang good! Both sounded appropriately clear to me with a good amount of treble & bass. I think it was the Pro4S that had a bit more of a bigger soundstage, but I can't remember now. But in any case they were both very surprising finds in a crowded sea of closed headphones at the show, and their price can't be beat. I imagine that I'll probably end up buying a pair of both of them down the road!

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #160 of 441

I had a long listen to the Z7's and I really liked them. Very liight with Sony marketed varieties of Kimber Cable custom cables available. I heard the Z7's out of their new top Music player and out of the son to be released PH-3 portable DAC/Amp. Sony is back, IMO.

BTW, the new PH-3 is fantastic as well. Coming out at around $999.....

How do the Z7's compare to your own headphones?

Thanks for your impressions!

They are not going to take out the HD800's. However they are a strong $700 contender. Good balanced sound. Clean up top and solid bass. I like the styling and they are very light and comfortable for a long listening session. Thumbs up!

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #161 of 441

I should have my stuff up tomorrow as well. Just got home and on the road in 11 hours, so I will get things together in the hotel. I have a ton of pics.

BTW, The Alpha Prime's were wonderful. Dan has really stepped up the game.

I am waiting Your pictures and impression longbowbbs
biggrin.gif

Every morning before i go For works i always open Head Fi and look at the pictures from Can Jam 2014
biggrin.gif

Thank you

I probably have to post a ton to catch up to your pictures Rudi!

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #162 of 441

I own a S1 and am looking forward to buying the S1 Plus.

It is by far, the best BLUETOOTH wireless Headphone I've had and I do not use it wired! That's precisely the reason I bought the S1 - wireless freedom.

I do not think it is fair to compare the S1 wireless to wired Koss KSC75 or even ATH-FC7.

One thing for sure, I tried using it with iphone 5, it was not good simply because iphone 5 did not have the APTX.

It works great with Samsung's S3, S4 and S5.

Cheers!

Asajjin

I felt the same way, the S1 sounded quite good for a Bluetooth headphone (to my relatively untrained ears). I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a pair for myself!

I though it sounded pretty good as well, at least for what it is. My only problem was that it didn't get loud enough, especially with older recordings.

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #163 of 441

Thanks, very good to have your impressions!

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #165 of 441
c
Jason Stoddard form Schiit Audio

The new reference system from Schiit. The Ragnarok amplifier for both headphone and speakers.
The amplifier can do both balanced and single ended headphone plus drive some nice speakers as well. Powerful and dynamic it was making music.
Paired with Mike Moffat(remember Theta Generation V) new flagship Dac prototype that will be available shortly the music had no harsness and grain was non existent. Very dynamic and musical with slam.

Jason Stoddard is doing some awesome stuff with Mike Moffatt and they are working a successful business model.
Job well done and that ain't no Schiit.

Dan Clark Mr Speakers

Alpha Prime is very different from the Alpha Dog. The sound had better dynamics with more bass slam and definition.
The treble was more extended.

The return of a legend. Dennis Had has come out of retirement and the new Inspire amplifier for headphones will knock your socks off.
The amp uses 2 6SN7 and a Sophia 274B. The sound was very defined. Exciting new product from the Legend himself. Available exclusively at Moon Audio. $1599.00

Moon Audio in addition to the Inspire was showing the new BNC music and video server. The piece was stunning and sounded as good a sit looked 
Retail $4200. Dre is every excited about this new piece.

Drew Baird and Darren working at the CanJam.

Fang had an new amp that was totally awesome. The EF100 is 9W and also will do speakers and headphones. The sound
was really prisitne. Cant wait to hear these with desktops speakers and get this available for an amazing $499.00 retail This will be a home run. 

Fang Bian  the CEO and President of Hifiman

Alex and his lovely wife Nina had an awesome collection of Wywires Red headphone cables for listening.
The Wywires Red is transparent and clean and improves every headphone I have used with them

Cypher Labs wa showing the Prautes tube amplifier designed by Damon Coffman for Cypher Labs
The amplifier is a line stage and low power speaker amp designed for small spaces. The 4K amp is magnificent and drop dead gorgeous. Review to come as I will be getting it shortly for review
on Headphone.Guru

Dave talking with a customer about the products Cypher Labs is offering.

Steve Holt form Audio Nerd was showing his $499.00 tube amp that was playing well beyond its price point plus he had a desktop main system setup as well.

Warren Chi who worked his butt off to  help make this a special CanJam. hat off to my friend!

Jude looking both hungry and little tired. Go carting the night away in Denver.

Headfi.org table

The Grandaddy of Headpghone listening Tyll Hersten moderating and IEM panel

Jerry Harvey,Brannon Mason,Mike Dias and Dale form Aurosinic offered their thoughts on IEM design.

"The Evangelist"  Michael Mercer my little brother and  good friend organized lot of the entire RMAF and never gets
enough credit for all he does. He was amazing at the event and is passionate about personal audio and more important community and friendship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back