CanJam at RMAF 2014 impressions
Oct 13, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #137 of 441
I should have my stuff up tomorrow as well. Just got home and on the road in 11 hours, so I will get things together in the hotel. I have a ton of pics.

BTW, The Alpha Prime's were wonderful. Dan has really stepped up the game.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #138 of 441
  There were two things that was interesting in the 2-channel section of RMAF One was hearing Also sprach Zarathustra in surround sound. Never heard that piece that way before. Second was a portable listening room by TigerFox Is was sort of a "mancave" in the middle of the room by interlocking panels. You sit inside in a chair on the floor and you hear all the great sound from two monitors without the room acoustics smearing the sound.

Did anyone else get by the Apex audio room on the main floor. They had Solution electronics and Scansonic MB-1 speakers. I did not get them to play anything I am very familiar with, but what they played just blew me away. The transients and dynamic range were amazing. The amount of bass impact from those little speakers was incredible.
I went looking for the subwoofers. Of course with an available 800 watts per channel of mega buck amps... well that had to be a factor. That was interesting... to me anyway.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #139 of 441
I just got home.  I'd regale you all with tales of splendor, but alas I am too tired right now.  
frown.gif
  This is the sixth event I've helped work on in the past seven months, and I am totally spent.  
triportsad.gif

Before I go crash, let me please add an impression on the Lobster Mac n' Cheese that BearFNF warned you guys about.  I took one for the team and ordered it last year.  It was, as I vividly recall, a plate of hot toes and ass.  And although everything else on the menu is pretty good, that one dish should be avoided if at all possible.  Sadly, I was sitting on the opposite end of the table from BearFNF and did not hear him order it.  I'm sorry BearFNF, my bad, I totally would've warned you had I heard you.

But learn from our dismay my friends... remember... Lobster Mac n' Cheese = Hot Toes n' Ass.  No joke.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #140 of 441
  I just got home.  I'd regale you all with tales of splendor, but alas I am too tired right now.  
frown.gif
  This is the sixth event I've helped work on in the past seven months, and I am totally spent.  
triportsad.gif

Before I go crash, let me please add an impression on the Lobster Mac n' Cheese that BearFNF warned you guys about.  I took one for the team and ordered it last year.  It was, as I vividly recall, a plate of hot toes and ass.  And although everything else on the menu is pretty good, that one dish should be avoided if at all possible.  Sadly, I was sitting on the opposite end of the table from BearFNF and did not hear him order it.  I'm sorry BearFNF, my bad, I totally would've warned you had I heard you.

But learn from our dismay my friends... remember... Lobster Mac n' Cheese = Hot Toes n' Ass.  No joke.

The Fish and Chips were great!

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #141 of 441
Just got home and I'm a gonna hit the hay in seconds.

The Fish and Chips were great!

The "Adult mac and cheese with chicken" at Darcy's Bistro and Pub on the other hand was excellent, according to Longbowbbs.  I was so scarred from the "Hot Toes n' Ass" that I had the fish and chips the first time, which were very good, and the Rueben that next time we went to Darcy's.  The Beer was also very good.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #143 of 441
I should have my stuff up tomorrow as well. Just got home and on the road in 11 hours, so I will get things together in the hotel. I have a ton of pics.

BTW, The Alpha Prime's were wonderful. Dan has really stepped up the game.

I am waiting Your pictures and impression longbowbbs :D
Every morning before i go For works i always open Head Fi and look at the pictures from Can Jam 2014 :D
Thank you

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #144 of 441
  Just got home and I'm a gonna hit the hay in seconds.
The "Adult mac and cheese with chicken" at Darcy's Bistro and Pub on the other hand was excellent, according to Longbowbbs.  I was so scarred from the "Hot Toes n' Ass" that I had the fish and chips the first time, which were very good, and the Rueben that next time we went to Darcy's.  The Beer was also very good.

Darcy's was great (ate there twice, since my hotel was right next door.  The Thai place in the  same mall was wonderful....

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #145 of 441

Darcy's was great (ate there twice, since my hotel was right next door.  The Thai plac ein gthe same mall was wonderful....

Yep, we ate there last year and planned to go there Sunday night after CanJam ended but they were closed so we went to Darcy's a second time.

Oh man I need to go to sleep.  took me five tries just to type that in right...

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #146 of 441

Yep, we ate there last year and planned to go there Sunday night after CanJam ended but they were closed so we went to Darcy's a second time.

Oh man I need to go to sleep.  took me five tries just to type that in right...

I ended up at a pizza place across the street from the Hampton Inn, and it was pretty bad.  I should have gone to darcy's instead (almost tried to hit the Thai place again, and would have ended up at Darcy's)

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #147 of 441
Can somebody take a listen to the new McIntosh Headphones and report back PLEASE! 

I spent a lot of time in the mcintosh room, but I didn't see the headphones. I was, however, blown away by their speakers. I listened to a lot of speakers at the show, and the mcintosh xr-50's were my favorites. They aren't new and they are $4000 a pair. I hears Joseph audios (demoed by Jeff Joseph), roger sanders demoed his speakersm Paul Barton demoed his (we talked for quite a while; quite a treasure), vandersteen demoed his, and sandy gross himselft demoed the tritons! To each his own, but I was blown away by the xr50s.

I think some mcintosh headphones might be very good, but I didn't see them.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #148 of 441
Peace indeed! Guys, we are hobbists, not professional reviewers and are perfectly entitled to trash a headphone we do not like whenever we feel like it...
I found the post from the Pendulumic rep and the subsequent mobbing of @Asr, polite in form, but substantially more off-color than the "scam" remark Asr made in his post. I know Asr since almost 10 years (scary!) and I am sure he listened to the Pendulimic very carefully before expressing his opinion (which I happen to disagree with, but this is not the point).

Then you must have been completely oblivious to the message contained. Asr wasn't "mobbed" , and there was not a thing "off color" in the message that we have a responsibility, even in public forums, not to libel, and be cognizant of the "unintended consequences" of what we say. I am sure Asr is a capital fellow, it was food for thought (not the Lobster Mac), not an attack in anyway whatsoever.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #149 of 441
Nick Dangerous and I took an Uber ride to Cherry Cricket and had some great burgers. Would eat again.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #150 of 441
Some other quick impressions

The MDR-Z7 sounded great to me, but I compared it with my DT-770 with my own ALAC source. The Z7 are smoother and a little tighter on the bass. Great cans, the Z7s.

I also heard the 1a, but just for a minute. The Z7 drew all my Sony time.

Of note, I spoke with a young woman from Sony japan. She was surprised to learn the MA900 is not for sale in the US. She said they are very popular in Japan. I wonder why they aren't for sale here.

Stance. They sounded OK to me, but nothing special. I don't know how they will compete with the Sony mdr-10r for the same price.

Obravo amt headphones. I throught they were awesome, but a little bright. I spoke to tyl about them, and he doesn't like them because they are bright, and he doesn't like bright. If you like the AMT sound and you like very clear, bright sound, you will like the obravos. You can also easily open the cups to reduce the bass, if that's your thing. The designer, a very nice Asian man, was showing them off. If you have an opportunity to listen to them, I recommended you try them.

The other can I loved, beyond the obvious (hd800, T1, lcd, stax) are the king sounds. I compared the king sounds to the koss 950s and the Kings sounded way better. Not to say the 950 aren't great, but they sounded a little thin to me. I also was easily able to compare the Kings with their own tube and solid state amps. Yep, tubes are warmer :)

All in all, I wrote "awesome" many times in my notes for both speakers and cans. My audio palate isn't very refined, so I i don't need thousands of dollars of head gear. I will save up for the mcintosh speakers (and work on wife approval), but I can stress enough how much fun it was to spend three days geeking out with all that equipment, Jude, tyl, warren, and other audio geeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back