Campfire Audio Trifecta
Nov 29, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #46 of 902
Trifecta First Impressions 24hrs

Fit/Feel
The IEMs themselves look much better than they photograph and are the most comfortable universal I’ve ever used. These IEMs (not attached to a cable) could fly off a desk with a moderate breeze and are very light.
The cable is reminiscent of STAX ear speaker cables, however they are light, have zero microphonics and are excellent from an ergonomics point of view. I do not have complaints here.

Sound
  • density
  • bass oriented, emphasis on mid bass
  • headphone sized dynamics
These are unapologetically American tuned (warm, rich, bass first) and sounds as if they were developed before the forums existed. This IEM is a love letter to bass heads. The sound grows in dynamics from bottom to top, the bass lines shape the soundstage. This is different to other IEMs, where bass notes would be independent of soundstage and dynamics. This IEM is the best ‘enjoyment’ set I’ve used for this reason, it isn’t looking to monitor or ‘perfectly reproduce’ the music. Instead, the focus is on Trifecta taking liberty with presentation and orienting a ‘bass first’ priority (perhaps more midbass than sub bass). For instance, when a bass string is plucked, you can feel the stage and power grow upward but also outward. With Trifecta, I was able to hear flutters of bass lines I wasn't able to before. This presentation you’d find on older hifi systems of the 80s, eg JBL sound systems.

Some may find the bass too much, but to those who’ve experienced such systems, will understand the romantic nature of this sound signature. In addition, the 3DD’s working together give the impression the sound is being reproduced from a larger gear like a headphone. In comparison to XE6, the Trifecta bass is more layered, textured and powerful. XE6’s advantage lies in detail extraction in the upper registers thanks to the EST.
The mids and treble are nothing special in comparison to the bass, they are tuned to complement the bass as this is the main focus. The mids are pulled back slightly with a warmer coloration. There isn’t any perceptible upper mid glare or forwardness I’ve found on other sets such as Odin. Treble doesn’t extend or reveal details as well as XE6, as CFA wants you to focus on bass forward dynamics. Trifecta is not as warm/thick as XE6 but is in the warmer spectrum to my ears. If you found XE6 scratched the bass itch, but you could do with less warmth and desired a more layered/complex bass texture with DD coherency throughout the range, Trifecta may be for you. I love both sets and they complement each other perfectly.

In summary, I would recommend Trifecta for those who want headphone sized dynamics with warmer tuning and an emphasis on the bass. It’s remarkable how much density can be produced from the 3DD arrangement. Ken Ball paid no attention to the current trends in the headfi space, instead he looked to the past and chose to resurrect an overlooked sonic presentation. I have a feeling Trifecta will be remembered as a future classic, defined by explosive dynamics, immense texture, perfect DD coherency and a powerful bass line. Trifecta is a case where presentation is a priority over technicality and it works very well. Hat's off @KB!

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

One of the best posts I've read on HF for a while, congrats! 🙌

Nov 29, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #48 of 902
I like gs27 post better :wink: a close 2nd hehe. @bigbeans

They both manage to capture unique charm and character of this wonderful IEM from different perspectives...love it.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #51 of 902
Hi,

I just got mine yesterday. But there is no red color on the right ear like your picture. Mine are silver logo for both sides per picture.
thumbnail.jpg

Currently listening I will try to do some sound impressions later. 20221123_094348.JPG20221123_094841.JPG20221123_094858.JPG20221123_100447.JPG20221123_100458.JPG20221123_100503.JPG20221123_101055.JPG

Nov 30, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #53 of 902
That's crazy mine are the same I don't know how it came out red in the picture liol

Cameras do strange things sometimes.

Dec 1, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #54 of 902
My third update: I love these In-ear Speaker Systems!!! Today is the 9th day of burning and after 200 hrs, I can only say they’ve surpassed my expectations. I can no longer compare them to Sony IER-Z1R as Trifecta is the winner. My challenge was with picking the right (the best) ear tips. After trying all Spinfits: W1, CP100, CP145, CP155, CP500), I consider CP360 the best (for me). They make vocals sound slightly brighter, which is what I was trying to accomplish, while preserving deep bass that no longer overpowers other ranges. And yes, I now hear all micro details off Astell&Kern SP3000 with Trifecta as well. Super happy!!!

Dec 1, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #56 of 902
Hi,

I wrote to Campfire and got the reply below about left or right side ...

The siding can be a bit tricky at first, but if you look closely at the underside of the MMCX connectors, they are marked "L" and "R." The phot with the red CA logo must be the silver of the logo reflecting something of that color.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #57 of 902
Hi,

I wrote to Campfire and got the reply below about left or right side ...

The siding can be a bit tricky at first, but if you look closely at the underside of the MMCX connectors, they are marked "L" and "R." The phot with the red CA logo must be the silver of the logo reflecting something of that color.
You can see it happen here too lol strange and it's in a different position and the other side looks darker now ...
Screenshot_20221201-114413.png

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #58 of 902
Sensitivity @ 94dB its not a very sensitive IEM. I guess no one is driving these out of a Smartphone but I bought an EU Sony DAP.

It will drive all the IEM's I've tried no problem but does anyone think I will have issues with this IEM.

Obviously nobody else has the EU version of the Sony player :) but what are people's thoughts, if its a "no" I will look elsewhere.

Edit I just remembered I have the Tin P1, it has a quoted sensitivity of 96db and its OK, just, for me @ 105 out of 120 volume steps.

The Trifecta's 94db will be a non-starter, I will look elsewhere and I've just saved over 3 grand, seems like the Sony Dap was a good choice after all. :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #59 of 902
Sensitivity @ 94dB its not a very sensitive IEM. I guess no one is driving these out of a Smartphone but I bought an EU Sony DAP.

It will drive all the IEM's I've tried no problem but does anyone think I will have issues with this IEM.

Obviously nobody else has the EU version of the Sony player :) but what are people's thoughts, if its a "no" I will look elsewhere.

Edit I just remembered I have the Tin P1, it has a quoted sensitivity of 96db and its OK, just, for me @ 105 out of 120 volume steps.

The Trifecta's 94db will be a non-starter, I will look elsewhere and I've just saved over 3 grand, seems like the Sony Dap was a good choice after all. :wink:
Pay attention, 94 dB SPL @ 1kHz: 16,91 mVrms is not the same has 94 db /1mw ,campfireaudio ,hell know why, changed theyr sensitivity specs parameters...

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #60 of 902
Trifecta is burning in nicely on my 1Z. It becomes earsplitting on volumes 40 on my 1Z (High Gain, balanced). The only issue I have with Trifecta atm is background hiss on Hugo 2. On my other devices (HM1000 Gold and WM1Z), no issues. Can't wait to clock in more hours, especially after settling on a pair of eartips. I'm not 100% on what they are but they look like Azla Sedna Ear Fit Lights.

IMG_0361.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back