Beyerdynamic A200P High-End Portable DAC
Sep 18, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #122 of 154
Huzzah.  Finally got around to remembering to see how the IE800 sounds with the A200P.  I must admit this might be my most enjoyable setup for when I want to listen to siriusxm as my desk.  Not high quality files, I know, but the IE800 has such an enjoyable sound for me, as well as quite a bit of comfort.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #123 of 154
  Hello ladies and gents, couple of questions I'm looking answers for on this product:
1) Does it do line-out when plugging to a desktop amp or receiver or is it essentially double-amping?
2) Is it too powerful the most sensitive of IEMS?

Thanks in advance, I might be joining the A200 family depending on those two.

As far as i can tell it just functions as an amp regardless of what its connected to. Its not a very powerful amp imo but i havent tested it with a very sensitive iem yet, It just so happens that i have the Shure SE846 coming tomorrow which is rated at 9ohms so i'll see how it handles it.

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #125 of 154
Hi, guys. Got new iPhone 6 and compared with my Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox firmware. Sansa's sound much better and i was dissapointed. Fortunately found this thread about portable dac A200. Just ordered this little box and i will report you about sound performance.

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #126 of 154
Beyerdynamic A200p & T51P Work great with my iPhone 6.  I use the $10 FLAC player app for my hi-res audio files.  This setup works great for me because phone calls interrupt the music.  I've missed calls when using my X5 and headphones when I couldn't hear the iPhone ring.  128GB storage on the iPhone now allows for many hi-res audio albums.  I'll post photos when my account permits...I'm a new member/poster.
Jim

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #128 of 154
Anyone tried the A200p and Beyerdynamic 770 80s?

I'm looking for a solution that will work both with my Mac Pro and my iPhone 6plus... the idea that I could use my 770s with my iPhone is pretty exciting...

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #129 of 154

I'm looking for a solution that will work both with my Mac Pro and my iPhone 6plus... the idea that I could use my 770s with my iPhone is pretty exciting...

Yeh the a200p powers the 80ohm 770s just fine, it would probably power the 250ohm model just fine as well. Its not a huge jump in sound quality but there are noticeable improvements to the bass quality, instrument seperation, depth of soundstage etc...Its definitely tuned for their type of sound as all my beyerdynamic cans have sounded fantastic through it especially my t51's, they sound incredible paired with this little amp.

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #130 of 154
  Anyone have any impressions on how the A200p pairs with the SE846? I would appreciate the input.

Bit of a late reply, the se846s sound pretty good paired with this amp. Comparing it to my galaxy s5 and ipad it adds a bit of emphasis to the top and bottom end so bass hits deeper and harder, the top end sparkles a little more and the soundstage feels a bit wider and deeper. My only gripe is there is a noticeable hiss when no music is playing and if you focus on it you can hear it at lowish volumes, at normal listening levels its fine.

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #131 of 154

you can save your money, there is no real upgrade as the Apple sound signature is pretty much the same, you get only a bit more power which reflects a more controlled bottom, but it is really minimal,I have it myself in combination with iPhone 5s, so I know what I am talking about. The difference worth mentioning is when using my Samsung Note 10.1 , but Apple is standard really good and I will go for an iPad mini with 128GB and get rid of the Samsung, which is a great tablet on it's own right but if mainly using for music, Apple is the better way to go.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #133 of 154
you can save your money, there is no real upgrade as the Apple sound signature is pretty much the same, you get only a bit more power which reflects a more controlled bottom, but it is really minimal,I have it myself in combination with iPhone 5s, so I know what I am talking about. The difference worth mentioning is when using my Samsung Note 10.1 , but Apple is standard really good and I will go for an iPad mini with 128GB and get rid of the Samsung, which is a great tablet on it's own right but if mainly using for music, Apple is the better way to go.

Well, to be clear, I'm hoping to find a common solution that I can use BOTH with my iPhone 6plus and with my Mac Pro. 

I'm okay lugging a little bit about if it's worth the haul. I mean, all we have to do is remember the days of those CD cases with room for enough CDs to make travel bearable and padded enough to keep the portable CD player from skipping and even modest carriers weren't exactly teeny. I'm not a small person and once I work out the flow of where things go and how to get to them which is really the key, then as long as it's not too cumbersome, then I'm pretty flexible when it comes to form factor. 

This is why I'm looking at solutions like the A 200P as well as the JDS O2/ODAC separates (I need the battery for the portability so the combo wouldn't work for me... seems silly that modders have figured out how to combine them both into a single case, but the company won't sell it that way... anyway...)

It's good to know that now the question is WHICH affordable solution do I choose for my headphone amp which can be both my desktop amp and my portable amp? These are "heady" days....

Thanks all for the help.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #134 of 154
I JUST got and opened my Beyerdynamic A 200 p and hooked it up via Lightening connector to my iPod Touch 5th gen and to my Beyerdynamic T 5 p headphones.  Though several folks have said that the current Apple products have such good DAC and headphone amp output that an external DAC/amp doesn't really improve things, I still (on just a few songs so far) find that the soundstage gets larger.  Have to listen more to see if other aspects like transparency, bass, etc. are improved.

BUT....

The volume control on the iPod still affects the volume in the headphone.  If it is the digital signal that is being grabbed from the Lightening connector, how can that be, as the digital signal precedes the (analog) volume control in the iPod?   When I use my more bulky but fabulous Sony PHA-1 DAC/amp with Lightening connector to the same iPod, the iPod has no volume effect, and the dot indicating position on the volume slider on the iPod display disappears.  With the A 200 P it is still there.

Am I really using an analog signal through the Lightening connector?  Or are there commands also sent on the Lightening connector that interprets the setting of the iPod volume control to mek the A 200 change its volume in synchrony?  If so, that is handy, as I have found like many others that the big disc of the A 200 volume control is hard to turn via friction (unless I put the little tacky dot on it, which I have not yet).

Thanks for any information you can give.

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #135 of 154
  I JUST got and opened my Beyerdynamic A 200 p and hooked it up via Lightening connector to my iPod Touch 5th gen and to my Beyerdynamic T 5 p headphones.  Though several folks have said that the current Apple products have such good DAC and headphone amp output that an external DAC/amp doesn't really improve things, I still (on just a few songs so far) find that the soundstage gets larger.  Have to listen more to see if other aspects like transparency, bass, etc. are improved.

BUT....

The volume control on the iPod still affects the volume in the headphone.  If it is the digital signal that is being grabbed from the Lightening connector, how can that be, as the digital signal precedes the (analog) volume control in the iPod?   When I use my more bulky but fabulous Sony PHA-1 DAC/amp with Lightening connector to the same iPod, the iPod has no volume effect, and the dot indicating position on the volume slider on the iPod display disappears.  With the A 200 P it is still there.

Am I really using an analog signal through the Lightening connector?  Or are there commands also sent on the Lightening connector that interprets the setting of the iPod volume control to mek the A 200 change its volume in synchrony?  If so, that is handy, as I have found like many others that the big disc of the A 200 volume control is hard to turn via friction (unless I put the little tacky dot on it, which I have not yet).

Thanks for any information you can give.

I noticed that if i play music normally thru my idevice at like 50% and then connect my a200p and play at 75% and then disconnect the a200p the idevice volume drops back down to 50% again. So as far as i can tell its just the idevice volume control syncing with the a200p.
I too have found that the soundstage increases when using this device, to my ears it also adds a bit of kick to the top and bottom end as well. I notice this quite a bit with my shure srh1540s, out of my other sources the 1540 sub bass is fairly light and top end can lack some sparkle, when i pair it with the a200p the sub bass gets a nice boost and top end a little more sparkle which makes for a more exciting listen.
My T51i's sound VERY good paired with this device i imagine the T5p must sound phenomenal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back