Beyerdynamic A200P High-End Portable DAC
Jan 17, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #136 of 154
Hi guys,

Help, Please :)

I' ve just bought A200p and I have a problem with USB charging cable.
Everything works great with my iPhone but it doestn't work with my Mac and PC. Laptops doesn't see the amp, charging diode doesn't work (I tried USB charger too).
It's probably just USB cable. I hope - I bought the amp in US, I returned to Europe and there is no such a cable on Beyerdynamic's site.

Can I buy such a cable somewhere else? Maybye somebody knows what is the type of the connector used in A200p? Can I buy it?

I will try to charge and connect it to my Mac with micro USB cable and micro USB to usb adapter. Maybye that will work.

Thank you in advance :)

BTW I use it with Sennheiser Momentum and iPhone 5s. Difference in sound quality may not be worth 300$ but now I can think of better cans to listen on the go.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #137 of 154
Hi guys,

Help, Please
smily_headphones1.gif

I' ve just bought A200p and I have a problem with USB charging cable.
Everything works great with my iPhone but it doestn't work with my Mac and PC. Laptops doesn't see the amp, charging diode doesn't work (I tried USB charger too).
It's probably just USB cable. I hope - I bought the amp in US, I returned to Europe and there is no such a cable on Beyerdynamic's site.

Can I buy such a cable somewhere else? Maybye somebody knows what is the type of the connector used in A200p? Can I buy it?

I will try to charge and connect it to my Mac with micro USB cable and micro USB to usb adapter. Maybye that will work.

Thank you in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW I use it with Sennheiser Momentum and iPhone 5s. Difference in sound quality may not be worth 300$ but now I can think of better cans to listen on the go.

Might check the Beyerdynamic A 200 p Compatibility List, here:

http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/media/usermanual/DAT_A200p_DE-EN_compatibility-list.pdf

It makes mention on the lowest lines of some things about MAC versions and things that might not work.

The USB-looking connector that goes into the A200p is Beyer proprietary, as I understand it, NOT USB (though it looks frustratingly similar).  If you actually had a bad cord, I would be surprised that it would work on the PC, where I understand you do not have problems.  My A 200 p charges just fine from a variety of USB wall warts, just as long as I use the Beyer cord with its special connector to the A 200 p.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #139 of 154
No. It has one input, from the iPod Lightening connector via an A200 custom (non standard) plug, and one output... to headphone, controlled via the volume control disc.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #140 of 154
  Coincidentally, I received a promotional email from Headroom featuring this item.  In it, it stated the following:

"Originally the Astell&Kern AK10, Beyerdynamic has now officially rebranded the AK10 as the A 200 p for USA release. It's the same great product with the same great quality, now with a new logo on the front! We have these in stock and ready to ship."​

If anyone intrested I sell mine,mine is the EU edition under Beyerdynamic flag, latest edition,looks like new,never used outdoors and always in leather bag. You can PM me with serious offer, new 299 Euro.For 150 Euro it is yours, absolute mint!, as it was/is always in the protecting leathercase.

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #141 of 154
  Just heard back from Pete Carini at Beyer North America.  Even though Beyer's website says the 30 pin cable is not compatible with the iPod Classic, Pete tried the cable with his Classic and it worked.  Based on his comments, I've placed an order for the cable and will test it with my 160 GB 7th Gen. Classic.  I'll post an update after the cable arrives once I've had a chance to test it with my Classic.  But good news!

Did you try the cable? The $22 is kind of expensive for a cable through.

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #143 of 154
How do you know when the dac is fully charged? There's no way of knowing? Also I need the proprietary micro USB to Beyerdynamic which I can't seem to get a hold of. I have an issue where the a200 makes the tracks skip unless its set to locked. Very annoying.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #146 of 154
My intended use was to was to attach it to a smart phone and enjoy good sound on the go. The sound is amazing and I wish this worked but the connecting usb cable is very, very poor. I would say atrocious quality. I went through two samples, one had problems from the start, the other started to flake out after 1 week of use. This sounds petty and one may say, should be easy to fix but here is catch, the USB cables have proprietary wiring and, at the time of this writing, Beyerdynamic does not offer replacements. What is worse, I tried to contact Beyerdynamic twice, never got a reply back. In my experience, there is no solution to a dead USB cable, you would be stuck with a dead unit. Normally, I don't write reviews that don't add anything new from what was written already but, given the fact that this issue is not highlighted very well, I felt folks should know. If anyone at Beyerdynamic reads this, a high end unit deserves a good USB cable. If you decide to use a proprietary cable, at least make sure you support it well. Anyway, I moved on and ordered a Fiio E18, hopefully it will work better.      

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #147 of 154
  My intended use was to was to attach it to a smart phone and enjoy good sound on the go. The sound is amazing and I wish this worked but the connecting usb cable is very, very poor. I would say atrocious quality. I went through two samples, one had problems from the start, the other started to flake out after 1 week of use. This sounds petty and one may say, should be easy to fix but here is catch, the USB cables have proprietary wiring and, at the time of this writing, Beyerdynamic does not offer replacements. What is worse, I tried to contact Beyerdynamic twice, never got a reply back. In my experience, there is no solution to a dead USB cable, you would be stuck with a dead unit. Normally, I don't write reviews that don't add anything new from what was written already but, given the fact that this issue is not highlighted very well, I felt folks should know. If anyone at Beyerdynamic reads this, a high end unit deserves a good USB cable. If you decide to use a proprietary cable, at least make sure you support it well. Anyway, I moved on and ordered a Fiio E18, hopefully it will work better.      

The Fiio should work out better.  I loved the design of the A200p but it kept cutting out on the iPhone and needed to be turned off and on again.  Other reviewers at Amazon said the same thing. 

I know it is a different league financially, but did you check out the Mojo?  I am using it with iPhone 6, yes, but also for desk top DAC and Amp and it drives my 600 ohm Beyers wonderfully.  

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #148 of 154
Thanks for the recommendation. I will give fiio a chance, if it does not cut it, I will spend the extra money on the Mojo. I need something strictly for mobile use, I have a different setup for desktop use. It's sad, there is so much good engineering work behind the unit and then they decide to cheap out on the cables... makes no sense. I wish the reviewers would bring up these problems. You have to dig up through these posts to notice some of these problems.    

May 17, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #149 of 154
For those that care, beyer is selling the a200p for $110 on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/beyerdynamic-A200p-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-/111887922030?hash=item1a0d0a336e:g:k9AAAOSwXshWqU9n

Unfortunately, wit this disclaimer:

- Discontinued Product sale! $110.00
- No more firmware updates available. 
- Does not work with most current iOS 9.3

Bummer.

May 17, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #150 of 154
  For those that care, beyer is selling the a200p for $110 on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/beyerdynamic-A200p-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-/111887922030?hash=item1a0d0a336e:g:k9AAAOSwXshWqU9n

Unfortunately, wit this disclaimer:

- Discontinued Product sale! $110.00
- No more firmware updates available. 
- Does not work with most current iOS 9.3

Bummer.

Only two left, and being sold by Beyerdynamic.

In addition to the great sound of the Wolfson DAC, this little box on your belt adds the iPhone in-line remote functions of volume, skip/repeat, and pause in a handy place.  The wire from it to your iPhone (yep, only works with Lightening connector iPlayers) is just a mite short at about 4", and it receives stress from bending in use that can degrade the connection into the A 200p  Unfortunately, the cable is proprietary... non-standard connection into the A 200p.  I am amazed it is said not to work with current iOS, as I have never had problems. with older ones.  I will have to check mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back