Best RCA cables for the money
Feb 7, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #61 of 159

Quote:
I've owned the Cardas Sennheiser cable. There was no difference. I left it on for a couple of years to make sure.

The standard reply is that there's something wrong with my hearing. I doubt it. I've spent a few thousand hours playing music and have very good relative pitch. I can tell when my instrument goes sharp or flat and can tune myself nicely compared to electronic tuners.

But the cables did nothing. My oscilloscope and DMM agreed.

Are you saying that you're completely immune to things like optical illusions? They get me every time. Seem to fool everyone else, as well. What you think you're hearing is the result of expectation and placebo. This is well-illustrated by numerous tests of wine. People taste what they expect to taste. Tell them that it is an expensive wine and they think they're tasting an expensive wine. This is a normal human reaction. You're not a bad person and there's nothing wrong with you. You're simply hearing what you expect to hear.

This is why cable "differences" vanish when a person doesn't know what cable they're listening to. Take away the expectation and the difference disappears. You'll probably launch into a complicated explanation of why the listening tests are "invalid," but the simple truth is that they negate expectation and placebo biases. Without those, cables all sound the same. This has been demonstrated time and time again.

And if your ears are so golden, please tell us about the channel imbalances in your gear. If you've ever worked with electronics, you'll know that there is a tolerance in every cap and resistor. Usually 10% or so, but the very best can be 1%. I strongly doubt your equipment is at 1% or better. That takes buying a quantity of each component and carefully matching them between channels. That's very expensive and I don't know of any manufacturer that precisely matches channels. Meaning that there is probably a 10% or so difference between the left and right channels in your gear.

Can you tell me which channel is stronger than the other in your rig?

Now, it'd be a simple matter to take a DMM and measure the difference between R1, etc. in your left and right channels. This could be done with a wide variety of test gear, all producing the same numbers. And there will be differences between channels in 20-40 components in your gear.

How can you hear unmeasurable differences in cables when you cannot hear the measurable differences between left and right? If your ears are that sensitive, then you should be hopping mad that your left and right channels don't sound precisely the same. It'd be quite easy to prove, without question, that your left and right channels have different output.

So which channel is stronger than the other in your amp?

I won't even begin to go there regarding the channel imbalance since whatever imbalance I do perceive might be due to slightly less sensitive hearing in one ear than the other or to the recording or to other factors such as the one you mention. You are so persuasive that I actually took my stock cable out and started using it to see if I noticed any difference. Maybe I was imagining it. Nope. Immediate perceptible difference.  I will say you are the very first person who has actually listened to both cables and didn't hear a difference. Congratulations on that. I won't criticize your hearing.  I'll just stick to the Cardas. It's no skin off anyone's back which cable I listen to.

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #62 of 159
It normally doesn't take two years to hear a difference... 
wink_face.gif

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #63 of 159
No, you hear a difference immediately if you think you're going to hear a difference.

But if you don't know what you're listening to, no one ever hears a difference. Take expectation out of the equation and no one can tell.

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #66 of 159
yo who cares if its just illusions or if its just memorex so long as its good. didnt some sage once said "lifes but an illusion" so whether thats truth or not, if a person hears a difference then that what counts. no point trying to debunk something someone else spending their money on. afterall its their money so its all good. 

& yes i now believe cos i hear a diff. mite make me a fool but hey so long as im a happy fool, i glad to be one 
happy_face1.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #69 of 159
Hi here, i'm new to this forum! I'm actually a noob audiophile (even dwarves start from the bottom) and i was wondering if a change of cables could enhance my experience of sound. I'm actually using a X-Fi HD usb with M-Audio AV40 connected via RCA but i bought the cheapest RCA ones since i didn't know if it changes anything. So if anyone could give me any idea about this, i would really appreciate it
L3000.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #70 of 159
Hi here, i'm new to this forum! I'm actually a noob audiophile (even dwarves start from the bottom) and i was wondering if a change of cables could enhance my experience of sound. I'm actually using a X-Fi HD usb with M-Audio AV40 connected via RCA but i bought the cheapest RCA ones since i didn't know if it changes anything. So if anyone could give me any idea about this, i would really appreciate it
L3000.gif

You are opening a HUGE can of worms. There are some here that will say as long as it is built decent that is all that you need when it comes to a cable. There are others that will tell you that you need to spend $$$$$$$$ for one, as it really helps. And then those same people will tell you that if you bought a super expensive cable, but still cannot hear a difference, all of your equipment sucks. My opinion is, as long as its decently built, you're fine. Your money would be better spent elsewhere, where there are known and audible improvements.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #71 of 159
mukumi, I wouldn't worry much about cables at the moment if I were you; instead I'll look to upgrade the speakers, if possible. one choice of powered monitors would be the KRK's. lot's of advice to be found here about active speakers. find a local guitar store, they usually carry powered monitors, try to audition speakers just to get an idea of different sound. but most important don't buy something because it says "it's best", learn to trust your ears... welcome to the madness :wink:

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #72 of 159
there's no can of worms to be opened, not even a tiny one - doesn't exist. It's all a lack of prospective. I guess this usually happen when people talk about something they don't have experience with. it's pretty obvious recommending expensive cables in this case would be totally senseless and needless. was he using $2k speakers with other associated components then I'd definitely recommend him to try better cables. and you know why? because I've actually tried the damn thing, it's personal experience; unlike most of you naysayers who only speak out of some improvised theories. please, get your facts straight.

Quote:
You are opening a HUGE can of worms. There are some here that will say as long as it is built decent that is all that you need when it comes to a cable. There are others that will tell you that you need to spend $$$$$$$$ for one, as it really helps. And then those same people will tell you that if you bought a super expensive cable, but still cannot hear a difference, all of your equipment sucks. My opinion is, as long as its decently built, you're fine. Your money would be better spent elsewhere, where there are known and audible improvements.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #73 of 159
there's no can of worms to be opened, not even a tiny one - doesn't exist. It's all a lack of prospective. I guess this usually happen when people talk about something they don't have experience with. it's pretty obvious recommending expensive cables in this case would be totally senseless and needless. was he using $2k speakers with other associated components then I'd definitely recommend him to try better cables. and you know why? because I've actually tried the damn thing, it's personal experience; unlike most of you naysayers who only speak out of some improvised theories. please, get your facts straight.

Aaaaaaand, you ripped the lid off of the can of worms I was referring to. And get our facts straight? All the naysayers do is provide facts. And that is all I have to say. I knew this would open a can of worms, and it did.

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #74 of 159
mmm... perhaps I should be more considerate about how I express thoughts. the comment does seem confrontational, but that's really not my prime intention (more like lost in translation) . I'm just trying to make a point across. I do apologise if it's the case.

well, it's open now... 

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #75 of 159

Quote:
How can you hear unmeasurable differences in cables when you cannot hear the measurable differences between left and right? If your ears are that sensitive, then you should be hopping mad that your left and right channels don't sound precisely the same. It'd be quite easy to prove, without question, that your left and right channels have different output.

There you go again with logic and consistency.

Quote:
I will say you are the very first person who has actually listened to both cables and didn't hear a difference. Congratulations on that. I won't criticize your hearing.

Damn... that makes me the second person.

To each his own- absolutely.  The problem is when someone asks for purchasing advice.  While I don't doubt that there are many subtle differences among certain components and combinations within, I think the danger comes when those differences are over-stated.  I get a little tired of these huge day-and-night differences that can't be picked out of a simple (blind and impartial) line-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back