Beresford TC-7510 DAC MKII
Mar 9, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #271 of 338
Have you also considered the Monica2? Mine is burning in and it's already astonishingly good -- the midrange is as good as I've ever heard. It's been favorably compared to the Benchmark DAC1 and other much more expensive DACs and I can hear why.

Russell

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooh nice to see some mods coming in! If I do get this (over the Zhaolu) I probably won't end up modding it though... I have NO electronics knowledge so I probably wouldn't know how.

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #272 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by hortiholic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you also considered the Monica2? Mine is burning in and it's already astonishingly good -- the midrange is as good as I've ever heard. It's been favorably compared to the Benchmark DAC1 and other much more expensive DACs and I can hear why.

Russell

Mmm... Looks a bit too DIY for me. Is it possible to buy it pre-assembled with the case and everything?

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #273 of 338
The assembled version is here: http://diyparadise.com/shop/index.ph...&products_id=7

You can buy it with or without a switch mode power supply. I run mine off a 3.4Ah SLA battery rather than from an SMPS.

Russell

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmm... Looks a bit too DIY for me. Is it possible to buy it pre-assembled with the case and everything?

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #274 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by hortiholic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The assembled version is here: http://diyparadise.com/shop/index.ph...&products_id=7

You can buy it with or without a switch mode power supply. I run mine off a 3.4Ah SLA battery rather than from an SMPS.

Russell

Erm... Thats alot too much over budget
blink.gif

I'm only willing to pay around... $200 at the most...

Anyway, I'm buying the TC-7510 right now. After that, I will make NO more head-fi related purchases.

Mar 12, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #275 of 338
I just received my Beresford 7510 MkIII, and out of the box I think it sounds wonderful. All evening I've been listening to iRiver H120|Optical>Beresford>K701. I haven't seen much enthusiasm here for the Beresford's headphone out, but this set-up has been sounding good to me playing 320kbps MP3s. I bought the Beresford to try on my Squeezebox 3, so now I can't wait to hear how it sounds, and whether it improves the Squeezebox.

I shall leave it playing for a few days to burn it in first.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #277 of 338
I just received a sample of the ad8599 opamp. It sounds absolutely fantastic in the tec tc-7510. I would highly recommend swapping this opamp in if you have soldering skills. It is better than the already very good lm4562. I thought that I would have to pay for my sample from Analog Devices, but they sent them for free. I suppose I can slightly pay them back by letting people know that they are very good. I will probably write more after I have had time to listen.

Mar 16, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #278 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by izquierdaste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received a sample of the ad8599 opamp. It sounds absolutely fantastic in the tec tc-7510. I would highly recommend swapping this opamp in if you have soldering skills. It is better than the already very good lm4562. I thought that I would have to pay for my sample from Analog Devices, but they sent them for free. I suppose I can slightly pay them back by letting people know that they are very good. I will probably write more after I have had time to listen.

Oooh sounds good! How easy is it to solder something as small as an opamp? It must be hard....

Mar 16, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #280 of 338
Quote:

Are you working with the MK111 version?

Mar 16, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #281 of 338
The dac opamp is surface mount and is in a fairly congested area. It is located near the first set of rca outputs. It is a small rectangular chip with the the info scratched out. The desoldering is actually more difficult than the soldering. It is not that difficult, but I would not suggest it as a first project. If you have some surplus/broken electronics, you should practice soldering and desoldering those first. Since the area is fairly congested, you do run some risk of damaging the dac.

All of my mods were performed on the TEC version sold by phono preamps. The power supply cap size (4700uf) was suggested by Herandu, who reported that this was one of the changes for the MKIII

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #282 of 338
Quote:

The dac opamp is surface mount and is in a fairly congested area. It is located near the first set of rca outputs. It is a small rectangular chip with the the info scratched out. The desoldering is actually more difficult than the soldering. It is not that difficult, but I would not suggest it as a first project. If you have some surplus/broken electronics, you should practice soldering and desoldering those first. Since the area is fairly congested, you do run some risk of damaging the dac.

All of my mods were performed on the TEC version sold by phono preamps. The power supply cap size (4700uf) was suggested by Herandu, who reported that this was one of the changes for the MKIII

This sounds like a good idea. I've been wanting to get into electronics and soldering for a while now... Never really got round to it.

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #284 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anyone in the US selling these? Phonopreamps no longer carries it.

just get one from Stanley. Shipping is actually very reasonable and fast

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #285 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just get one from Stanley. Shipping is actually very reasonable and fast

His price on eBay was nearly $100 more than the phonopreamp model. I will also need to add a m-audio transit and at that price I could get a MicroDac. I know some people prefer this model over the MicroDac, but I would rather order a known commodity if I am paying the same amount.

I may send Larry and email to see what kind of discounts he offers.

I would be curious to see how it compares with the Entech203.2 since I am using one of those with and Audigy 2 card while I decide what DAC (if any) to purchase. How do you think it compares?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back