Beresford TC-7510 DAC MKII
Mar 18, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #286 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would be curious to see how it compares with the Entech203.2 since I am using one of those with and Audigy 2 card while I decide what DAC (if any) to purchase. How do you think it compares?

I would say it's better. I upgraded to my Zhaolu from a 203.2 and the MKIII is pretty comparable to my Zhaolu

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #287 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say it's better. I upgraded to my Zhaolu from a 203.2 and the MKIII is pretty comparable to my Zhaolu

Thanks for the info!

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #288 of 338
Quote:

His price on eBay was nearly $100 more than the phonopreamp model. I will also need to add a m-audio transit and at that price I could get a MicroDac. I know some people prefer this model over the MicroDac, but I would rather order a known commodity if I am paying the same amount.

I may send Larry and email to see what kind of discounts he offers.

I would be curious to see how it compares with the Entech203.2 since I am using one of those with and Audigy 2 card while I decide what DAC (if any) to purchase. How do you think it compares?

I just bought a Beresford DAC, and I think there is one aspect of it that people don't refer to often enough. It has four digital inputs (2 x Coax + 2 x optical) selected by four buttons on the front. I have installed mine in my hifi system, where it replaces the DAC in my Squeezebox 3 and the DAC in my digital TV decoder (Freeview box in the UK). I hope also to use it to upgrade the sound quality of my DVD recorder when I can get behind it and fiddle with the connectors. I recenty realised that all my hifi sources except my turntable are digital and I have been looking for a multi-input 'digital preamp' with DAC that would potentially upgrade several of my digital devices, and this is it. I probably shan't use it with my CD player, as that is quite good and probably wouldn't be improved by it, although I shall try it. Also, when I first received the Beresford I connected it to the optical output of my iRiver H120 and it seemed like a pretty serviceable headphone amp, driving my K701s well. So, although it doesn't have a USB input, having four conveniently switchable digital inputs and a headphone amp in a small form factor makes a very useful device for not much money.

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #289 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a Beresford DAC, and I think there is one aspect of it that people don't refer to often enough. It has four digital inputs (2 x Coax + 2 x optical) selected by four buttons on the front. I have installed mine in my hifi system, where it replaces the DAC in my Squeezebox 3 and the DAC in my digital TV decoder (Freeview box in the UK). I hope also to use it to upgrade the sound quality of my DVD recorder when I can get behind it and fiddle with the connectors. I recenty realised that all my hifi sources except my turntable are digital and I have been looking for a multi-input 'digital preamp' with DAC that would potentially upgrade several of my digital devices, and this is it. I probably shan't use it with my CD player, as that is quite good and probably wouldn't be improved by it, although I shall try it. Also, when I first received the Beresford I connected it to the optical output of my iRiver H120 and it seemed like a pretty serviceable headphone amp, driving my K701s well. So, although it doesn't have a USB input, having four conveniently switchable digital inputs and a headphone amp in a small form factor makes a very useful device for not much money.

This was one of the main things I liked about the unit when comparing it to the Micro Dac. I also like the RCA outputs as opposed to the mini line-out on the Micro Dac. My issue is the lack of user experiences with the TC-7510 and lack of USB input (which will require me to spend money on a transport).

I tried to order this from phonopreamps and the total with shipping came to $159.50. They ended up refunding my money and saying that it was an out of date page I ordered it from. Anyway, it is hard to cough up another hundred bucks for the same unit now.

I am still on the fence about which one to get. Since, the TC-7510 is sold out until the end of the month, I have some time to make up my decision.

Has anyone compared this DAC directly to the Micro Dac for sound quality?

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #290 of 338
Quote:

His price on eBay was nearly $100 more than the phonopreamp model.

The Phonopreamp model was about U$50
blink.gif
? The Beresford version sold outside the EU is less than U$180 shipped according to my information. I think the EU version includes EU sales taxes. I ordered one for shipment to South America as a present for my cousin. It worked out at U$170 inc. shipping on the day. I paid more than that when I ordered one via eBay for myself for delivery to the UK! So I think that he gives a better deal when you order direct compared to when you order via eBay. Possibly the eBay fees?

Mar 18, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #291 of 338
Quote:

I tried to order this from phonopreamps and the total with shipping came to $159.50. They ended up refunding my money and saying that it was an out of date page I ordered it from. Anyway, it is hard to cough up another hundred bucks for the same unit now.

my advise to you is to check your figures again. They don't sound right to me.

Mar 18, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #292 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my advise to you is to check your figures again. They don't sound right to me.

I will do that when they go back up for auction. The last time I looked, it was showing $240+ on eBay. Maybe the converter from pound to US currency was messed up or something. If it is less than $200, I will be getting one. Thanks for the info.

UPDATE: I sent Stanley an email to clear things up and the end result is that I ordered one tonight! Sorry for the confusion about the price. I am glad it was less than I thought!

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #293 of 338
Quote:

UPDATE: I sent Stanley an email to clear things up and the end result is that I ordered one tonight! Sorry for the confusion about the price. I am glad it was less than I thought!

And let us know how it sounds after you get to try it out this weekend. Mind you, don't forget the burn in time.

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #294 of 338
I talked with Stanley last week, and I think MKIV version will have USB connection
cool.gif
he is working on it.

I'm really happy with my MKIII version, I use the two outputs, one for my hi-fi equipment and the other to Original Master Headphone. I use optical in from my Theatron soundcard. At the moment I don't try my Opera Consonance CD120 LINEAR (a true 16-bit) as transport to compare.

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #295 of 338
i talked to stanley last year and he was thinking of it. so it is a good news that he still have that in mind. and may we ask for a better headphone amp. i believe people that listen to headphone in workplace will appreciate its small size and compactness. i myself included. i sacrifice SQ for convenience. Stanley, i hope you're listening/reading...
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #296 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by dacari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I talked with Stanley last week, and I think MKIV version will have USB connection
cool.gif
he is working on it.

I'm really happy with my MKIII version, I use the two outputs, one for my hi-fi equipment and the other to Original Master Headphone. I use optical in from my Theatron soundcard. At the moment I don't try my Opera Consonance CD120 LINEAR (a true 16-bit) as transport to compare.

He better not release the MK IV any time soon, right after I ordered the MK III
frown.gif

Wonder if I sent the MK III and some money, he'd upgrade it when it comes out...

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #297 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He better not release the MK IV any time soon, right after I ordered the MK III
frown.gif

Yeah, I am thinking the same thing! I ordered an m-audio transit and I guess I can live with that setup, but USB would have been great.

Quote:

And let us know how it sounds after you get to try it out this weekend. Mind you, don't forget the burn in time

It may be next week before I receive it. Stanley said he likes to run some extra tests before sending them on a long trip.

fraseyboy, I am hoping this will be my final headphone related purchase for the year, so I know how ya feel.
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #299 of 338
Yus! A Card to Call was on my doorstep when I got home! Problem is, now I need to wait till tomorrow until I can go down to the place to pick it up
frown.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #300 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yus! A Card to Call was on my doorstep when I got home! Problem is, now I need to wait till tomorrow until I can go down to the place to pick it up
frown.gif

Nice! Don't forget to let us know your impression once it's in your arms!
biggrin.gif

I will be getting mine soon, and I will do a comprehensive review of it once it gets here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back