Beresford TC-7510 DAC MKII
Feb 24, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #242 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok then...

Well how would it compare to the M-Audio Audiophile USB or the Edirol UA25?

Errr ... this could go on for a long time .....
rs1smile.gif
... how many DACs are there in the world ??

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #243 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by jandl100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Errr ... this could go on for a long time .....
rs1smile.gif
... how many DACs are there in the world ??

Lol I just want to know how it compares to those two. They are both similar priced to the 7510, and are available locally so I was wondering if I would be better off with either of them, or the 7510.

So how would they compare?

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #244 of 338
I just ordered the MkIII, Stanley said it should ship next week. Can't wait! My MkII is excellent, but the volume and dynamic range are a little less than ideal. Hopefully the MkIII will fix this.

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #246 of 338
I just got a used US version on ebay. I am thinking that I'd like to put in an lm4562 for the dac output and bypass EC8 and EC9, which look to be couping caps. I also plan to upgrade the power supply cap to maybe 1000 uf fm series. I will also upgrade ec10, ec1, ec7, ec8 to better elecrolytics if I can fit them. I'll also try to add caps to c9 and c11 ala herandu. It is somewhat irritating that they blacked out the opamps so I can't easily check to see what else might be compatible.

For the more experienced people, does this sound reasonable?

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #247 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by izquierdaste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a used US version on ebay. I am thinking that I'd like to put in an lm4562 for the dac output and bypass EC8 and EC9, which look to be couping caps. I also plan to upgrade the power supply cap to maybe 1000 uf fm series. I will also upgrade ec10, ec1, ec7, ec8 to better elecrolytics if I can fit them. I'll also try to add caps to c9 and c11 ala herandu. It is somewhat irritating that they blacked out the opamps so I can't easily check to see what else might be compatible.

If you had got a MKIII then you would have noticed the power supply cap is 4700uF. and of course the MKIII has the better caps. But you have at least the bare bones of the TCC version which can be upgraded to be close to the MKIII.

Opamp? Surface mount. Don't drink or use drugs before attempting working in that enclosed environment
blink.gif
. Then find a OPA627 and swap the opamp.

I suppose after all the mods the price will be close to the MKIII, but there is no substitution for the fun of doing it yourself.

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #248 of 338
Quote:

For the more experienced people, does this sound reasonable?

Any chance of a review?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #249 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you had got a MKIII then you would have noticed the power supply cap is 4700uF. and of course the MKIII has the better caps. But you have at least the bare bones of the TCC version which can be upgraded to be close to the MKIII.

Opamp? Surface mount. Don't drink or use drugs before attempting working in that enclosed environment
blink.gif
. Then find a OPA627 and swap the opamp.

I suppose after all the mods the price will be close to the MKIII, but there is no substitution for the fun of doing it yourself.

I've found that drugs and soldering irons don't go hand in hand as a general rule, so i'll follow your advice. Surely the opamp is a dual, so I couldn't put 627 in there. Maybe i could find 2107 as surface mount, but I have been looking to try 4562 and it supposedly doesn't leak dc. I'll give the 4700uf a shot for the power supply. Hopefully the 4562 is compatible with the dac since it will be a tight fit working in there.

Feb 25, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #250 of 338
Quote:

Surely the opamp is a dual, so I couldn't put 627 in there. .

My bad typing at the early hours of the morning and not concentrating
frown.gif
. I forgot I used one of these :
SMAdapters
I am far down the line of the original case. Might show pics of all my mods once it is finished for a possible Mod Your TC-7510 Thread
wink.gif
. So excuse my lack of pics
icon10.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #251 of 338
I got mine yesterday and before I even turned it on I modded with larger power cap, changed all the surface caps, bypassed the caps with ploy, changed one diode with ultra fast diode. I let it play music for about 24 hours and peek hearing here and there and it's not bad. I am planning to use a SLA battery to power it just to see if it makes any difference. I will do more "formal" comparo with my Ack! dAck! 1.3 around 150 hour mark....but so far it's better or equal to Ack! dAck! I have at hand. It's definitely a great buy
biggrin.gif
You might find my Ack! dAck! in A'gon or in FS forum soon
wink.gif

One thing is for sure. I will NOT be using the headphone amp on it. There is a bad 'hisss' noise at any level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be getting the US version soon, in 2 days. I had few DAC in recent past so I can do some opinionated review when I get it and burned in for about 200hours.

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #252 of 338
I've had a TC-7510 (the mkII iteration) for a couple months, and find it to be a very good value. Excellent resolution and a very "musical" presentation. Its sound is a bit thinner and more "digital" than my ideal, however -- it could use more body and weight and darkness at times. So after much research of the options (going over much ground covered three months ago before buying the TC-7510) I've ordered a Monica2, which judging from the web commentary will have a sound more to my liking. I'll post my reactions here.

BTW, the U.S. seller of the TC-7510 unit -- phonopreamps.com -- isn't going to be offering the "mkIII" version and is selling off the last if his "mk-II" models.

Russell

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #253 of 338
I think changing the power caps and few other simple mods can change that "thin-digital" SQ of stock TC7510. I thought my modded version sounded as "organic" as my Ack Dack NOS DAC on a quick impression, before some burn-in process. The last mod will be to use SLA battery (12vDC at max of 3amp) instead of cheap power supply that came with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hortiholic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had a TC-7510 (the mkII iteration) for a couple months, and find it to be a very good value. Excellent resolution and a very "musical" presentation. Its sound is a bit thinner and more "digital" than my ideal, however -- it could use more body and weight and darkness at times. So after much research of the options (going over much ground covered three months ago before buying the TC-7510) I've ordered a Monica2, which judging from the web commentary will have a sound more to my liking. I'll post my reactions here.

BTW, the U.S. seller of the TC-7510 unit -- phonopreamps.com -- isn't going to be offering the "mkIII" version and is selling off the last if his "mk-II" models.

Russell

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #254 of 338
Quote:

I think changing the power caps and few other simple mods can change that "thin-digital" SQ of stock TC7510. I thought my modded version sounded as "organic" as my Ack Dack NOS DAC on a quick impression, before some burn-in process.

I agree with you that changing the caps have a dramatic effect on the TC-7510. The MKIII with its new caps is like a completely different DAC. The thin sound, cautious bass, etc have all gone.
If Russell was living close by I would have loaned him my unit just to compare before he jumps ship.
Sorry to hear about the US seller. But things like a DAC require a different level of understanding of music and the support customers seek. Box shifting alone is not good enough for this type of product. But hopefully Beresford will be able to fill that void in the US and Canada market without much or any price penalties.

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #255 of 338
Quote:

I think changing the power caps and few other simple mods can change that "thin-digital" SQ of stock TC7510. I thought my modded version sounded as "organic" as my Ack Dack NOS DAC on a quick impression, before some burn-in process. The last mod will be to use SLA battery (12vDC at max of 3amp) instead of cheap power supply that came with it.

Can you post a picture of the cap mods when you get a chance. I would be curious to see what you used.

I had also forgot they made a sop8 to dip8 adapter. It must be tight to comibne that with a single to dual adapter, especially if you throw in sockets. I think I might put in a sop8 to dip8 so that I can easily try opa2107, lm4562, and ad8599 when that is released to the masses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back