Beresford TC-7510 DAC MKII
Feb 22, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #226 of 338
Has anyone done any direct comparisons between the new Beresford MKIII and the Moodlab DACs?

I bought a Beresford MKII a little while ago, and while I found it to be a big improvement over my CD player, there was always something niggling at me about its sound. It was detailed but it didn't have quite enough bass for my liking, and I found that it was slightly 'flat' sounding sometimes when there was alot going on in the music. Also, it had a very low level output. In all, it was good but not mind blowing.

I decided to sell the Beresford after a while and I bought a Moodlab Concept to replace it. This was after thinking long and hard about whether or not I should wait and get a MKIII when it came out. I found the Moodlab to be much better sounding, to my ears. It was fuller sounding with even a touch more detail, quite punchy and dynamic too.

So, what I want to know is, does the MKIII beat the Moodlabs?

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #227 of 338
Where did you get your Moodlab Concept?

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #229 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I'm kinda still in between the Zhaolu 2.5A (with amp upgrade) and the TC-7510 MK3. The DAC-AH is also an option.

I guess I won't know which to buy until someone comes along who has two, or all three. Hopefully that will happen soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have them but I do have a Zhaolu D2.0 - mildly modified and a TC-7510 Mk.1 plus a bog standard DAC-AH, here's a few piccies >

Original AXO - I hope you don't mind all the photos ?
Zhaolu23-4-2006362.jpg

More recently fitted TCXO - It made little if any difference !
Zhaolu23-4-2006820.jpg

D 2.0
Zhaolu23-4-2006621.jpg

A modified DAC-AH output stage - not mine including photo.
dacah1.jpg

TC-7510 Mk. 1 : I have done a few mods to mine including a 12volt 3.8 amp. power supply.
2006-10-26484.jpg

2006-10-26491.jpg

Not my 7510 Mk.1 including photo.
RearviewBeresfordTC-7510.jpg

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #230 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quicky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what I want to know is, does the Beresford MKIII beat the Moodlabs?

I don't know - I haven't heard the Moodlabs.

But I have directly compared the MkII and III Beresford. The III is substantially better. And I really liked the II.

The most immediately obvious difference (it has a real "wow!" factor) is in the "focus" of sound images - the III makes the already very good II sound vague and fuzzy. Vocalists or solo instruments separate out in quite a startling and grin-inducing manner. Musical intelligibility and insight into the performance is really enhanced. A great and worthwhile improvement.

There is also more dynamic impact and detail. The bass is also a little (but not hugely) more powerfaul and a fair bit tauter deep down - but then I was quite happy with the II's bass. The III is better though.

The III is a very fine DAC indeed.

Beresford has a refund policy - why not try one?

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #231 of 338
My MKIII is a huge improvement over my MKII. The output level is now back to the MKI level. Sound is also far more punchy. The sibilance from the MKI and MKII is now not detectable on my test tracks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on the design differences between the Zhaolu and the Beresford, you can expect the Beresford to be more analogue-sounding while the Zhaolu will be more detailed. I never heard the Beresford but I can guess how it sounds like by its design. So take your pick on whether you want that analogue sound or more detail.

How wrong you are! That's why it helps to actually listen to a piece of gear before guessing wildly. The Beresford is one of the most detailed DAC on the market. It extracts audio information off the discs that I never considered to be possible on anything other than a high-end DAC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be getting the US version soon, in 2 days. I had few DAC in recent past so I can do some opinionated review when I get it and burned in for about 200hours.

I hope you aren't going to get taken in by the claims form the US seller that his TCC version is the same as the Beresford version
icon10.gif
. When you get your TCC version do us a favour and whip the top cover off. Then take a picture of the inside so we can all see it. I know the MKIII is the result of testing carried out by European users. Many of the changes to improve the sound are only found in the Beresford MKIII I have been told. So let's get the low down on this and hopefully settle these claims and counter claims by the UK and US sellers once and for all I hope.

By the way: when you get your unit open, see if you can see underneath the two PCBs. Mine seems to be cladded with additional components on both PCBs that are not there on the MKI or MKII. So those must be part of the MKIII upgrades I reckon.

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #232 of 338
There's an interesting thread on a UK forum. The thread was started by me (and my enthusiasm for the Beresford is well documented here on headfi) - but one poster says he has upgraded his system by going from the GBP£2k ($4K !!) Linn Ikemi to the Mk.III Beresford. Now that's a stunning endorsement!

See http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum7/12549.html

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #235 of 338
Lol good to see people are buying them. I'd rather let other people be guinea pigs for this DAC, than buy one myself and find that I don't like it
redface.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #236 of 338
Quote:

Lol good to see people are buying them. I'd rather let other people be guinea pigs for this DAC, than buy one myself and find that I don't like it
redface.gif

So exactly how many furry cute l'il rodents do you need to see squeaking the same tune to convince you?
wink.gif

One thing you soon learn with hifi IME - what one person likes, another doesn't. Sadly, the only real way to find out if something is right for you, your tastes and the synergy with the rest of your system is to try it. At least Beresford runs a no-hassle refund/returns policy. Of course, being NZ-based, shipping charges aren't exactly going to be low for you ....

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #237 of 338
Quote:

redface.gif

There is one guy by the nic of Nelda who lives in NZ and has a MKII. Do a search on the forum and PM him. He might be right up your street. I remember that he was putting his valve DAC up for sale after hearing the MKII. Someone else putting their Linn up for sale, another one put his Berringer up for sale. So many people with some very desirable gear can't be wrong when they are prepared to part with what they had and live with the silly cheap Beresford instead. I got blown away with it from day one, but a lot of people laughed me off as a nutter with no cred. You should see some of the PM I received
eek.gif
. But I know when my ears tell me I am listening to something special. You are missing out by being so skeptical. Just think of all the money you'll have in reserve afterwards to buy other bits.

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #238 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is one guy by the nic of Nelda who lives in NZ and has a MKII. Do a search on the forum and PM him. He might be right up your street. I remember that he was putting his valve DAC up for sale after hearing the MKII. Someone else putting their Linn up for sale, another one put his Berringer up for sale. So many people with some very desirable gear can't be wrong when they are prepared to part with what they had and live with the silly cheap Beresford instead. I got blown away with it from day one, but a lot of people laughed me off as a nutter with no cred. You should see some of the PM I received
eek.gif
. But I know when my ears tell me I am listening to something special. You are missing out by being so skeptical. Just think of all the money you'll have in reserve afterwards to buy other bits.

Wow! Theres quite a few head-fi'ers from New Zealand, and even a couple in my city, Christchurch! Maybe a meet could be organized some time...

Anyhoo, I think I'll buy it anyway. As always, there will be a few people who will like it, and a few who don't. Either way, it will probably be better than what I have now, so I may as well go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back