Beresford TC-7510 DAC MKII
Feb 15, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #196 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by rampz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the outside it is idential to the mkii.....

You missed out by not having heard the MKI or MKII. My MKIII feels a bit heavier compared to my MKII. I love the sound of the MKII and didn't think any upgrade would extract anything substantial out of it. I am however quite amazed how much more I can hear when switching between the two.
If the MKII was about detail, then the MKIII sounds to me at least like more focussed with loads more separation and an increase in dynamic range. The bass goes lower and the tops is a lot more refined. But I need a few more days of burn in to make sure these are not differences that are going to deteriorate after the components have had time to settle down. I won't mind if they improve, but so far so good.

Feb 15, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #198 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the sound of the MKII and didn't think any upgrade would extract anything substantial out of it. I am however quite amazed how much more I can hear when switching between the two.
If the MKII was about detail, then the MKIII sounds to me at least like more focussed with loads more separation and an increase in dynamic range. The bass goes lower and the tops is a lot more refined.

I now have the Mk.III as well. If I had been first, I would have written the above post pretty much word for word. I totally agree with it. The sound of the Mk.III is wonderful.
580smile.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #199 of 338
Quote:

its sounds a little muted compared to my current cd player, i guess it needs to be burned in. how many hours am i looking at before i make judgement?

If it's like the Mk.II it will take about 2 days playing to get to, say, 85/90% of its final potential - but probably a couple 100 hours to get to 100%.
What CDP are you comparing it with?

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #202 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the MK111 come stock with larger power supply?

Nope. But tons of extra output. My car battery test(I use one as a power supply for testing the DAC) did not pick up any improvements between the standard and the car battery on the MKIII. So whatever changes there are in the power section, they seem to be working.

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #203 of 338
But the switch mode power supply in my MKII is causing loud hiss in Doge 6210. I will need to find a non-switch mode power supply for it.

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #204 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by pftrvlr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the switch mode power supply in my MKII is causing loud hiss in Doge 6210. I will need to find a non-switch mode power supply for it.

That might explain why they redesigned the internal power supply distribution. The same PSU works far better on the MKIII compared to the MKII. I double checked that with my "car battery" PSU. Might be an idea for you to look into doing the same. I got mine from the local car breaker for nix, and cut the lead off one of my adaptors. Couple of battery terminals from Halfords hold it in place. i charged it up November last year, and it is still playing the DAC.

Feb 16, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #205 of 338
I am taking a serious look at the mk111 and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this unit would exceed the d/a converters in my hk635? Using pc and emu 1212 spdif as source.

Feb 17, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #206 of 338
Quote:

its sounds a little muted compared to my current cd player, i guess it needs to be burned in. how many hours am i looking at before i make judgement?

Are you using the optical TOSLINK inputs? To me they sound significantly inferior to the co-ax RCA inputs.

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #207 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am taking a serious look at the mk111 and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this unit would exceed the d/a converters in my hk635? Using pc and emu 1212 spdif as source.

The D/A converters are only part of the equation that makes up an outstanding DAC. I'll be surprised if your HK635 can touch the TC-7510. I a HK fan and got a HD970. The TC-7510 MKIII gives me a better all round result.

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #208 of 338
Comparing to Rotel RCD 951, most apparently the 7510 has better bass resolution. I think it is worth the money. Now my RCD 951 is used as transport only.

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #209 of 338
I am probably going to be buying the MKIII 7510. Just one question:

How is the headphone jack output on it? I read a review of the MK1 saying that it works better amped from Line. Is this fixed in the MKIII?

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #210 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am probably going to be buying the MKIII 7510. Just one question:

How is the headphone jack output on it? I read a review of the MK1 saying that it works better amped from Line. Is this fixed in the MKIII?

There is some fixed level hiss (i.e. independent of the setting of the volume control) into low impedance / hi sensitivity phones like my 32 Ohm Sony's. I sort this out by using an in-line attenuator like on the eBay link below and reducing the volume with this until the hiss disappears and then boosting the Beresford's headphone volume control. The Beresford has loads of gain, so no problem there. As the hiss is fixed level, the music gets louder when you tweak up the Beresford volume control, but not the hiss!

Yes, I know this seems a bit naff - using a cheap (UK£4.50 delivered) volume pot with my audiophile kit - but it sounds fine to me!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...4199&rd=1&rd=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back