Beresford TC-7510 DAC MKII
Jan 18, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #181 of 338
You can buy adapters that will link a 2.1 mm connector to a 3.5 mm recpetacle. They're quite inexpensive.

Jan 19, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #182 of 338
I made myself an impedance adapter by putting a 120-ohm resistor in series with each channel. This completely gets rid of the hiss, and tightens up the bass as well. It doesn't go as loud as before, but that's probably good for my hearing.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also made some really short (< 6 inches) RCA connectors with 16-gauge wires. This still seems to give recessed mids with the Headfive, so it doesn't seem to be a cable issue. I'll try the Headfive again whenever I get around to buying a bigger power supply.

Jan 19, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #183 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by thubble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made myself an impedance adapter by putting a 120-ohm resistor in series with each channel. This completely gets rid of the hiss, and tightens up the bass as well. It doesn't go as loud as before, but that's probably good for my hearing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yup, I totally got rid of the hiss with my 32Ohm hi-sensitivity headphones by using one of those cheap cable extensions with built-in volume control dial. Available for just a few £/$ on eBay.

Reduce the volume via the extension lead control until the hiss disappears and then boost the volume on the Beresford - loads of gain available so not a problem with my setup - can still get to unhealthy volumes. As the hiss is fixed level and not related to the Beresford volume control position, this fixes the problem nicely!

The extension chord is clearly "Cheap and nasty" - but to be honest it sounds just fine to me. Open clear detailed dynamic - just great !!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #184 of 338
I just received and installed the 4-amp power supply. So far I don't detect much of a difference -- output levels are perhaps slightly higher, and maybe I'm picking up a few more details in the music. We'll see how things develop.

Russell

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #185 of 338
I just tried my 120-ohm attenuator on the Headfive output, and again, WOW! It's better than the TC-7510 headphone out - not by much, but it's there. Looks like the analog out just needed burn-in, after all. The midrange is back and better than ever, and the instrument separation is amazing. The bass is tight but smooth, and there's not even a hint of treble harshness. I'll be happy with this setup for a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #186 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by thubble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the analog out just needed burn-in, after all. The midrange is back and better than ever, and the instrument separation is amazing. The bass is tight but smooth, and there's not even a hint of treble harshness. I'll be happy with this setup for a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quick clarification pls - is this referring to the Beresford unit?

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #187 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by jandl100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick clarification pls - is this referring to the Beresford unit?

Yes - I was running the analog-out from the Beresford to my Corda Headfive amp, and at first it wasn't detailed and there was no midrange. It has now improved immensely.

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #188 of 338
Stanley Beresford has started using me as one of his Beta Testers, I guess because of my enthusiasm for his products and because he seems to value my ears! He recently sent me a pre-prototype digital cable that I thoroughly dis-liked, and I told him so
evil_smiley.gif
, so he's certainly not after a "yes man"! ..... He says he will be sending me a much improved version.

I am currently testing out a TC-7510 MKIII DAC prototype. Well .... the Mk. II was excellent IMO - but this new version is a substantial improvement in terms of dynamic range, clarity, 3D soundstage and simple musical "presence". I was seriously impressed. And that's with a 1.7A PSU - lower than the version planned for commercial release, I believe. Although I think the higher current PSU may be available as an option rather than as standard. I can't wait to hear the final version!

Stanley tells me that a fair slice of the improvement is simply (?) a re-laying out of some of the original components on the PCB. I have suggested to Stanley that some of the easy- (for DIY experts!) -to-carry out mods for the MK II are put on his site in a technical section. If anyone else has some useful mods he could also put those up so everything can be found in one place. Does this seem like a good idea?

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #189 of 338
Just bought one from ebay. I like that it has 4 in 2 out. I can easily switch between my hifi and headfi.

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #190 of 338
Ok-

Let's quickly go back to something I *thought* I saw written a while back - the idea that Stanley is working on a digital pre-amp. Presumably this falls into the same category as the Benchmark or Lavry, in that it has a DAC with an analog volume control that can control the analog outs. It's true that if it has multiple digital inputs and can switch beteween multiple sources, it has more functionality in that one sense (the same way that Stanley's current DAC has more inputs than many of the DACs currently on the market). But for those of us who are single source, the real question will be whether the shorter signal path (e.g., "digital pre-amp" straight to power amp vs. DAC to pre-amp to power amp) will actually trump the sonic qualities of our pre-amps.

Has anyone heard any more about this? Do we think that Stanley's wizardry is in the digital realm or does it extend to the analog as well (I'm thinking here about the headphone op-amp thump/buzz that has been discussed a lot). In particular, I'm trying to figure out whether to wait for this product too...

Any thoughts, as always, welcome. Hope y'all are doing well.

J
rs1smile.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #191 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_ops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's quickly go back to something I *thought* I saw written a while back - the idea that Stanley is working on a digital pre-amp. Presumably this falls into the same category as the Benchmark or Lavry, in that it has a DAC with an analog volume control that can control the analog outs.
rs1smile.gif

Hi there. Stanley Beresford has started using me as one of his Beta Testers - I guess because of my enthusiasm for his DACs. I can confirm he is considering a volume control - in fact just last week he sent me a 7510 Mk.2 DAC wired up with one of the output pairs connected to the volume control knob previously only used for the headphones. I believe that there is different electronics behind it, but I am not sure. It had "issues" with channel balance that need further work, but the basic sound seemed excellent.

If folks are interested in future versions of the DAC having this feature, I'd suggest they email him and tell him so. He seems very responsive to what prospective buyers want - but he needs to know what they want!

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #192 of 338
Got the TC-7510 today. It is tiny!
I did not know the diemension when I placed the order. And I was thinking the size of my old MSB Link DAC. But it is only 1/3 of the size of MSB. And it is feather light. The power supply and the plug is quite flimsy.
I am still breaking it in. So far it sounds fine to me. Will do some AB later.

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #193 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by pftrvlr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

True. But musically, it's a Giant !
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #194 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by pftrvlr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not know the diemension when I placed the order. And I was thinking the size of my old MSB Link DAC. But it is only 1/3 of the size of MSB. And it is feather light.

Just goes to show how much unnecessarily added weight is included with most DACs. That bumps up the price (including shipping cost) no doubt, but does nothing for the sound.
The only items I judge by weight are CD transports, speakers, and amplifiers. I like mine heavy. Talking about speakers:many years ago a couple of thieves broke in to my place and hauled everything away except my JBL speakers. They could not lift them up
icon10.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #195 of 338
ok, recieved it today, will be testing over the weekend and will let ya all know what i think. Please note I have not used the mkII and cant compare.

On the outside it is idential to the mkii.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back