Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Mar 12, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #856 of 916
@ThanatosVI you're not the only one. I really hope Rockna WLS will get finally all promised features and will not be killed like Audiobyte products before delivering 100% of functionality.
Yeah those new Audiobyte products, the Wavedream ultra stuff and yet the Wavelights Show advertised features that aren't even there yet :frowning2:

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #857 of 916
Yes I ended up doing that. Thank you
I ask you how you set up the I2S outputs both PCM and DSD. I have now set them to DSD 512.
Yes have setup mine (HUB) also on Audio Settings -> I2S both PCM and DSD to its max (DSD512).
On Roon in the Audio settings Roon only sees the HYDRA HUB and correct?
YES
One last question: in the Device Settings on Roon I left the setting DSD over PCM 1.0(DoP) is that ok?
Thank you very much
YES, but on the old HUB (at least on mine) max rate it can accomodate only at PCM384/DSD256 on LAN. Don't know on the SuperHUB. You must test and adjust accordingly on Roon for Max Sample Rate (or downsample higher rates that could not be played).

On my case I use HQPlayer with Roon to sample everything to DSD256 and use the HUB to reupsample everything to DSD512.

Before was doing PCM...using HQplayer to sample everything to PCM384 and use HUB to reupsample to PCM768.

Still deciding which...don't have time to evaluate at the moment. Busy...

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #858 of 916
For those who are using LAN as input on their HUB who hasn't tried the FMC mod. Please do consider. Its just a 220Eur investment.

Basic materials needed are in this POST.
Explanation is HERE.

Some alternatives HERE, HERE, or HERE

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #859 of 916
Good morning, everyone.
After a day of listening and testing I must say that I am very satisfied.
I get the best audio quality in OUT PCM with upsampling to 768K.
At 256 and 512 the scene compresses and also some details are heard much less.
Only the famous VOX clicks remain when I change tracks with different audio format, but it can be endured considering the quality of the stack.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #861 of 916
For those who are using LAN as input on their HUB who hasn't tried the FMC mod. Please do consider. Its just a 220Eur investment.

Basic materials needed are in this POST.
Explanation is HERE.

Some alternatives HERE, HERE, or HERE
I saw the video and products at the links you posted in the other thread. Very interesting and definitely helpful.
In my case I ask you if they can be of use because the 1 meter LAN cable that goes to the HUB starts directly from the Router with my ADSL sim not having us in the house wired line..

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #862 of 916
I have the same case as yours...Still a very nice improvement for me...

I get the best audio quality in OUT PCM with upsampling to 768K.

Will go back to PCM..yeah it was have a such an impact...very organic.

Will try to volume match...it had this impact since it's louder...(for me btw)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #863 of 916
I have the same case as yours...Still a very nice improvement for me...

Will go back to PCM..yeah it was have a such an impact...very organic.

Will try to volume match...it had this impact since it's louder...(for me btw)
I have decided to purchase the Mod. FMC as you described.
With the Topping P50 linear power supply can I also power my NUC i58th ? That would be interesting :xf_cool:

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #867 of 916
Only the famous VOX clicks remain when I change tracks with different audio format, but it can be endured considering the quality of the stack.

On the "old" HUB that I have I never figured out the advantage of DSD vs PCM. OK...maybe the sound is a bit denser and the vocals are more intimate if you upsample it in DSD but as you said I also feel soundstage is compressed. But I don't use headphones. Also...about VOX I never figurate it out about that clicking. It happens to me regardless even if it's the same audio format and the same album if I switch songs or scroll through them and that is on the I2S connection as well as when I use UPnP A/V or OpenHome on the HUB. If I use CD as transport on HUB (and coax) this never happens to me. Not even when using USB...either on HUB or VOX.

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #868 of 916
I have decided to purchase the Mod. FMC as you described.
With the Topping P50 linear power supply can I also power my NUC i58th ? That would be interesting :xf_cool:
Great!

Think needs at least 4A for your NUC...might get it to boot at 1A but don't know if can play.

You can go for iFi iPower too for 5v. Decided for the P50 since it has two outputs for one power chord.

So went back to Convert/Upsample everything to PCM705/768 on my HUB. Also ditched HQPlayer. So its just Roon -> HUB(PCM705/768).

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #869 of 916
On the "old" HUB that I have I never figured out the advantage of DSD vs PCM. OK...maybe the sound is a bit denser and the vocals are more intimate if you upsample it in DSD but as you said I also feel soundstage is compressed. But I don't use headphones. Also...about VOX I never figurate it out about that clicking. It happens to me regardless even if it's the same audio format and the same album if I switch songs or scroll through them and that is on the I2S connection as well as when I use UPnP A/V or OpenHome on the HUB. If I use CD as transport on HUB (and coax) this never happens to me. Not even when using USB...either on HUB or VOX.
In my VOX only when changing audio format. Tracks and albums with same format no relay click.
For sound quality I did a series of tests ( I have very revealing speakers ) and actually in my system the best solution is PCM 705/768 only Roon Rock and HUB via LAN.
I have not yet tried to connect my CD player in coaxial.
I'll give it a try tomorrow and then update you

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #870 of 916
Great!

Think needs at least 4A for your NUC...might get it to boot at 1A but don't know if can play.

You can go for iFi iPower too for 5v. Decided for the P50 since it has two outputs for one power chord.

So went back to Convert/Upsample everything to PCM705/768 on my HUB. Also ditched HQPlayer. So its just Roon -> HUB(PCM705/768).
Great!

As I said in response to nikolaindigo for the best sound quality I did a series of tests ( I have very revealing speakers ) and in my system the best solution is PCM 705/768 only Roon Rock and HUB via LAN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back