Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Mar 16, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #871 of 915
@Franco66

Just asking on your SuperHUB. What I2S protocol does it support? Can it be configured/choosen on its on its Menu?

Or there is none/only Rockna/Audiobyte Protocol..

Thanks in advance...

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #872 of 915
@Franco66

Basta chiedere sul tuo SuperHUB. Quale protocollo supporta I2S? PuΓ² essere configurato/scelto nel suo menu?

Oppure non esiste/solo il protocollo Rockna/Audiobyte..

Grazie in anticipo...

@Franco66

Just asking on your SuperHUB. What I2S protocol does it support? Can it be configured/choosen on its on its Menu?

Or there is none/only Rockna/Audiobyte Protocol..

Thanks in advance...
Bye and have a good Sunday.
No on the menu no possibility to configure I2s. I think it is their protocol. With the hub comes an I2s cable marked Audiobyte.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #873 of 915
Immagino...Grazie l'infinita. Buona Domenica!

Edit: Think this is a missed opportunity. If the SuperHUB could support multiple I2S protocols, we can use it to other DACs as well.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #875 of 915
you've got a point...

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #876 of 915
With regards to the SuperHUB:
- the i2S output is customisable through the front display on the SuperHUB ( same for Wavelight Server which is customisable either via its APP or web interface )
- when streaming to the SuperHUB via the LAN input, you are limited to DSD 256 and PCM 384. As I understand it this is due to the limitation between the internal interface between the streamer board and the reclocker board. This same limit is true for the Wavelight Server.
- obviously this limit would also be there should the USB input become enabled.
- the IOS app for the SUperHUB has just been released
- I personally prefer HQplayer upsampling to DSD when compared to the internal DSD upsampling of the SuperHUB. I find the internal DSD upsampling robs the music of all dynamics and makes the music aneamic. This is when connected to a DAC that can do DSD direct and that also has an i2S input ( Hydra Vox for example ).

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #877 of 915
Thanks!
- What other I2S protocols are there?
- Tried upsampling everything to PCM705/768?

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #878 of 915
With regards to the SuperHUB:
- the i2S output is customisable through the front display on the SuperHUB ( same for Wavelight Server which is customisable either via its APP or web interface )
- when streaming to the SuperHUB via the LAN input, you are limited to DSD 256 and PCM 384. As I understand it this is due to the limitation between the internal interface between the streamer board and the reclocker board. This same limit is true for the Wavelight Server.
- obviously this limit would also be there should the USB input become enabled.
- the IOS app for the SUperHUB has just been released
- I personally prefer HQplayer upsampling to DSD when compared to the internal DSD upsampling of the SuperHUB. I find the internal DSD upsampling robs the music of all dynamics and makes the music aneamic. This is when connected to a DAC that can do DSD direct and that also has an i2S input ( Hydra Vox for example ).
Sampling in DSD actually has no positive effect even on the HUB.
The best solution is PCM 705/768
HQ player I think does not make sense as it is not necessarily that in DSD sampling is always better.
The ears are there to judge which is the best sounding

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #880 of 915
Thanks!
- What other I2S protocols are there?
- Tried upsampling everything to PCM705/768?
Under the i2s port settings you can set a combination of the following choices:
- invert bit clock
- invert left/right clock
- invert serial data
- swap dsd channels

I did try upsampling PCM briefly.
When upsampling using the HUB or SuperHUB, PCM did seem to sound more alive. I did not listen extensively though.
I can't remember whether I tried upsampling to PCM with Hqplayer and VOX.
My thinking regarding DSD and the VOX is as follows:
- Vox is a 1 bit DAC
- it can handle DSD direct which means it will be behaving like a NOS DAC should you pass it DSD
- Personally to me Hqplayer does DSD upsampling the best and that is why I tested VOX this way.

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #881 of 915
Under the i2s port settings you can set a combination of the following choices:
- invert bit clock
- invert left/right clock
- invert serial data
- swap dsd channels

I did try upsampling PCM briefly.
When upsampling using the HUB or SuperHUB, PCM did seem to sound more alive. I did not listen extensively though.
I can't remember whether I tried upsampling to PCM with Hqplayer and VOX.
My thinking regarding DSD and the VOX is as follows:
- Vox is a 1 bit DAC
- it can handle DSD direct which means it will be behaving like a NOS DAC should you pass it DSD
- Personally to me Hqplayer does DSD upsampling the best and that is why I tested VOX this way.
But where do you get the DSD from Qobuz with Roon?

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #882 of 915
Hello. I got the Gtek - In the component list I got the duplex fiber optic cable but the Bidi SFPs are Singlemode.
Panicked I thought I made a mistake then I saw that the two optical cables come apart and I connected only one right?
Now I am trying then I will let you know about the improvements if there are any.

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #883 of 915
Yes need to separate the cables...Just like on the pic..

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #885 of 915
Fiber Optic modules have different types. What's in the parts list is single mode Fiber module (one fiber). On the video his module is dual/multimode (dual fiber).

Chose single mode (one fiber) since its the type they are using for long distances (like the fber optic connections in our offices/homes).

In the end, YES, the cables are the same...you just need to split them up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back