Audio GD Phoenix + HD800 + ?
Apr 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #61 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say forget about the Jena wire and look at other consensus backed (by head fi members) cables for the HD800's which will allow an easy swap back and forth between the stock and aftermarket cables without altering the 800's in any way (thus keeping the diodes in place and the warranty intact).

Is there any reason why you chose Jena or is this an aspect of your review that has to be explored ?

Go to the Headphone forum and search for threads that deal with the subject at hand, you'll find a lot of good info and links to many different cables.

If you want to go nuts check these out.... Double Helix Cables - Continuous-cast UPOCC copper cables for Sennheiser and AKG headphones and other audio connections...
biggrin.gif

Peete.

My goal is to have way better cable, than stock to compare those two, and i don't want to pay fortune for it. Well...the easier way is to buy some nucleotide - it fits perfectly in hd800 plug - at least that's what i was told a while ago.

I have a mate, that can do me all soldering i need for a beer or two
smily_headphones1.gif
, and I only need to buy DYI parts. So i guess nucleotide is better option, yes?

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #62 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly doubt it. We would have heard about it if this was the case. One company that does remove the plugs and direct-wires their cables to the drivers didn't mention any diodes, and no other Sennheiser cans have them, so this can safely be ignored.

Aye, ok mate. Thank You
normal_smile .gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #63 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00lunar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My goal is to have way better cable, than stock to compare those two, and i don't want to pay fortune for it. Well...the easier way is to buy some nucleotide - it fits perfectly in hd800 plug - at least that's what i was told a while ago.

I have a mate, that can do me all soldering i need for a beer or two
smily_headphones1.gif
, and I only need to buy DYI parts. So i guess nucleotide is better option, yes?

Maybe maybe not. Part of the performance of the cable has a lot to do with how it's finished and not just the conductors being used. Geometry,shielding, materials used etc plays a key role in the end result. Of the parts used connectors IMO may contribute the least amount of variation in terms of SQ but good quality solid connections are a must (terminations or solder points to those jacks is also very important). Even if you think making cables is an easy proposition consider this as advanced warning should you decide to DIY your own...it is in no way easy to do otherwise everyone would be doing it. I find of all the DIY projects I've tackled, making cables is the most time consuming fiddly and frustrating process by far. It's not an easy thing to do by any means.

The hardest part is braiding, keeping the braid uniform throughout and then matching that with another set for the other driver. Talk about maddening. Hand braiding and termination are by far the most difficult jobs to duplicate uniformly among the 2 pairs of conductors that make up the core of the cable. The shielding is another pain in the butt.

At the very least if you have never done such a thing or your buddy hasn't tried such a thing be prepared to spend days getting it right. Don't settle for half assed because it won't be good enough.

Peete.

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #64 of 81
Quote:

Maybe maybe not. Part of the performance of the cable has a lot to do with how it's finished and not just the conductors being used. Geometry,shielding, materials used etc plays a key role in the end result. Of the parts used connectors IMO may contribute the least amount of variation in terms of SQ but good quality solid connections are a must (terminations or solder points to those jacks is also very important). Even if you think making cables is an easy proposition consider this as advanced warning should you decide to DIY your own...it is in no way easy to do otherwise everyone would be doing it. I find of all the DIY projects I've tackled, making cables is the most time consuming fiddly and frustrating process by far. It's not an easy thing to do by any means.

The hardest part is braiding, keeping the braid uniform throughout and then matching that with another set for the other driver. Talk about maddening. Hand braiding and termination are by far the most difficult jobs to duplicate uniformly among the 2 pairs of conductors that make up the core of the cable. The shielding is another pain in the butt.

At the very least if you have never done such a thing or your buddy hasn't tried such a thing be prepared to spend days getting it right. Don't settle for half assed because it won't be good enough.

Peete.

I trust him, because the guy makes DYI for a living, and i admire his work - it looks very well every time i see it
smily_headphones1.gif
When i told him to make me a cable, he knew from the very start, what i want him to do, so i guess i have to trust him. I have also decent XLRs, and soldering stuff, so i hope this will work asit should. Thanks for advices - they are allways precious
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #65 of 81
Well you are good to go then
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck !

Peete.

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #66 of 81
Quote:

Well you are good to go then
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck !

Peete.

Man, I am reading Your previous posts today, and You scared s%^t out of me
smily_headphones1.gif
You personally would choose nucleotide, or something else?

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #67 of 81
Quote:

Man, I am reading Your previous posts today, and You scared s%^t out of me
smily_headphones1.gif
You personally would choose nucleotide, or something else?

It's just a cable, don't stress.

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #68 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sigh why would you even think to do that... also jena is way to expensive can buy stranded silver wire for $5 a foot... ohh also if jena breaks your headphones in the process they don't care and they wont give you a refund or a new headphone.

Where can you buy stranded silver wire for $5 a foot? Are you sure you don't mean silver plated copper? And if you want silver wire you'd want to get OCC silver, but the only one who makes OCC stranded silver is Cryoparts with the TWag and they are selling it to no one except Whiplash Audio.

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #69 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just a cable, don't stress.

Granted, but to do it right isn't a walk in the park.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #70 of 81
I'll post some pictures, when I'm good to go. Finally, I've decided to go with nucleotide. It Isn't as much expensive as Jena or Cryoparts wire. Just to make sure, that everything will be ok, I've also bought cardas soldering stuff, decent Viablue xlr's, splitters, along with blackline sleeve, and new hd800 plugs.

Anything my mate should put in sleeve except wires? I mean some decent shielding etc. etc.?

And yes, Currawong, I know it's only cable, but I still want it to look good and have all that stuff You guys have in your cables, just in case
smily_headphones1.gif
ph34r.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #72 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
occ stranded silver wire 5n
avvycopy.jpg

img8322gh.jpg

Sexy
tongue_smile.gif

I wish I had JH 13-pro, but still... W3 are quite good match with p-51 and iMod. Who gave You that wire ?!? Seriously, what is that wire?

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #73 of 81
Quote:

I'll post some pictures, when I'm good to go. Finally, I've decided to go with nucleotide. It Isn't as much expensive as Jena or Cryoparts wire. Just to make sure, that everything will be ok, I've also bought cardas soldering stuff, decent Viablue xlr's, splitters, along with blackline sleeve, and new hd800 plugs.

Anything my mate should put in sleeve except wires? I mean some decent shielding etc. etc.?

And yes, Currawong, I know it's only cable, but I still want it to look good and have all that stuff You guys have in your cables, just in case
smily_headphones1.gif
ph34r.gif

You can add shielding if you want but it's not really necessary. The type of sleeve to dress the cable should be very low in microphonic characteristic. Make sure you get a suitable type for this job. If you have questions about what to buy email the supplier of the wire you bought and I bet they can make sure you get the right stuff for the job. Regular tech flex used for DIY interconnects/mains cables etc won't do for a headphone cable.

I look forward to seeing the finished product and of course hearing about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck !!!!

Peete.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #74 of 81
I have a diy headphone cable that's very microphonic, only mylar and then nylon techflex. It took about 10 hours to do too, so I agree with Peete, you should really just get a pre-made 4 conductor cable (shielded if you want) and just make it Y-cord and terminate it with your HD800 plugs.

@momomo6789 where to buy that from, and is it cheap and good sounding?

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #75 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a diy headphone cable that's very microphonic, only mylar and then nylon techflex. It took about 10 hours to do too, so I agree with Peete, you should really just get a pre-made 4 conductor cable (shielded if you want) and just make it Y-cord and terminate it with your HD800 plugs.

@momomo6789 where to buy that from, and is it cheap and good sounding?

$5< a foot works really well for iem's and i haven't seen it for sale in a few months =/ only took 48 mins to build it also
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back