Audio GD Phoenix + HD800 + ?
Mar 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #31 of 81
I agree. My DHC pure copper Complement cable made my HD800 sound smoother without loosing and spark in the top end

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 30, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #32 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00lunar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit:

Done some research, and i guess that the best option for me is hiFace toy with denend rca cable and then dac ref1 and phoenix. Am i right?

Anyone knows if i should stick to hiface rca, or should i pick bnc? i won't lie... sq is at 1st place here.

I have both RCA and BNC .

I think BNC is better (at least in my setup) and get a normal 75 ohm BNC shielded cable. It shoud be BNC - especially if you have a DAC with BNC in.

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #33 of 81
If you're going copper maybe you could ask Kingwa if he can make a cable with his 500 meters of double helix nucleotide internal wiring
tongue.gif
. If he agrees, try to get it terminated on one end with 4-pin xlr (most likely have to use neutrik unless you send him something else), and 1 foot Y-cord on the other end so you can solder the HD800 plugs on, or purchase the plugs and send to audio-gd. Just FYI, most people I've read say the wire sounds on the smooth side.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #34 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going copper maybe you could ask Kingwa if he can make a cable with his 500 meters of double helix nucleotide internal wiring
tongue.gif
. If he agrees, try to get it terminated on one end with 4-pin xlr (most likely have to use neutrik unless you send him something else), and 1 foot Y-cord on the other end so you can solder the HD800 plugs on, or purchase the plugs and send to audio-gd. Just FYI, most people I've read say the wire sounds on the smooth side.

Oy, and what connection is better in audio-gd phoenix? 2 3-pin XLR-s, or one 4-pin XLr? Does it make any difference?

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #35 of 81
Should go 4-pin XLR because it is more manageable, no drawback except you will need a 1 foot long 4-pin xlr-to-2x3-pin xlr adapter if you want to plug it into a balanced headphone amplifier without 4-pin xlr. If you look at audio-gd's roc amp, it only has 4-pin and TRS, and no 2x3-pin xlr outputs, so another reason to go 4-pin is that future balanced amps are likely to be 4-pin xlr.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #36 of 81
It's often cheaper to have a 4-pin terminated headphone cable built than a 2x3-pin XLR one, especially if you have a TRS adaptor made as well.

Ignore the guage of cables. 18 AWG is speaker cable. Headphones don't require the same current speakers do, so it's just crazy to have a cable that thick IMO. My suggestion is to buy two HD-800 cables after you've listened with the headphones for a couple of hundred hours: One copper and one silver, but buy them second-hand, and sell the one you like the least.

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #37 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's often cheaper to have a 4-pin terminated headphone cable built than a 2x3-pin XLR one, especially if you have a TRS adaptor made as well.

Ignore the guage of cables. 18 AWG is speaker cable. Headphones don't require the same current speakers do, so it's just crazy to have a cable that thick IMO. My suggestion is to buy two HD-800 cables after you've listened with the headphones for a couple of hundred hours: One copper and one silver, but buy them second-hand, and sell the one you like the least.

Thanks Currawong - You never let people down, eh mate
ksc75smile.gif
?

Right, so i'll get myself 22AWG Jena wire, and two XLR's, because i haven't seen in ViaBlue products 4-pin XLR's. And one more thing: I'm guessing, that I won't notice difference between Jena wire, CryoParts wire, right?

Edit:

And what about nucleotide wire? It's fairly cheap, cryotreated, and idk if i should stick to jena labs wire....

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #38 of 81
Ant thank you haloxt of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #39 of 81
IMO you should decide on cable after you have listened to whatever dac and amp you buy. I think this is especially true if you get something as neutral and uncolored as ref 1+phoenix+hd800, less so if you decide to get one of audio-gd's more musical dacs. You could reterminate your stock HD800 cable to XLR and seeing what you'd like to improve/alter with a cable upgrade, and I highly recommend going 4-pin xlr route since 2x3-pin xlr is not convenient and needs to stop being the standard for balanced headphones.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #40 of 81
Quote:

IMO you should decide on cable after you have listened to whatever dac and amp you buy. I think this is especially true if you get something as neutral and uncolored as ref 1+phoenix+hd800, less so if you decide to get one of audio-gd's more musical dacs. You could reterminate your stock HD800 cable to XLR and seeing what you'd like to improve/alter with a cable upgrade, and I highly recommend going 4-pin xlr route since 2x3-pin xlr is not convenient and needs to stop being the standard for balanced headphones.

Okay, so who makes decent 4-pin XLR's? I haven't seen them as much as the 3-pin ones. Any ideas mate about XLR i should choose?

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #41 of 81
It's been a while since I looked but I believe there's not much to choose from with 4-pin xlr, the majority of xlr connectors are 3-pin, popular with pro-audio equipment. Here's three from Neutrik, I haven't really tried to find out what different contacts do to sound quality, so you'll have to ask someone else for advice there.

NC4MXX
4 pole male cable connector, Nickel housing, silver contacts

NC4MXX-B
4 pole male cable connector, black metal housing, gold contacts

NC4MXX-BAG
4 pole male cable connector, black metal housing, silver contacts

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #42 of 81
Quote:

It's been a while since I looked but I believe there's not much to choose from with 4-pin xlr, the majority of xlr connectors are 3-pin, popular with pro-audio equipment. Here's three from Neutrik, I haven't really tried to find out what different contacts do to sound quality, so you'll have to ask someone else for advice there.

NC4MXX
4 pole male cable connector, Nickel housing, silver contacts

NC4MXX-B
4 pole male cable connector, black metal housing, gold contacts

NC4MXX-BAG
4 pole male cable connector, black metal housing, silver contacts

Thanx mate. I allways thought, that company makes no big difference, so I guess, that I could go 4-pin Neutrik way. If You had to choose between bulk cryotreated wires, what would you choose? I know, that i should experiment with those, and keep the best one for me, but i can only make one cable for now, and that's why I'm asking those questions about Your pick
smily_headphones1.gif
I've noticed, that nucleotide wire is cryotreated, and so is jena wire. Nucleotide is 26AWG, and Jena is 22AWG, and I am starting to be confused
smily_headphones1.gif
Btw. isn't 22 AWG too big for HD800 connectors?

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #43 of 81
There's some 18 awg aftermarket cables for hd800, so 22 will fit, and I believe double helix nucleotide is actually 24 awg not 26 awg. I don't have enough experience to give you advice on cable sound signatures, but from what I experience and read, cables will often color the sound, possibly in a way you don't like.

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #45 of 81
Quote:

There's some 18 awg aftermarket cables for hd800, so 22 will fit, and I believe double helix nucleotide is actually 24 awg not 26 awg. I don't have enough experience to give you advice on cable sound signatures, but from what I experience and read, cables will often color the sound, possibly in a way you don't like.

Well, I'll stick to jena wire. I'm doing so, because Srajan Ebaen (sixmoons guy) was impressed with that specific copper wire. I still am not quite sure if i'm buying the right one for me, or if i should pick cheaper nucleotide (still cryo treating makes me shiver
smily_headphones1.gif
). Oh well...i should know it soon, and post some feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back