Audio GD Phoenix + HD800 + ?
Mar 23, 2010 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

00lunar

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I have a few simple questions for you guys. I don't know, if I put the topic in correct place, but what the heck... maybe moderator won't own me
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now I am proud owner of HD800. Mainly I am using (only few weeks more) it with Carat Topaz DAC or Asus Xonar Essence ST, but i guess, that those devices aren't capable to do magic with those fancy HD800's. I'm going to get me Audio GD Phoenix, because of the obvious reasons. I've heard about great synergy of that particular amp with HD800's, and propably lots of people know what I am writing about. I've heard so much good stuff about Kingwa's products, that I've decided to puy me amp @first, and then DAC.

There is no mysterey about the fact, that i want all my rig to be balanced, and i want to connect all that fancy stuff to my PC. There are three questions, that came to me before writing this post:

1. What kind of balanced DAC should i choose (only from Audio GD), to complete my setup? I want to use it all with my pc. The price range is around 1000$. My goal is to get DAC, that won't be weak link in my setup. Any ideas?

2. Propably that question won't fit here, but... what kind of XLR's would you mates choose? I'm guessing that i will be needing a pair of XLR plugs to my cans and additional two pairs to connect amp and DAC yes? I was wondering about Furutech, or AudioQuest plugs, or even those great looking carbon fiber Locus Design plugs. Any ideas?

3. Are there some weak links in my thinking about my future rig setup? Am I doing something wrong here? I mean, I'm new here and into quite expensive audio, but maybe there are some other options worth to think about, than amp+dac setup?

Any help would be nice
smily_headphones1.gif
User IpodPJ told me, that gear from Kingwa is superb in its class, and that is one of the reasons, why I am going to buy it.

Anybody?

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 81
Why not use the ACSS connection? Then you don't have to worry about what cables to use to connect them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 81
having not heard what im about to recomend, only read about them on here. I would say that you should get either the Ref1 or newer Ref7, and then get a decent usb to SPDIF converter like the m2tech hiface. And also, what currawong said, Use ACSS to connect the dac to the amp, and then get either a new balanced cable for your hd800's, or just reterminate the one that came with it, since it is supposed to a prety good cable in it own right.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 81
Oh ye, and I also have dr.dac2 from audiotrak, but i guess, that using it as my source (it has opt&coax) is a bit pointless yes?

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 81
Edit:

Done some research, and i guess that the best option for me is hiFace toy with denend rca cable and then dac ref1 and phoenix. Am i right?

Anyone knows if i should stick to hiface rca, or should i pick bnc? i won't lie... sq is at 1st place here.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 81
I have the RE1, Phoenix and HiFace. I recommend that you get that. The hiFace provided a significant increase in SQ and I would recommend you get the BNC one and a decent coaxial cable with BNC plugs.

If I had the $$$ I would get the HD8000 recabled and balanced.
Supposedly, the HD800 are a perfect match with the Phoenix.
If you ever go that route, you will hear crystal clear unflavoured natural sound IMO.

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the RE1, Phoenix and HiFace. I recommend that you get that. The hiFace provided a significant increase in SQ and I would recommend you get the BNC one and a decent coaxial cable with BNC plugs.

If I had the $$$ I would get the HD8000 recabled and balanced.
Supposedly, the HD800 are a perfect match with the Phoenix.
If you ever go that route, you will hear crystal clear unflavoured natural sound IMO.

That's what i wanted to hear
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I have two additional questions to Your setup.
1:dac ref1 is 24/96, but hiFace is 24/192, so this means, that if i'll have really high res music played from my pc through hiface and ref1, audio-gd dac will downsample it right? If it all its true, how much may it suck? I mean, do I really can hear the difference between 24/96 and 24/192?

2: Kingwa also told me, that i should get BNC, and that is what i'll do, but what kind of cable should i get? I was wondering, if with the influence of BNC cable on the sq there are the same stories as with RCA cables, or it doesn't really matter what kind (brand or material) of BNC cable i'll pick?

any info would be helpful.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #8 of 81
The DAC wont down-sample anything, the music just wont play if it's about 24/96. The difference between 24/96 and 24/192 is that the latter has a lower noise floor. Considering most DACs can't get the most out of 16/44.1 (CD quality), I wouldn't worry too much about high bit-rate files.

As for digital cables, I'd at least get a good Canare or similar 75 Ohm BNC-terminated cable. I haven't experimented enough to have decided myself, but some people have had good results with cables such as the Oyaide DB-510 improving things.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 81
I agree with Currawong also.
I wouldn't get too excited about 192kHz playback and would stick to no higher than 96kHz.

The Canare with BNC or RCA plugs will be included when you purchase your RE1 and it is a pretty good cable. You can however get something better like the Oyaide DB-510. I have the Oyaide and I did notice some change in SQ but not as much as others have reported with lower level DACs.

With the RE1,the hiFace will improve things a lot more than a high end digital cable. Just get a short true 75 ohms digital cable with BNC plugs like the Canare one offered by Kingwa and you will be fine. Later you can upgrade and try something more expensive.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 81
Great!

So I shouldn't change anything ? Is this rig ok?

Rig: balanced HD800 ---> Audio-Gd Phoenix---->ACSS connection---->Audio-Gd DAC Ref1------> Canare 75Ohm BNC wire ----->hiFace BNC---->PC

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00lunar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great!

So I shouldn't change anything ? Is this rig ok?

Rig: balanced HD800 ---> Audio-Gd Phoenix---->ACSS connection---->Audio-Gd DAC Ref1------> Canare 75Ohm BNC wire ----->hiFace BNC---->PC

Yeah you have a great rig there in my opinion!
It's a good thing to be rich.
regular_smile .gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah you have a great rig there in my opinion!
It's a good thing to be rich.
regular_smile .gif

Naah, I'm not rich
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm working my ass off to achieve my goal. Right now I'm simply pissed, that my HD800 aren't @ their SQ peak, and that is my main motivation
smily_headphones1.gif
And of course we also have couple months of gathering resources.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 81
punk_guy182- Bring your Phoenix on the Montreal show this weekend and I can bring my HD800 recabled with DHC Complement. :wink: I am waiting my friend finish his B22 balanced to hear that cable ...

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just reterminate the HD800 to 4 pin XLR and spend the savings on music. Also, Bluejeans cables makes a BNC cable that will get your 1's and 0's to the Ref-1 just fine for a good price.

Aye, thats what i'm going to do. I'll do my own cables from Jena wire. Srajan Ebaen from sixmoons was impressed about cryo treated cable from ALO audio, and AFAIK they are using jena wire. Also there is a small matter of decent XLR plugs.

I've found two, that vary in price and look aspect. What kind would You guys choose?

Furutech FP 702 XLR or
Locus DEsign Carbon XLR

Whats Your pick? Is it worth my while? I mean... I'm pretty sure, that expensive XLR's can be soldered with wire easily comparing to cheap XLR's, but Furutech has good quality stuff. What would You choose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back