Audio GD Phoenix + HD800 + ?
Apr 1, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #46 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Short/Long not even an issue. I have no need for an 18 foot cable. I only need 4 - 5 feet. But the 18 footer sounds better which is why I use it. It's coiled up. Center imaging is more precise and notes are less blurred.

It affects sound because of signal reflections that can be caused by impedance mismatch. But even if you are using 75 ohm BNC connectors on both ends, the cable length does make a difference. Try it for yourself. You can always return one to BJC or sell it.

Um, no. The whole point of BNC versus RCA-style S/PDIF is that it avoids impedance mismatch inherent to RCA S/PDIF so the length will make no difference. (This is aside from the argument that the shortest cable is best that Dan Lavry makes.)

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #47 of 81
About the largest guage that will fit into the APS modified HD-800 connectors is 24 AWG + insulation. 22 AWG would be pushing one's luck I think unless one stripped back more of the wire then wrapped it Teflon tape to make it thinner IMO.

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #48 of 81
Oh, well ALO must be either cutting up the connectors or cutting the wire because they have used 18 awg conductors for the HD800. If I were you I'd ask ALO what they do before trying 22 awg which is almost double the size of 24 awg.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #49 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About the largest guage that will fit into the APS modified HD-800 connectors is 24 AWG + insulation. 22 AWG would be pushing one's luck I think unless one stripped back more of the wire then wrapped it Teflon tape to make it thinner IMO.

Damn. So now it's a problem. Well... the smallest Jena wire is 22AWG, and if Youre saying that it might be tight, alternative route is to get 24AWG wire from CryoParts, but that wire will be 25$ more expensive than Jena wire if I want to have 3m cable in my HD800...decisions, decisions.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #50 of 81
I wouldn't worry too much about which wire. Get the gear first, see how you feel.

For me in the end, I went with silver because I wanted a more Stax-like presentation with good treble extension (what other people might call bright). Some people don't like that with the HD-800s and prefer the "warmer" copper cables (and amps too). The treble has a peak around 6.3 kHz or thereabouts (each individual headphone measures slightly differently going by the graphs Sennheiser sent owners) which can result in some music being annoying to listen to.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #51 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00lunar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, so who makes decent 4-pin XLR's? I haven't seen them as much as the 3-pin ones. Any ideas mate about XLR i should choose?

I'd be verry verry interested to know who and how many people can make the difference between the Neutrik gold 4 pin XLR plug and some higher end stuff.

Paying 500$ for XLR like the Bocchino ones is a little mad IMO!
deadhorse.gif

I'd rather invest the money in better components or a better power source like the Isotek Sigma and Nova or the PS Audio Power Plant Premier.

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #52 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be verry verry interested to know who and how many people can make the difference between the Neutrik gold 4 pin XLR plug and some higher end stuff.

Paying 500$ for XLR like the Bocchino ones is a little mad IMO!
deadhorse.gif

I'd rather invest the money in better components or a better power source like the Isotek Sigma and Nova or the PS Audio Power Plant Premier.

Ye i agree. I think that paying $500 for BAXLR is a little craziness, but i understand, that people buy stuff just for having it, not necesairly abilities.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #53 of 81
Ok the last one
smily_headphones1.gif

Person from Jena Labs told me, that HD800 might have something called 'clamping diodes' which are installed on the drivers to limit the maximum voltage that can reach the voice coils, and it might affect SQ. Is that true? Because now i dont know, if i should stick to ODU connector plug, or to remove them completly...

Any1 knows something about it?

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #55 of 81
I noticed a difference when I removed the 10 ohm diodes on my 40 ohm headphones to make it 30 ohm, wouldn't say it was an improvement, just a bit easier to drive with an mp3 player, and the perceived sound difference could've just been due to the sound waves no longer bouncing off the diodes which were just floating in the middle of the earcups. I doubt you'd notice nearly as much difference taking 10 ohm diodes (or whatever the hd800 uses) off 600 ohm headphones.

If Jena labs is allowed by Sennheiser to remove the diode without voiding warranty, I say do it, if warranty will be void, I'd say no. The phoenix lowers the volume to minimum whenever your electricity acts up to prevent damaging the headphones. BUT if you happen to like to plug the hd800 in other things, and especially plugging in and out of a TRS jack while music is playing (BIG nono), keep the diodes and keep your warranty.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #56 of 81
Quote:

Ok the last one
smily_headphones1.gif

Person from Jena Labs told me, that HD800 might have something called 'clamping diodes' which are installed on the drivers to limit the maximum voltage that can reach the voice coils, and it might affect SQ. Is that true? Because now i dont know, if i should stick to ODU connector plug, or to remove them completly...

sigh why would you even think to do that... also jena is way to expensive can buy stranded silver wire for $5 a foot... ohh also if jena breaks your headphones in the process they don't care and they wont give you a refund or a new headphone.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #57 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL @ JenaLabs.

What's that supposed to mean mate
icon10.gif
?

And thanx again haloxt
smily_headphones1.gif
You are helping me alot lately. The thing is, that I'm a review writer, and I have hd800 which are the property of portal I'm working in. So yes, I need to keep my warranty just in case, because there's allways a chance, that I'll have to return gear to propper owner. I'll be buying my own soon, but ATM I have to keep my work pair of HD800 nice and tidy.

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #58 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sigh why would you even think to do that... also jena is way to expensive can buy stranded silver wire for $5 a foot... ohh also if jena breaks your headphones in the process they don't care and they wont give you a refund or a new headphone.

Buying cryoed wire is only for article purposes. I work for pc portal, and my test is a kind of new stuff for the readers, who are deep into overclocking their pc's etc etc. Main goal of my next article is to compare stock wire of HD800 and UbEr Pr0 wire, and see what kind of differences will come up, and write about them - that's what I do for living
smily_headphones1.gif
Sure, I could look on head-fi and read about those differences, but in my article there are some persons not head-fi related who actually don't believe in wire differences, and their ears are part of my test.

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #59 of 81
I say forget about the Jena wire and look at other consensus backed (by head fi members) cables for the HD800's which will allow an easy swap back and forth between the stock and aftermarket cables without altering the 800's in any way (thus keeping the diodes in place and the warranty intact).

Is there any reason why you chose Jena or is this an aspect of your review that has to be explored ?

Go to the Headphone forum and search for threads that deal with the subject at hand, you'll find a lot of good info and links to many different cables.

If you want to go nuts check these out.... Double Helix Cables - Continuous-cast UPOCC copper cables for Sennheiser and AKG headphones and other audio connections...
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #60 of 81
Quote:

Ok the last one
smily_headphones1.gif

I highly doubt it. We would have heard about it if this was the case. One company that does remove the plugs and direct-wires their cables to the drivers didn't mention any diodes, and no other Sennheiser cans have them, so this can safely be ignored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back