Audio-gd NFB-5/5.2 users: share your experiences
Apr 7, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #63 of 86
Thanks 'PleaseantSounds'... That's a good point.

However, the spec page for the NFB-5.32:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB5/NFB5EN_Specs.htm

still indicates USB 1.1/2.0 compatibility.

Anyway, once I receive the unit, I will inform people of the result and what usb adapter solved this issue. 

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #64 of 86
I finally received my unit. I had no issues with the USB on my MacBook air. However, filters 5-9 give no music when the bitrate is set to 32 and the sampling at 192khz.

Not a big issue. Overall, a wonderful sounding amp. Noticeably better than my portable DACport.

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #65 of 86
Quote:
I finally received my unit. I had no issues with the USB on my MacBook air. However, filters 5-9 give no music when the bitrate is set to 32 and the sampling at 192khz.

Each filer position is actually a combination of two parameters: the filter characteristic and the oversampling rate. Filters 7-9 give you 8 x oversampling, 4-6 are 4 x. This combined with the 192kHz of the source signal is simply more than the DAC chip can handle (the maximum is 384 kHz).
But it doesn't mean that you lose any of the functionality - the same filter characteristics can be selected with positions 1-3, where oversampling is set to 2 x.

May 19, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #67 of 86
I have been playing around with this amp and a couple of others (Woo Audio WA7 and the Audio-gd nfb 27)

Just wanted to give a few random points on my experiences with the nfb 5.32:

1) Great sounding amp. Worked really well with T1 and HD800, specially for classical/jazz music.
2) It have very good musicality with most headphones I have tried (HD800, HD650, HE-500, W5000, AKG 701). The WA7 does beat it by a hair in this department but this is a tube amp over twice the price.
3) The soundstage is quite good. A little bit less than the nfb-27 but maybe on par with the WA7
4) Very very good sound quality/detail for the price.
5) It almost has enough power for the hifiman HE-6's. Bass is lacking a tiny bit. 
6) Solid materials used for the chassis.

May 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #68 of 86
I have been playing around with this amp and a couple of others (Woo Audio WA7 and the Audio-gd nfb 27)

Just wanted to give a few random points on my experiences with the nfb 5.32:

1) Great sounding amp. Worked really well with T1 and HD800, specially for classical/jazz music.
2) It have very good musicality with most headphones I have tried (HD800, HD650, HE-500, W5000, AKG 701). The WA7 does beat it by a hair in this department but this is a tube amp over twice the price.
3) The soundstage is quite good. A little bit less than the nfb-27 but maybe on par with the WA7
4) Very very good sound quality/detail for the price.
5) It almost has enough power for the hifiman HE-6's. Bass is lacking a tiny bit. 
6) Solid materials used for the chassis.

Thanks for sharing. I've often felt like my Bottlehead Crack is not much better than the 5.2 so I'm glad to hear that I'm not crazy! :)

I'd concur that the tubes bring a little more musicality, but it's a close call.

May 20, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #69 of 86
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I've often felt like my Bottlehead Crack is not much better than the 5.2 so I'm glad to hear that I'm not crazy! :)

I'd concur that the tubes bring a little more musicality, but it's a close call.

Yes, it is definitely a close call. I have a number of different headphones and music categories. There are cases where a headphone and music category combination will work better (musicality wise) on the nfb 5.32 over the WA7 and even the nfb 27.

For example, the HD650's can occasionally work best on the nfb 5.32.

May 21, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #70 of 86
Quote:
For example, the HD650's can occasionally work best on the nfb 5.32.

From my experience the nfb 5 tends to work very well with darker, warmer sounding headphones. LCD-2 is a perfect example of that. The HD650 is very good with it too.
Brighter sounding headphones like Q701, T5p, HD800 do better with the WA7.

May 21, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #71 of 86
Quote:

From my experience the nfb 5 tends to work very well with darker, warmer sounding headphones. LCD-2 is a perfect example of that. The HD650 is very good with it too.
Brighter sounding headphones like Q701, T5p, HD800 do better with the WA7.

This is absolutely true! I have observed the exact same thing. I have the K701s (similar to Q701s) and HD800s and can confirm they sound better on the WA7s. 

In addition, I would say that the T1's also sound better on the WA7, whereas the HE500 and HD650 are very very nice on the nfb 5.32.

I haven't tried the LCD2/3 but can imagine they would suit the nfb 5.32 very nicely.

May 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #72 of 86
Hello, I'm having difficulties installing the USB drivers for the NFB-5.2. I've spent a lot of time digging for an answer but have decided to throw in the towel. The PC is running Windows 7 Professional x64. When I connect the device via USB 2.0, Windows recognizes it as 'SVB-202D.' I downloaded the 'AudiogdUSB32ASIOv1.22forwin1220' drivers from audio-gd's website, extracted the folder, and ran 'Setup.EXE.' Everything performs normally until the installer gives me this message:

SETUP LOG:  DATE 5-26-2013 TIME 22:01:09
Installed components :
None

Fail to Installed components :
Audio-gd USB Device  Ver1.0

The next screen displays:

NOTE: One of the components aren't successfully installed to system. Check log file.

It's not giving me an error code of sorts and I'm not sure where to find (if at all) the log file that will give me some more information. Event Viewer doesn't show any errors. I've tried the other set of drivers (AudiogdUSB32v2.0forwin.rar) as well without any success. I read in a review by  Loquah that 64-bit drivers were needed and acquired from Addicted to Audio. Does anyone know where these drivers can be downloaded or is someone willing to send these my way? I'm borrowing this from a friend who is unreachable for a couple of weeks. They had the drivers installed successfully on a Windows XP machine. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

May 27, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #73 of 86
It happened to me at the start.
I 'think' it's because we installed the wrong drivers for the firmware we're using.
Like I installed the wrong driver v2 at the start, worked for abit, rebooted then I get that 'failed to install' component thingy too no matter how many times I tried to remove or install a different version because it no longer appeared in my windows (I knew my firmware hasn't died because I haven't flashed it yet).

Email kingwa your model/serial number and ask him what firmware you're using and install the drivers that he tells you to. Mine was the v1.1 that was no longer on their website but was still downloadable by direct link.
Update the firmware and drivers to v2 afterwards.

I remember seeing svb-202d in windows when installing v1.1 drivers but 'audio-gd' for v1.2+ drivers.
I fixed my problem by system restoring but it seems like yours didn't even make it through the first install?

[size=small]the Firmware #7 want to install the driver V2.0 , [/size][size=small]http://www.audio-gd.com/AudiogdUSB32v2.0forwin.rar[/size]
[size=small]the Firmware #4 want to install the driver 1.22 , [/size][size=small]http://www.audio-gd.com/AudiogdUSB32ASIOv1.22forwin1220.rar[/size]
[size=small]the Firmware #3 and #5 want to install the driver 1.1 . [/size][size=small]http://www.audio-gd.com/Audio-gdUSB32forwindows384.rar[/size][size=small] [/size]

May 27, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #74 of 86
No, I didn't make it through a first install. I finally got the audio to work by manually applying the XP64 driver in 'AudiogdUSB32ASIOv1.22forwin1220\viaudusb\Driver\WinXP64.' It took me forever to find the correct method to be able to select the actual .inf file and not a folder. I'm happy that I can at least get audio but I'm still unable to install the USB-32 firmware. I'll be trying v1.1 now. Thanks a lot for the links!

May 27, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #75 of 86
Driver v1.1 worked. Thanks a lot for your help. 

Quote:
It happened to me at the start.
I 'think' it's because we installed the wrong drivers for the firmware we're using.
Like I installed the wrong driver v2 at the start, worked for abit, rebooted then I get that 'failed to install' component thingy too no matter how many times I tried to remove or install a different version because it no longer appeared in my windows (I knew my firmware hasn't died because I haven't flashed it yet).

Email kingwa your model/serial number and ask him what firmware you're using and install the drivers that he tells you to. Mine was the v1.1 that was no longer on their website but was still downloadable by direct link.
Update the firmware and drivers to v2 afterwards.

I remember seeing svb-202d in windows when installing v1.1 drivers but 'audio-gd' for v1.2+ drivers.
I fixed my problem by system restoring but it seems like yours didn't even make it through the first install?

[size=small]the Firmware #7 want to install the driver V2.0 , [/size][size=small]http://www.audio-gd.com/AudiogdUSB32v2.0forwin.rar[/size]
[size=small]the Firmware #4 want to install the driver 1.22 , [/size][size=small]http://www.audio-gd.com/AudiogdUSB32ASIOv1.22forwin1220.rar[/size]
[size=small]the Firmware #3 and #5 want to install the driver 1.1 . [/size][size=small]http://www.audio-gd.com/Audio-gdUSB32forwindows384.rar[/size][size=small] [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back