Audio-gd NFB-5/5.2 users: share your experiences
Aug 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #16 of 86
Yes WASAPI in [size=small]in exclusive mode changes the way the application layer talks to the driver layer just like ASIO. It all depends how well the drivers are written. I also have GSIF driver for my Giga Studio. There is also the EWDM driver which supports my MIDI. There are freeware that you can use to measure the audio latency of your system. [/size]

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #17 of 86
Quote:

I like your thinking
smile.gif
.  I read somewhere that running more than 192 kHz can be counterproductive for some DAC chips: http://www.head-fi.org/t/588478/24-96-compared-to-24-192
The best recordings I have on my computer are 16/44.1 CD rips.  As you say streaming 24/192 puts more stress on the CPU, takes longer to read from the HDD, and uses up a greater proportion of the USB 2.0 bandwidth.
Realtime upsampling increases the load on the CPU even more - some use offline upsampling (ie upsample using a pro-audio software) but not many people tend to do this unless they have a NOS (nonn-oversampling) DAC.
USB is shared, but you can use separate USB controller/root hub for your keyboard, mouse etc and thereby avoid any potential problems.  
To be honest it is a shame that there are so few audiophile Firewire interfaces as Firewire has technical advantages, but maybe asynchronous USB levels the paying field...

@ Loquah The crack you are hearing is probably the audio stream restarting as necessary when settings are changed?  As long as it isn't happening when you aren't touching anything I think it's normal.

That link you shared was really helpful regarding 44 / 96 / 192kHz sampling. Definitely leaving my devices on 96 (even if they can do 192 like the NFB-5.2)

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #18 of 86
Anyone else found the NFB-5.2 to be a touch on the warm side? I noticed today that my Creative X-Fi HD seems to be slightly crisper and cleaner on the top end, but the NFB-5.2 has punchier bass output (possibly due to the significant difference in amp power).

Do you think the OPA-Sun might tighten this up a bit?

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #19 of 86
I find it that with the OPA turned off the sound is quite crisp and neutral and the Moon OPA clouds it somewhat. Can't comment on the Sun OPA as I've never tried it. My view is "less is more", especially when it comes to introducing additional components to the chain.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #20 of 86
Quote:
I find it that with the OPA turned off the sound is quite crisp and neutral and the Moon OPA clouds it somewhat. Can't comment on the Sun OPA as I've never tried it. My view is "less is more", especially when it comes to introducing additional components to the chain.

I tend to agree. Will also depend on the phones matched with it I guess. I'm not sure what OPA mine has as standard.

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #22 of 86
Quote:
I presume you guys are using the TE8802 USB receiver chip? 

I'm debating to save money and go for the TE7022 or pay the extra $38 for the TE8802. 

Interesting question. Mine is the 5.2 with the TE8802 chip. Haven't heard the TE7022 so can't comment - sorry.

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #23 of 86
Quote:

I'm debating to save money and go for the TE7022 or pay the extra $38 for the TE8802. 

One of the benefits of TE8802 is that it allows 24/192 connection, while with TE7022 you are restricted to the maximum of 24/96. Without it you can still connect at 24/192 via optical/coax if that's important to you. Otherwise I wouldn't expect to hear any differences between the two other than due to sample variation.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #25 of 86
One of the earlier posts in this thread contained a link to an interested article about 44.1 vs 96 vs 192kHz audio. From the info there I would say stick with 96 even if you can do 192 so maybe no need for TE8802.

That said, I was under the impression that asynchronous transfer (what the TE8802 allows) can help with data transfer of audio. I'm very much a novice here so don't know how that might benefit audio, but I do know that audio is not checked for accuracy like general USB data so perhaps asynchronous allows better accuracy of info?

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #26 of 86
Quote:
Well then, I have noting 24-bit except maybe running some DVD or Blu-Ray movies on my computer where the high sampling rate could come in handy.  Going to be a hard choice.   

Don't worry about the 24-bit recordings: I stated that only as the maximum that these chips can handle. 16-bit will also work with both of them.

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #28 of 86
Quote:

Well done!
I enjoyed reading it and while some of my preferences are slightly different, I agree with most of your findings. 
Regarding the amp noise: my unit is dead silent even at 100% on high gain, so get that checked. But my headphones are nowhere near as sensitive as your SE535s, so that could be the reason.
BTW: looks like we shop at the same spot - maybe I'll bump into you there one day :)

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #30 of 86
Quote:

Well done!
I enjoyed reading it and while some of my preferences are slightly different, I agree with most of your findings. 
Regarding the amp noise: my unit is dead silent even at 100% on high gain, so get that checked. But my headphones are nowhere near as sensitive as your SE535s, so that could be the reason.
BTW: looks like we shop at the same spot - maybe I'll bump into you there one day :)

Hi PS,

Thanks for reading and for your feedback. What were your different preferences? I'm new to headphone amps so always interested to hear different perspectives.

Also, what cans are you using when you checked for noise? I.e. what's their impedance and sensitivity (or just model and I'll look up the specs)?

See you at A2A sometime!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back