Audio-gd NFB-5/5.2 users: share your experiences
Aug 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #31 of 86
Quote:
Hi PS,

Thanks for reading and for your feedback. What were your different preferences? I'm new to headphone amps so always interested to hear different perspectives.

Also, what cans are you using when you checked for noise? I.e. what's their impedance and sensitivity (or just model and I'll look up the specs)?

See you at A2A sometime!

Where we differ is filter settings: I settled for #4, which is totally flat at 96kHz sampling, and to me sounds smoother than #6. Also prefer the energy of high gain, even though it compresses the soundstage a bit. I use the Q701 so the soundstage is quite big anyway. They are 105 dB @ 62 ohm. Being quite bright they should carry the white noise through, if there was any.

Is it possible that the noise is generated by the source rather than the amp? Do you still get it if the source is disconnected?

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #32 of 86
Quote:

Where we differ is filter settings: I settled for #4, which is totally flat at 96kHz sampling, and to me sounds smoother than #6. Also prefer the energy of high gain, even though it compresses the soundstage a bit. I use the Q701 so the soundstage is quite big anyway. They are 105 dB @ 62 ohm. Being quite bright they should carry the white noise through, if there was any.

Is it possible that the noise is generated by the source rather than the amp? Do you still get it if the source is disconnected?

I'm glad you mentioned filter #4! I had been listening to that originally, but changed to #6 because it should be better in theory. I've gone back to #4 and agree with you that it does sound better - smoother and more natural.

I'll test the noise with my HF-680s (75 ohm) tomorrow with no source input.

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #33 of 86
Quote:
I'm glad you mentioned filter #4! I had been listening to that originally, but changed to #6 because it should be better in theory. I've gone back to #4 and agree with you that it does sound better - smoother and more natural.

I'll test the noise with my HF-680s (75 ohm) tomorrow with no source input.

Hey Loquah - any updates regarding your noise issue? I'm curious whether it is an attribute of high sensitivity headphones or there's something wrong with your unit. PM me if you'd like to arrange a comparative test.

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #34 of 86
Quote:

Hey Loquah - any updates regarding your noise issue? I'm curious whether it is an attribute of high sensitivity headphones or there's something wrong with your unit. PM me if you'd like to arrange a comparative test.

Haven't gotten back to A2A yet. I'll PM you...

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #35 of 86
Heading to PleasantSounds' place shortly for a comparison test. It will be interesting to see if the noise from my NFB-5.2 is normal (and just a result of the SE535s being so sensitive) or if my 5.2 is ever so slightly faulty.

I'm not sure which one to hope for, but I guess if it's slightly faulty then I might be able to use it to drive my SE535s in the future and enjoy the benefits of the 5.2's DAC.

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #37 of 86
Sep 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #38 of 86
Can other NFB-5/5.2 owners help me with something?

I'm off to swap mine over next week I hope (because of the background hum), but have another potential issue and I'm trying to determine if it's normal or not.

When I switch my 5.2 on or off it emits a loud crack through the HPO and/or through the RCA outs. I guess that means the crack is coming through the DAC. Does anyone else have this problem? I have to turn the volume right down before switching on or off.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #39 of 86
Quote:
Can other NFB-5/5.2 owners help me with something?

I'm off to swap mine over next week I hope (because of the background hum), but have another potential issue and I'm trying to determine if it's normal or not.

When I switch my 5.2 on or off it emits a loud crack through the HPO and/or through the RCA outs. I guess that means the crack is coming through the DAC. Does anyone else have this problem? I have to turn the volume right down before switching on or off.

Mine does turn off silently.
When turning on there's a subtle click, but certainly not loud enough to be a concern.
Good luck next week and let us know how it all went and how does the new unit behave.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #41 of 86
So I dropped into Addicted to Audio today with my 5.2 and am very disappointed to have come home without it and without a replacement!!

The Audio-gd policy is return for inspection so A2A have to send my 5.2 back to China for Audio-gd to inspect before I can get a replacement/repair. I now have no DAC and no amp!!!!

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #42 of 86
Quote:
So I dropped into Addicted to Audio today with my 5.2 and am very disappointed to have come home without it and without a replacement!!

The Audio-gd policy is return for inspection so A2A have to send my 5.2 back to China for Audio-gd to inspect before I can get a replacement/repair. I now have no DAC and no amp!!!!

Really sorry to hear that! It's going to take a good few weeks before you see it again. I just hope for your sake that they're not going to declare it "within tolerance".

Oh well - at least you're not paying the shipping costs (I hope).

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #43 of 86
Quote:

Really sorry to hear that! It's going to take a good few weeks before you see it again. I just hope for your sake that they're not going to declare it "within tolerance".

Oh well - at least you're not paying the shipping costs (I hope).

No, not paying shipping costs and I don't think the on/off "pop" will be within tolerance. Pretty sure I'll get a new unit or at least a replaced power supply stage (I think that's where the problem lies). It's a bummer to be without it for so long though... I just hope it's back in time for my Bottlehead Crack that I ordered this week.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #44 of 86
Went to Addicted to Audio yesterday to pick up a replacement 5.2 due to a change of situation regarding the inspection/repair of my unit. Getting the new one has reminded me just how good it sounds. Nothing like a week of crappy HPO from my old Sony receiver to make me really appreciate the magic of the 5.2.

Thanks to George and the team at A2A for helping me out and not making me wait throug the delayed shipping back and forth to china.

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #45 of 86
Quote:
Went to Addicted to Audio yesterday to pick up a replacement 5.2 due to a change of situation regarding the inspection/repair of my unit. Getting the new one has reminded me just how good it sounds. Nothing like a week of crappy HPO from my old Sony receiver to make me really appreciate the magic of the 5.2.
Thanks to George and the team at A2A for helping me out and not making me wait throug the delayed shipping back and forth to china.

Good to see that A2A is so accommodating - certainly builds confidence for dealing with them in the future.
But more importantly: how is the new 5.2? Hope you can't fault it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back