Audio-gd NFB-5/5.2 users: share your experiences
Sep 28, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #46 of 86
Quote:

Good to see that A2A is so accommodating - certainly builds confidence for dealing with them in the future.
But more importantly: how is the new 5.2? Hope you can't fault it.

It still has the on/off "pop" which apparently is normal now (not on the NFB-5 though). The hum's gone in this one though so I'm happy - I can live with turning the volume down before switching off. Other than that it's sounding beautiful - spent the afternoon laying on the lounge the other day with PC --> NFB-5.2 --> HD650s = bliss!

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #47 of 86
I'm sorry to report that the shine is really starting to fade from my NFB-5.2.

While there's no doubt that it sounds absolutely brilliant for the money, this is my second unit (first one had noise in the system and a nasty crack upon switching on/off) and has a nasty inducted noise through the DAC outputs.

I've just finished building my Bottlehead Crack amplifier and was excited about pairing it with the NFB-5.2, but straight away heard noise in the system. When I disconnected the RCAs from my "Crack", the noise went away so I tried reconnecting to the Crack and disconnecting from the 5.2. Sure enough the noise is coming from the 5.2 itself, it's not being inducted into the RCAs as I originally thought.

For a quality system like the NFB-5.2 I think it's fair to expect no induced noise - would you agree?

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #50 of 86
Quote:
I'm sorry to report that the shine is really starting to fade from my NFB-5.2.

While there's no doubt that it sounds absolutely brilliant for the money, this is my second unit (first one had noise in the system and a nasty crack upon switching on/off) and has a nasty inducted noise through the DAC outputs.

I've just finished building my Bottlehead Crack amplifier and was excited about pairing it with the NFB-5.2, but straight away heard noise in the system. When I disconnected the RCAs from my "Crack", the noise went away so I tried reconnecting to the Crack and disconnecting from the 5.2. Sure enough the noise is coming from the 5.2 itself, it's not being inducted into the RCAs as I originally thought.

For a quality system like the NFB-5.2 I think it's fair to expect no induced noise - would you agree?

You don't have much luck with your units. I use the line outs to feed speaker amp and never heard any noise in that config.
Are you 100% sure that it's not the RCA cable? I remember some trials with my AV receiver and a poor quality cable was picking up some interferences, but when I replaced it with a better cable, the issue went away. Note that the cable needs to be terminated to pick up the noise, otherwise it's always "silent".

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #51 of 86
Quote:

You don't have much luck with your units. I use the line outs to feed speaker amp and never heard any noise in that config.
Are you 100% sure that it's not the RCA cable? I remember some trials with my AV receiver and a poor quality cable was picking up some interferences, but when I replaced it with a better cable, the issue went away. Note that the cable needs to be terminated to pick up the noise, otherwise it's always "silent".

I've tried 3 different good quality RCA cables and all have had the same results. I'm going to also test with a different amplifier shortly.

I'm pretty confident that it's the unit though. From what I've heard the units vary from model to model as Kingwa makes circuitry changes - same specs, different components apparently. That might explain the issues with my 5.2s.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #53 of 86
Loved my NFB-5, and would have kept it if it had analog inputs. Now, I own the SA-31, and I'm missing the volume knob, terribly. I wish I had the Compass 2 instead. That volume knob is worth it to me over the benefits of power the SA-31 has.

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #55 of 86
Quote:

Do you still have this problem when there's no source connected to the NFB?

No - it's not source related. There must be some nasty power noise in my office and it's being picked up by the RCAs once they're in a circuit. As you said, unplugging opens the loop so there's no noise unless they're plugged in.

I moved the Crack and the NFB-5.2 out to the living room and it sounds sweet! No noise, just beautiful smooth sound.

That said, the HPO of the 5.2 stacks up really well given how highly regarded the Crack is. Space and separation is a bit better with the Crack I think, but it's not a big difference.

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #56 of 86
Hi everyone,

I just bought an Audio GD nfb 5.2 and it worked well on my old MacBook Pro.

However, when I used it with my Mac Mini 2012 model that has USB 3.0, the songs sound like aliens screaming. I use Audiwarna Plues and I am very frustrated. I downloaded the TE8800 updates but it does not work. I am now stuck with a product that does not work for me.

I am surprised why they sell the product and not inform customers that it does not work with USB 3.0.

Can someone help me please.

Thank you.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #60 of 86
Hello James

did you get this issue resolved?

i have ordered a audio-dg 5.32 and hav a mcook air 2012 too.

The funny thing is that usb 3 is suppose to be backwards compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back