Audio-gd FUN
Jan 8, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #61 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... they can benefit a lot from a good power cable, good power filtration and a good transport.

Doesn't [almost] everything?

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #62 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I should have stressed on the fact that they benefit "A LOT" from good power cables
o2smile.gif

For example, the audio-gd st-3 sound is totally transformed by power cords while the (similarily priced) Little dot mk3 doesn't benefit as much from upgraded power cords.

I think it has to do with the way the power supply is built (no traditional fuses, no voltage selection, type of transformer ?, ...)

This is true for both DACs and headphone amps from Audio-gd but that is not the case for all brands.As an example, I took my PowerTransPlus power cords last month to a friend's home who has 2 high end speaker systems based on Audiomat DACs and Audiomat Amplifiers. Both amplifiers benefited from the power cords but there was no real sonic improvement when they were used on both his DACs (there was a change in sound but not a definite improvement).

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #63 of 208
I just received an email from A-gd with an EMS tracking number. Looks like the FUN is on it's way.

Peete.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #64 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received an email from A-gd with an EMS tracking number. Looks like the FUN is on it's way.

Peete.

I can't wait to hear your results.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #66 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmychan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to receive my Fun too. Someone is already jealous.

Well, I am.
I have to admit that the "Fun" has captured my attention. For the technically curious, it invites experimentation like no other product I'm familiar with. Basically, it is a device that I can not only use, but also learn from, which is enormously appealing. Provided that the rest of the design is transparent, you can work your way from digital source input to headphone output and audition every step along the way.

I'd have to get the A-version, and at least one of the discrete gain modules, and of course the chip module. Both DACs, and definitely both of the output modules. Ouch. Good thing, I guess, that I already purchased the various OPA-modules....
o2smile.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #67 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have stressed on the fact that they benefit "A LOT" from good power cables
o2smile.gif

For example, the audio-gd st-3 sound is totally transformed by power cords while the (similarily priced) Little dot mk3 doesn't benefit as much from upgraded power cords.

I think it has to do with the way the power supply is built (no traditional fuses, no voltage selection, type of transformer ?, ...)

This is true for both DACs and headphone amps from Audio-gd but that is not the case for all brands.As an example, I took my PowerTransPlus power cords last month to a friend's home who has 2 high end speaker systems based on Audiomat DACs and Audiomat Amplifiers. Both amplifiers benefited from the power cords but there was no real sonic improvement when they were used on both his DACs (there was a change in sound but not a definite improvement).

Oh brother. To all beginner audiophiles reading this thread, visit the sound science forum before wasting your money on cables.
wink.gif

Particularly this one: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/1...-audio-462413/

EDIT: This one too: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/t...cables-412135/

Make your own decisions. I just want to give you some good resources.
wink.gif

BTW, how long 'til one of these lands in somebody's hands?

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #68 of 208
Raez,

Tempted as I am to demolish the more absurd arguments in those links, I don't want to get into the whole cables argument, especially as it tends to be a waste of time. I will just say, it's not a matter of black-and-white and, not to mention, lacking extensive scientific tests with high-precision equipment that would give us useful answers, so we have to rely on our often imperfect ears and brain.

I might add, though Kingwa hasn't said why, the reason he sends out these free units is because he feels his English is far too inadequate to answer people's questions on the forum if they ask them and he knows that we'll say whether we think something is good or bad. I've had some very serious talks with people about Head-fi and hype, so I just wanted to put this out there.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for arrival, mine left Osaka today, so possibly tomorrow. Might be a few days before I write anything. At the moment I'm trying to work out if the Symphones Magnums (highly modified Grado SR325s/Allesandro MS2s) are the second coming or not*.

[size=xx-small]*You might have had to been around Head-fi for a few years to get that one, but no matter if you don't.[/size]

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #69 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Raez,

Tempted as I am to demolish the more absurd arguments in those links, I don't want to get into the whole cables argument, especially as it tends to be a waste of time. I will just say, it's not a matter of black-and-white and, not to mention, lacking extensive scientific tests with high-precision equipment that would give us useful answers, so we have to rely on our often imperfect ears and brain.

I might add, though Kingwa hasn't said why, the reason he sends out these free units is because he feels his English is far too inadequate to answer people's questions on the forum if they ask them and he knows that we'll say whether we think something is good or bad. I've had some very serious talks with people about Head-fi and hype, so I just wanted to put this out there.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for arrival, mine left Osaka today, so possibly tomorrow. Might be a few days before I write anything. At the moment I'm trying to work out if the Symphones Magnums (highly modified Grado SR325s/Allesandro MS2s) are the second coming or not*.

[size=xx-small]*You might have had to been around Head-fi for a few years to get that one, but no matter if you don't.[/size]

One of my goals eventually is to get some HF2's... which should replace my SR325i's as my baby PS1000's... after getting HF2's, would you reccomend magnum-ing the sr325i's?

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #70 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the Carat-Peridot with me for a good while and I thought that the Compass was overall a better sounding unit.

Hey, I'm merely providing an alternative impression otherwise this would be such a boring place right?
tongue.gif

To be fair, I pulled the stock soldered opamps and replaced with sockets so I could roll opamps. The Peridot with different opamps bested my Compass to my ears.

And, when I did use the Compass, I used an Iron Lung power cable plugged into a power conditioner.

Again, for those that are happy with the Compass, that's fantastic. IME there are better options out there for the price.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #71 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my goals eventually is to get some HF2's... which should replace my SR325i's as my baby PS1000's... after getting HF2's, would you reccomend magnum-ing the sr325i's?

I'm probably pulling words out of my ass but a quick look at the impression thread tells me that the Magnum sounds like a neutral Grado. Well, it is to each and of his own but neutrality is not what I'm looking for in a Grado.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be fair, I pulled the stock soldered opamps and replaced with sockets so I could roll opamps. The Peridot with different opamps bested my Compass to my ears.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree?
tongue.gif

On the topic of op-amps, it is a pity that I didn't have the opportunity to try the AD797, OPA627 or LT1028 in the Compass.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #72 of 208
Well, here's what I got in the mail today!

>>
AAA_1972.JPG

>>
AAA_1973.JPG

>>
AAA_1975.JPG

>>
AAA_1976.JPG

>>
AAA_1977.JPG

>>
AAA_1978.JPG

>>
AAA_1981.JPG

>>
AAA_1982.JPG

>>
>>

So the first thing I had some FUN with was figuring out what combo of buttons needed to be pressed to get output to the Headphones. Once you figure out how to work the buttons it starts making music!

An improvement is that he attached the "Note" on the front with Scotch tape. Thanx KW! No Goof Off needed today to get the stickers off.

A departure from the Compass. The Chassis is stamped Steel rather than Battlsship thick Aluminum like the Compass. He is not heat sinking to the Chassis as in some of his other gear, so I don't know if that had something to do with it or not. But I miss the Compass case.

The Front Panel is the same as the Compass, 8mm thick AL. There is no Opmap in the Opamp socket in the default config. In my opinion the Opamp improves it a lot. Sounded a little Flat without it. I have a SUN HDAM in there at present.

I have a few modules to try out as well here, so that will be part of the FUN!

Initial impressions with the SUN: Bright and Bassy as one might expect from the SUN. But in a FUN in the SUN kinda way. Strange thing is, I never thought the Compass showed the SUN off that well. Didn't think much of it in the Compass. Maybe it will show the MOON well too. I didn't like it either in the Compass.

So, after just a little listening time, sounds interesting and I like it so far. Tried it out with Beyer 770-80 Pros and HF-2s so far.

Additionally the Gain seems a little Low without the OPA in place. I got a bunch of Chip OPas I can try as well. I think I may drop a LT1364 or 4562 in there and see what happens. I also need to extricate the Earth out of my Zero or Compass for it.

EDIT: I just "spoke" with KW about the OPAamp not being in the socket. It needs it. I think he was assuming I would use one of the HDAMs I already have. Also he told me the case is AL not steel. But it is not the THICK AL a la the Compass.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #75 of 208
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back