Audio-gd FUN
Jan 7, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #46 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by wdoerr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the giant killers giant killer.

The entity called "Kingwa" sure is a good (some may use a different description) marketer.

rolleyes.gif

Peete.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #47 of 208
Any reviews on this. It may be that on friday I may be buying one or the other... or making the decision one the compass or the fun. Pacific Valve has a good deal on the compass so I'm seriously considering it... one of the best amps I've ever heard so I really do want one.

If anybody who has the fun and a compass can chime in, even shortly, I'd really appreciate.

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #48 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really didn't have high expectations for the Compass. And I too agree that it is very well built. However, I was very disappointed when a StyleAudio Carat-Peridot running on usb power sounded much better than the Compass with any HDAM. For the investment and the hype, the Compass should have been a better performer than the Peridot. The Compass also sounded much worse than a stock Lite DAC-AH to my ears but the Lite is a DAC only and doesn't have USB input. The Compass is definitely a versatile piece of gear with the pre-amp and ability to bypass the amp and use the DAC only.

I'm happy for the folks that bought the Compass and really enjoy it. However, there are several people who bought one and were disappointed with it based on pms I have received. I just hope the Fun doesn't get overhyped like the Compass did.

I remember someone commenting that at $260 it was good value, but at $350 was average. In retrospect, feature-wise it was good value but since its release quite a few devices have been released that fit into the market where the upgraded Zero was, such as the Hifiman EF-2, AMB Gamma 2 (y2) and Nuforce uDAC. Kingwa was also firing blind into the market, with likely little or no idea what is out there. From comparing gear afterwards, I think his PCM-1704-based DACs (DAC19MK3 and above) and the C2C and better headphone amps are where the value is and the Compass really needs to become smaller, simpler and cheaper or have better SQ.

I'm glad I'm getting the FUN purely because I want to learn about the effect of different kinds of circuits on the sound. I don't imagine that it will have any kind of miraculous SQ (mainly in the level of detail or its ability to drive headphones) but if the $260 version can match the Compass in SQ and the more expensive versions are significantly better-sounding then he is where he needs to at I reckon, anyway. He's also putting his ACSS tech on the line, so-to-speak, as we'll be able, to some degree, to find out how much it improves on regular circuits.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #49 of 208
I can get an Audio GD Compass for 250$ shipped brand new. Should I do it or wait for the FUN? I'm inclined to wait for the FUN, because it will offer almost as much tweaking fun as my little dot I+. For now I'm pretty focused on toying with that, but I've got room on my desk almost ear marked for an audio-GD headphone amp.

There are three reasons I want an audio GD amp:
  1. First and foremost, is the DAC functionality. If the DAC in the FUN is a much better part, I'm willing to wait. I will most likely pay extra for the usb functionality so I can have several great options to choose from.
  2. Secondly, I want a more powerful amplifier capable of driving higher impedence headphones. Not only is this an entry DAC for me, but an entry AMP.
  3. Third, it will almost act as a reciever, line in, optical and usb will all be setup from my computer or be really easy to hook up on demand, and then I can setup the line out to lead to my Little Dot I+, so that my I+ can benefit from the DAC... and then I can just click and unclick supermode to swap amps.

Really a hard decision though, Compass for 250 shipped, or wait for the FUN. I'd want to have a solid answer by tomorrow, but I realize this is expecting a lot. (if I go fun I'll wait until I totally flesh out my lil' tube amp) I think the FUN will really let me build on the DAC functionality, which really is critical for me buying it... but if the amp portion is decent too, I'll probably complement it with some good high end senns. 600's or 650's. I'll wait for the next head-fi meet to decide on that, though.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #50 of 208
I would just get the FUN. Quote:

Version A : USD330 (With USB input)
With USB, coaxial and optical input, DIR9001 module, DA1852 DA module, DAC output amp is OPA2134, ASCC gain modules and diamond output modules. Excludes shipping charges. Users can easy change between Version A and B without solder, by changing the modules. Default supports up to 96KHz/24Bit, if owners want to supports up to 192KHz/24Bit, ask us replaced by the DIR8416 module while place the order.

Version B1 : USD285 (With USB input)
Version B2 : USD260 (Without USB input)
With coaxial and optical input (Version B1 has USB input), DIR9001 module, DA1852 DA module, DAC output amp is OPA2134, "Neutral" gain modules and diamond output modules. Users can easy change between Version A and B without solder, by changing the modules. Default supports up to 96KHz/24Bit, if owners want to supports up to 192KHz/24Bit, send a email to ask us replaced by the DIR8416 module while place the order.

I wonder if Version A really is worth the extra cash over Version B?

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #51 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can get an Audio GD Compass for 250$ shipped brand new. Should I do it or wait for the FUN? I'm inclined to wait for the FUN, because it will offer almost as much tweaking fun as my little dot I+. For now I'm pretty focused on toying with that, but I've got room on my desk almost ear marked for an audio-GD headphone amp.

There are three reasons I want an audio GD amp:
  1. First and foremost, is the DAC functionality. If the DAC in the FUN is a much better part, I'm willing to wait. I will most likely pay extra for the usb functionality so I can have several great options to choose from.
  2. Secondly, I want a more powerful amplifier capable of driving higher impedence headphones. Not only is this an entry DAC for me, but an entry AMP.
  3. Third, it will almost act as a reciever, line in, optical and usb will all be setup from my computer or be really easy to hook up on demand, and then I can setup the line out to lead to my Little Dot I+, so that my I+ can benefit from the DAC... and then I can just click and unclick supermode to swap amps.

Really a hard decision though, Compass for 250 shipped, or wait for the FUN. I'd want to have a solid answer by tomorrow, but I realize this is expecting a lot. (if I go fun I'll wait until I totally flesh out my lil' tube amp) I think the FUN will really let me build on the DAC functionality, which really is critical for me buying it... but if the amp portion is decent too, I'll probably complement it with some good high end senns. 600's or 650's. I'll wait for the next head-fi meet to decide on that, though.

At the core of it, the Compass offers the same functionality as the FUN - if you go for the FUN, you pretty much have to justify it by either going for a top configuration (at higher cost) and hope that it will produce a sufficiently superior result to justify the additional outlay, or justify it by audio curiosity and really try different configurations - at even higher eventual outlay.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got the Compass. It does a great job. I have a remarkable assortment of headphones, and it can drive even rather exotic ones well. I've gone through it in terms of measurements, and there as well, you'll find no reason to look anywhere else. Build quality is likely to be equivalent (i.e. very solid design, but subject to typical small series problems).

Personally I'd like to have the FUN, because I helped do some HP-amp designs back when the Etymotic ER-4b first showed up and am still carrying around an unhealthy curiosity on the subject, and I find DACs, well, fun. That said, I freely admit that unless you are a total gearhead futzing around with amplifier topologies has very limited entertainment value, and you might be better off just getting a good setup and stick with it. In which case the Compass at $250 is a very solid piece of kit. In most peoples setup, the DAC will be twiddling its thumbs with 44kHz/16-bit input anyway, and they will use headphones that the Compass will have no problem driving, such as the Sennheisers you mention.

The FUN particularly adds value for the very technically inclined and the fairy dust snorters who will have a field day/month/year testing different configurations. If you don't belong to either group, you should consider the advice your wallet gives you. All IMHO obviously.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #52 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just get the FUN.

I wonder if Version A really is worth the extra cash over Version B?

There is really only one way to find out, isn't there?
And it costs $330+$27
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #53 of 208
I got my Compass in X'mas, at that time Kingwa did not annouce the Fun yet.

I now order a Fun as well and it will be shipped out in a few days.

I like the Fun-A because it uses CAST technology in the headamp that should be superior than Comapss. I have also upgraded the DAC and expecting it will be better than the default one. Adding a OP-Sun to replace the default OPAmp is another upgrade.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #55 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmychan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Fun-A because it uses CAST technology in the headamp that should be superior than Comapss. I have also upgraded the DAC and expecting it will be better than the default one. Adding a OP-Sun to replace the default OPAmp is another upgrade.

"Should be superior" - well, by some arguments, perhaps it should, but is it really? And if it is, can you really hear any difference? And even if you can, can you really tell which is better?
The beauty of the FUN isn't that it is allows you to assemble a particular device in LEGO fashion (although that is neat too). The beauty of the FUN is that it allows people without a lot of experience in circuit design, soldering and a lot of time on their hands to actually make comparisons for themselves. If you have that kind of interest that opportunity is worth paying for. Kingwa knows what he's doing.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope he makes all the individual components to a high enough standard that it makes the comparisons valid - if a topology is needlessly compromised by a higher noise floor or similar, the comparison isn't very interesting. But I have some confidence in his abilities.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #56 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by EntropyQ3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Should be superior" - well, by some arguments, perhaps it should, but is it really? And if it is, can you really hear any difference? And even if you can, can you really tell which is better?
The beauty of the FUN isn't that it is allows you to assemble a particular device in LEGO fashion (although that is neat too). The beauty of the FUN is that it allows people without a lot of experience in circuit design, soldering and a lot of time on their hands to actually make comparisons for themselves. If you have that kind of interest that opportunity is worth paying for. Kingwa knows what he's doing.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope he makes all the individual components to a high enough standard that it makes the comparisons valid - if a topology is needlessly compromised by a higher noise floor or similar, the comparison isn't very interesting. But I have some confidence in his abilities.

I totally agree with the fact that the beauty of the FUN comes from the fact that it allows any user to try very easily different configurations.

As for the quality of the individual components, I also think there is no need to worry about their quality (noise floor, transparency, ...).
The dac-19mk3 (that I am currently using as my reference dac) has a digital module that can be replaced the same way as the FUN modules. I was also a little bit worried that it might compromise the sound but the results with both modules (DF1704 and PMD100) are truly excellent.
Even if I know, that there is perhaps a slight loss of sound quality compared to a direct soldering to the PCB (I am no engineer, I am just speculating) I believe it is really minimal/negligible and is very useful.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #57 of 208
Oh good grief. The Compass hasn't even been out for a year, lol.

This looks badass. If I were to go for one, it be version A minus the USB input.

I don't like those vents in the back, though. It is kind of nice that my Compass has no vents, so no need to be dusting the interior every once in a while. Yes, 'cuz I'm lazy like dat, yo.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #58 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh good grief. The Compass hasn't even been out for a year, lol.

This looks badass. If I were to go for one, it be version A minus the USB input.

I don't like those vents in the back, though. It is kind of nice that my Compass has no vents, so no need to be dusting the interior every once in a while. Yes, 'cuz I'm lazy like dat, yo.

I want to report you so bad, right now. Seriously. I want you banned, I want all your friends banned. I want your family shipped off to somewhere cold... like nextdoor. Rickrolling poor people considering mods to thier grado's...

GRRRRRRR

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #59 of 208
Quote:

I really didn't have high expectations for the Compass. And I too agree that it is very well built. However, I was very disappointed when a StyleAudio Carat-Peridot running on usb power sounded much better than the Compass with any HDAM. For the investment and the hype, the Compass should have been a better performer than the Peridot. The Compass also sounded much worse than a stock Lite DAC-AH to my ears but the Lite is a DAC only and doesn't have USB input. The Compass is definitely a versatile piece of gear with the pre-amp and ability to bypass the amp and use the DAC only.

I'm happy for the folks that bought the Compass and really enjoy it. However, there are several people who bought one and were disappointed with it based on pms I have received. I just hope the Fun doesn't get overhyped like the Compass did.

I had the Carat-Peridot with me for a good while and I thought that the Compass was overall a better sounding unit.

Hey, I'm merely providing an alternative impression otherwise this would be such a boring place right?
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #60 of 208
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the Carat-Peridot with me for a good while and I thought that the Compass was overall a better sounding unit.

Hey, I'm merely providing an alternative impression otherwise this would be such a boring place right?
tongue.gif

I am not surprised to read conflicting views about the Compass. From my experience with audio-gd units, I have found that they can benefit a lot from a good power cable, good power filtration and a good transport.

So different set-ups will undoubtedly yield different results. As an example, I feel that my dac-100 (Compass dac) is average with a stock power cable plugged into a belkin power outlet. However, it sounds excellent when I use it with a PowerTransPlus Power cord ($300 per meter) and either my BADA power plant or Supra Mains Block. Using different transports and usb vs. Spdif gives different result.

My intent is not to encourage people to stick $300 power cords into the compass but it is just to explain why, in my opinion, it is not surprising to have different views about how good is the Compass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back