Audio-gd FUN
Jan 1, 2010 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 208

Xtreme3X

New Head-Fier
Was surfing around and saw this Audio-gd FUN . This is new equipment from Audio-gd comes with DAC + Headphone amp + Preamp and is going to replace the current Compass!

Now i know why the sudden of stopping the production for Compass. Wonder anyone ordered it yet?

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 208
I'd say most people are trying to get their head around it, including me. If you bought one with all the modules (rather an expensive proposition if you add it all up) you could spend MANY hours playing with the different combinations. I'm seeing it more as a useful tool to learn about the different "sounds" of the different parts of DACs and amps. The bass price is closer to what I had wished the Compass would have been in the end. If the FUN gives better SQ for the dollar, that'll be good.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 208
Looks interesting. Wonder how this one compares to the Compass..

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 208
Interesting idea
Wonder which design(A or B) sounds better with default settings
Seems that design B gives a little more flexibility upon the change of the output modules
Looking foward to a detailed review

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 208
I just ordered a COMPASS a few days ago, before introduction of the FUN. I have to say if I had known the FUN was coming, I might have waited and ordered it instead of the COMPASS. That ACSS "current mode" module sounds quite fascinating to me, I might have liked to check that out. Similar to Krell's CAST maybe? Dunno.

Anyway this looks like a fascinating product, a real HOBBYIST product. I really like "playing" with audio gear, adjusting and tweaking and modding, to see if I can change the sound to something I like better. This highly configurable FUN looks like, well, like fun!

The FUN represents A VERY INTERESTING idea from Mr. Kingwa. I suspect Mr. Kingwa must be a bit of a genius to perceive that there would be market interest in a product like this, and then to be able to design a product in a modular way that allows meaningful but subtle changes to be made by swapping out the various sections. BRILLIANT!

I also want to compliment Audio-gd's great customer service. When I bought my COMPASS, I found the ordering / confirmation process to be very professional, fast and reassuring.

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 208
I wonder how the internal headphone amplifier will compare to the one of the C2C. I need a desktop Headphone amplifier and don't really need a DAC, but if the C2C\FUN are nearly the same about headphone amplification i would rather buy a FUN!

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 208
Brilliant idea. 14 different modules sounds like there will be an awful lot of room for changing the sound. It'll be interesting to see what kind of range of difference there will be between all these different modules.

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by milosz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a COMPASS a few days ago, before introduction of the FUN. I have to say if I had known the FUN was coming, I might have waited and ordered it instead of the COMPASS. That ACSS "current mode" module sounds quite fascinating to me, I might have liked to check that out. Similar to Krell's CAST maybe? Dunno.

Anyway this looks like a fascinating product, a real HOBBYIST product. I really like "playing" with audio gear, adjusting and tweaking and modding, to see if I can change the sound to something I like better. This highly configurable FUN looks like, well, like fun!

The FUN represents A VERY INTERESTING idea from Mr. Kingwa. I suspect Mr. Kingwa must be a bit of a genius to perceive that there would be market interest in a product like this, and then to be able to design a product in a modular way that allows meaningful but subtle changes to be made by swapping out the various sections. BRILLIANT!

I also want to compliment Audio-gd's great customer service. When I bought my COMPASS, I found the ordering / confirmation process to be very professional, fast and reassuring.

You might be able to change the order- send an email.

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan_McCloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how the internal headphone amplifier will compare to the one of the C2C. I need a desktop Headphone amplifier and don't really need a DAC, but if the C2C\FUN are nearly the same about headphone amplification i would rather buy a FUN!

Seems like it's more along the lines of the Compass amp. The standard C-2C is $335 and this "Fun" amp with all its modularity is still less at $330. Plus with the compass already having the "earth," "moon," etc. opamps, this looks more like an upgrade to the compass than the C-2C. I think I've read people saying the Compass amp is 75-80% of the C-2C, but as good as it is it's still not a C-2C.
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan_McCloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't expect it to even come close. The C2C is $380 of pure godly amp, the FUN is $330 with amp/DAC and if it's based even somewhat off the Compass then it is more focused on the DAC.

Also keep in mind that the C2C is FAR more neutral than the Compass, and I would expect the same from FUN.

Jan 1, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty reasonable price for an dac with some much stuff to tweak

Depends. How much are those modules going to cost?

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't expect it to even come close. The C2C is $380 of pure godly amp, the FUN is $330 with amp/DAC and if it's based even somewhat off the Compass then it is more focused on the DAC.

Also keep in mind that the C2C is FAR more neutral than the Compass, and I would expect the same from FUN.

I believe Kingwa said that Compass amp is 80% of C2C (standard), so if FUN is an improvement over Compass (especially the A version with ACSS modules like in C2C), its quite possible that FUN has a performance that is close to C2C.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #15 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe Kingwa said that Compass amp is 80% of C2C (standard), so if FUN is an improvement over Compass (especially the A version with ACSS modules like in C2C), its quite possible that FUN has a performance that is close to C2C.

I seriously doubt the Compass was 80% of that of the C2C, I've compared the 2 and the differences are LARGE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back