Audio-gd FUN
Jan 2, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #16 of 208
2010-01-02,UtzY
Hi,
I have a question if you don't mind.
From the pictures I see that the new Fun appears to be similar in technology with C-2C, I have to ask you directly... what's the difference between the two? (What's better and why?)
In specs you stated that the Fun has 3500mW/25 ohm
The C-2C has only 560MW/25 ohm
What transformer have C-2C and what power consumption? From the pictures I say that it is quite similar.. and from the specs I understand that the Fun is quite better.(better acss modules?)

What amplifier(alone without DAC) do you recommend? And why?

Dear Sir,

From the pictures I see that the new Fun appears to be similar in technology with C-2C, I have to ask you directly... what's the difference between the two? (What's better and why?)---------The ACSS modules is better in FUN, but C2C is applied class A power supply,MOS output stage, so total C2C is slight than FUN amp.
In specs you stated that the Fun has 3500mW/25 ohm
The C-2C has only 560MW/25 ohm--------------------Because C2C is applied class A PSU, , and 560MW is enough for most 25 ohms headphone.
What transformer have C-2C and what power consumption? From the pictures I say that it is quite similar and from the specs I understand that the Fun is quite better.--------------C2C is applied 50W R -core
What amplifier(alone without DAC) do you recommend? And why?-------C2C or ROC or phoenix. If your source is good enough, they sound neutral, so they can show you how good or how bad are you're recordings.
Kingwa

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #17 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seriously doubt the Compass was 80% of that of the C2C, I've compared the 2 and the differences are LARGE.

I think that figure is just an attempt to give some kind of comparison. The percentage is meaningless, unless by it he can link to some or other specification or performance measurement he made. Probably a good test of a headphone amp is how the HD-600s are with it. With the Compass they sounded ok, but the soundstage was rather collapsed. However, with the C2C it was nice and wide.

Kingwa saw my previous post and emailed me to say that (he believes) version A, which is about the same price as the Compass, has better SQ.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #18 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that figure is just an attempt to give some kind of comparison. The percentage is meaningless, unless by it he can link to some or other specification or performance measurement he made. Probably a good test of a headphone amp is how the HD-600s are with it. With the Compass they sounded ok, but the soundstage was rather collapsed. However, with the C2C it was nice and wide.

Kingwa saw my previous post and emailed me to say that (he believes) version A, which is about the same price as the Compass, has better SQ.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it has better SQ than the Compass, but not than the C2C.

The Compass is not neutral, not by a long shot, nor is it a top tier amp, although it can contend with some amps twice it's price as it is still a very good product for the price. The C2C on the other hand, with a proper source, is very neutral and can contend with amps 4x it's price, I just don't see how they can compare.

Then again, neutral is not always the best thing, as some people, myself included, much prefer a FUN sound, excuse the pun, and would take the Compass over the C2C any day (at least for headphones like Grados and Denons, once you get into the AKGs and Senns I'd probably go with C2C).

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #19 of 208
Great idea Kingwa. I hope you sell a lot.

I agree Necrolic, the stock setting is fairly bright on the Compass, but very natural sounding for the price. I'm yet to try the other settings or modules. I really want to try the moon. I probably get both the other modules at some point soon. I just like how my vinyl sound so much on it I'm afraid to change anything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #20 of 208
I don't think change the OPA at first.
Compass has four sound flavors for users setting, if you think it is bright, setting to other flavors for try, maybe you can find the neutral for yourself.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #21 of 208
Hrm. Interesting 1 box solution. I might buy this for office rig.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #22 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by slytown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great idea Kingwa. I hope you sell a lot.

I agree Necrolic, the stock setting is fairly bright on the Compass, but very natural sounding for the price. I'm yet to try the other settings or modules. I really want to try the moon. I probably get both the other modules at some point soon. I just like how my vinyl sound so much on it I'm afraid to change anything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I've tried all the jumper settings and stuck with neutral with my Earth OPA, as I found everything else hurt detail or negatively affected the sound in some way.

I'm considering picking up the other HDAMs, but I'm not sure whether I want to or not. I've heard nothing but good things about the Earth, but the Moon is supposed to only be good for jazz/blues and not so great for anything else, whereas the Sun is supposedly too bright for rock or anything similar.

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #23 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I've tried all the jumper settings and stuck with neutral with my Earth OPA, as I found everything else hurt detail or negatively affected the sound in some way.

I'm considering picking up the other HDAMs, but I'm not sure whether I want to or not. I've heard nothing but good things about the Earth, but the Moon is supposed to only be good for jazz/blues and not so great for anything else, whereas the Sun is supposedly too bright for rock or anything similar.

Yea, I want to get the Sun and Moon just to try them out. Any brighter and I'll lose the warmth I really like.

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #24 of 208
This really does seem like a fun piece of gear and i can see why Kingwa decided to call it the fun. I might have to try and save some funds for this. I really like my c2c and i want a dac so i can listen to music using the optical line out from the zune hd dock.

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #25 of 208
abellaw, I think you meant to say FUNds
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #26 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
abellaw, I think you meant to say FUNds
biggrin.gif

Peete.

I facepalmed IRL.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #28 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I will be testing the Audio-gd FUN in a few days. I will be able to make comparisons with the dac-100 (Compass DAC), dac-19mK3 and C2C that I already have.

well, I'm sure many will be waiting patiently for your comparison/review...

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #29 of 208
Quote:

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I will be testing the Audio-gd FUN in a few days. I will be able to make comparisons with the dac-100 (Compass DAC), dac-19mK3 and C2C that I already have.

Cool. Keep us posted.

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #30 of 208
Quote:

Hi guys,

Excellent. I'm interested in buying one of these if the reviews are good.

Not a substantive observation, but I don't like the arrangement of things on the front panel. It looks very cluttered compared to the Compass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back