Audeze SINE Series
Dec 16, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #3,046 of 4,785
Shameless plug :grinning:

I don't mean to! but he did ask the question. I'm subscribed to the thread, so it pops up in the email...didn't want to leave the dude hangin :)

If there's anyone i really want to plug it's the dude at audio-technica. I started chatting with him about all these orders because I've ordered MSR7 pads for my other headphones, and he was like "please tell people to be patient! i'm the only guy in the department!" Maybe if he gets enough orders, he can get A-T to justify hiring him an assistant!

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #3,047 of 4,785
Got the Fiio A5 to supplement my X3ii. Technically, A5 meets SINE power requirement, X3ii does not.

Initial impressions are: Both sound great, and 1.) Not a big change. 2.) If there is a change, it's more brightness/clarity with the amp. Maybe more bass impact. Not sure about soundstage yet. 3.) Getting the volume matching is critical here. My very first impression was that the amp added those #2 factors big time. But then I got the volume matched as best I could, and the differences (if any) became much more subtle.

Next: Gonna get my wife to help me do a blind A/B with amp and w/o amp instead of switching back and forth myself. I really want to like this amp. Everything about it is good. And returning things is a big pain. But if I don't need it, I don't want more baggage.

One cool thing so far was trying my Ety ER-4S and using the bass boost option on the amp. Using the bass boost option on the SINE seems to add more mud than quality bass, but with the ER-4S, it might actually be interesting. Also depends on the song, I'll have to mess with it some more.

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #3,048 of 4,785
Preliminary observations on Vesperaudio pads:

Best bass impact and amount..
Most neutral trebles..
Most neutral flat mids.
Soundstage a bit further away than both stock and Audio Technica pads.

A bit less lively in mids over Audio Technica pads.
Trebles placed a bit further away as well, in line with mids...

I believe these pads could be the best..
They certainly do look the best and also in quality and feel.

The slightly less lively presence in mids is easily attributed to the new pad thickness placing more ear distance from driver..

I have been spoiled by the Audio Technica pads being a bit softer and so collapsing more, placing ear closer to driver..

Vesperaudio pads are lush and full.

I decided to do the HM5 "pad crush" idea, to "break in" the pads overnight...

So we finally have a second solution that is just as good and more of another choice.

It does do what no other pad has addressed fully, which is treble tonality.
:)

Which Vesperaudio pad? There is 3 different versions I think.

Leather+alcantara 2 cm thick(most popular thickness) with"fast foam", not "memory foam"...
This was the least customized version.
They can make practically anything you want.
I decided against angled pads for portability .

Inner dimensions are not as wide as the Audio Technica, which are a bit wider than optimal.
They are instead more deeper.

I have broken them in by compressing them about 48hrs,
So will do more comparisons today..
:)

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #3,049 of 4,785
thinking of trying these...just worried about reports of pressure on ears after an hr or so, however, both on here
and in reviews (i wear glasses)....could scoop a used pair in 'excellent' condition (non cipher) for US$280 shipped

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #3,050 of 4,785
  thinking of trying these...just worried about reports of pressure on ears after an hr or so, however, both on here
and in reviews (i wear glasses)....could scoop a used pair in 'excellent' condition (non cipher) for US$280 shipped

Sine being on-ear means it is designed to clamp fairly aggressively to create a sufficient seal of the pads on your ears. I wear glasses too, but the arms of my glasses are very thin and flat metal so I find the Sine pretty comfortable. The longest I've worn them straight was about 5 hours and had no pain points, but I felt the firm pressure on my ears the whole time. I would say my head is pretty much medium size but sides of my head are pretty much straight and parallel, not rounded. Yes, my head is like a square LOL.

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #3,052 of 4,785
Can someone please compare the sines to the B&O h6 2nd gen?

I do not own the H6, but can point out a few things:

H6 comes with ipod only cable, so you need another cable .
H6 has been said to have flat lean sound need amping to sound best, and not efficient, which is strange.

H6 uses a 40mm dynamic driver.
Dynamic drivers are usually very efficient, so dominant in portable use,
But will always produce a non liner dispersion/wave pattern to ear due to shape of driver...

So most portables are just not going to get past those limitations.

In contrast Sine The Sine’s 80 x 70mm flat planar drivers claim to be three times the surface area of any other on-ear in its class..
This is most probably a comparison to a dynamic driver though.

A Planar headphone creates a huge even/accurate sonic "wave front" pattern to your ear.

This equals a more realistic wave pattern than any dynamic driver,
and is why most planers will sound superior to a dynamic driver.

The HD800 solves this by creating a ring radiator , which is a dynamic driver without the center dome..

So if you really want to compare the Sine sound quality to a similar quality headphones,
You have to look at the top of line portables.

IMO, the Sine is in same top class as the Ultrasone ED5, the OPPO PM1&2, and the HifiMan Edition S,
All of which I have owned.
The sine is currently my favorite portable,
But ONLY with the pad change to over ear..

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #3,053 of 4,785
Can someone please compare the sines to the B&O h6 2nd gen?

Sure, here you go:

Sines have less sub-bass and more mids (especially lower mids). Soundstage is more intimate. The Sines are also much faster and snappier (most snappy and accurate drum reproduction I've ever heard). Instrument separation and isolation are a draw.

The H6 are slightly more efficient and easier to drive than the Sines. They also have a bigger soundstage than the Sine and also a lot more power in the sub-bass region. They do sound a little colder and more analytical than the Sine. And the H6 are way more comfortable.

I own and will keep both. The Sines are better suited for quiet environments, because they lack sub-bass. They are comparable to the Westone UM3X, signature-wise, so they are freaking awesome for rock, metal and everything else containing real instruments. I love re-listening Fleetwood Mac on those, but they do need proper amplification for old, "quiet" recordings. The H6 are great for bass-heavy music and orchestral stuff. So for me it's just mood dependent, which one I would grab.

Dec 18, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #3,054 of 4,785
Sure, here you go:

Sines have less sub-bass and more mids (especially lower mids). Soundstage is more intimate. The Sines are also much faster and snappier (most snappy and accurate drum reproduction I've ever heard). Instrument separation and isolation are a draw.

The H6 are slightly more efficient and easier to drive than the Sines. They also have a bigger soundstage than the Sine and also a lot more power in the sub-bass region. They do sound a little colder and more analytical than the Sine. And the H6 are way more comfortable.

I own and will keep both. The Sines are better suited for quiet environments, because they lack sub-bass. They are comparable to the Westone UM3X, signature-wise, so they are freaking awesome for rock, metal and everything else containing real instruments. I love re-listening Fleetwood Mac on those, but they do need proper amplification for old, "quiet" recordings. The H6 are great for bass-heavy music and orchestral stuff. So for me it's just mood dependent, which one I would grab.

H6 has been said to have flat lean sound need amping to sound best, and not efficient, which is strange.

But will always produce a non liner dispersion/wave pattern to ear due to shape of driver...

In contrast Sine The Sine’s 80 x 70mm flat planar drivers claim to be three times the surface area of any other on-ear in its class..

A Planar headphone creates a huge even/accurate sonic "wave front" pattern to your ear.

The HD800 solves this by creating a ring radiator , which is a dynamic driver without the center dome..

So if you really want to compare the Sine sound quality to a similar quality headphones,

IMO, the Sine is in same top class as the Ultrasone ED5, the OPPO PM1&2, and the HifiMan Edition S,

Thank you guys very much!

I come from v moda m100 and also had beats studio, both of them are too bassy for me.

I listen mostly to rock, blues, metal, hip hop and sometime pop and edm.

Would you guys say the sines will be the best option?
Maybe oppo pm 3 or bw p7?

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #3,055 of 4,785

I come from v moda m100 and also had beats studio, both of them are too bassy for me.

I listen mostly to rock, blues, metal, hip hop and sometime pop and edm.

Would you guys say the sines will be the best option?
Maybe oppo pm 3 or bw p7?

I have always wanted to hear the P7 but it just never happened. I found the PM-3 boring. Out of the two I have tried the SINE would be my favorite.

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #3,056 of 4,785
When you say boring. What does that mean?

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #3,057 of 4,785
When you say boring. What does that mean?

I don't think it is very dynamic and to me was bass lacking. They don't do any thing really wrong, but I didn't find my foot tapping as with other mid cans. Probably too "flat" for me, not engaging. Again that is my opinion and only that. They were popular as hell and I bought them three times because I thought I just HAD to be wrong.

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #3,058 of 4,785
I wonder if they sound and like the etymotic er4?

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #3,059 of 4,785
Yeah the Sines have awesome drum reproduction. Better than any headphones I've ever listened to.

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #3,060 of 4,785
Sure, here you go:

I come from v moda m100 ....

I also have the m100 in family and yes that is an accentuated bass, yet it has a treble edge to offset and does not sound too "U" or "V" shaped...

Anyways so the Sine would have less bass, but the other post observation of less sub bass I believe is very dependent on the pads...

With the VersperAudio pads I have, the bass is rather huge and a bit excessive...

With the Audio Technica pads, the bass is very even and noticeably extended out to the subbass..

I would say the bass is most accurate on the Audio Technica pads,
While the trebles are most even on the Vesperaudio pads, and the stock pad is very mediocre to the other pads...

The Sine with stock pads actually do still sound better than most headphones, but with those two pads mentioned above they elevate the Sine to a very top quality headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back