Audeze SINE Series
Dec 18, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #3,061 of 4,785
Preliminary observations on Vesperaudio pads:

Best bass impact and amount..
Most neutral trebles..
Most neutral flat mids.
Soundstage a bit further away than both stock and Audio Technica pads.

A bit less lively in mids over Audio Technica pads.
Trebles placed a bit further away as well, in line with mids...

I believe these pads could be the best..
They certainly do look the best and also in quality and feel.

The slightly less lively presence in mids is easily attributed to the new pad thickness placing more ear distance from driver..

I have been spoiled by the Audio Technica pads being a bit softer and so collapsing more, placing ear closer to driver..

Vesperaudio pads are lush and full.

I decided to do the HM5 "pad crush" idea, to "break in" the pads overnight...

So we finally have a second solution that is just as good and more of another choice.

It does do what no other pad has addressed fully, which is treble tonality.
:)

Which Vesperaudio pad? There is 3 different versions I think.

Leather+alcantara 2 cm thick(most popular thickness) with"fast foam", not "memory foam"...
This was the least customized version.
They can make practically anything you want.
I decided against angled pads for portability .

Inner dimensions are not as wide as the Audio Technica, which are a bit wider than optimal.
They are instead more deeper.

I have broken them in by compressing them about 48hrs,
So will do more comparisons today..

Currently I'm using M1 pads. I like the sound well enough just not all that comfortable yet more comfortable than stock. Which pad would you recommend for me. I found that m1 took a little of the punch away and that is good with me in fact I think I rather have even more punch taken out. I want bass though. Do any of the pads retain the bass but mininmize the punch while staying comfortable that you have tried?

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #3,062 of 4,785
Thank you vey much @Maxx134 for your detailed answers. I've just received my Sine's and i'm really impressed with their musicality and the visual properties of their sound, they recreate very precisely the scene where the music was sounding. Unfortunately your comparison arrived after me buying impatient the HM5 angled and i must say that more or less i share your impressions. Even though they provide great comfort, something happens with the precision of the soundstage and the immediacy and liveliness of the sound. It also loses some bass impact to my ears, exactly the opposite of what i was looking for.

So, i'd like to ask you about these search for turning over ear the Sine and increasing the bass response at the same time. Reading your comments it looks like the Vesper Audio could be the solution, but this time i need to be sure about it (it's a lot of money for a pair of pads!), so, hoping no to be excessively demanding, i'd love to read your impressions on this specific bass department (vs the original pads and, if it's possible, vs the Hm5), and, if it's not asking too much, it would be also a big help if you could upload any photo of the sine with the Vesper pads to see how big they are...

Whatever you can answer, thank you in advance!

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #3,063 of 4,785
There seems to be a few comments on lack of sub bass on Sines. Try this - use EQ and REDUCE the 125 and 250 Hz bands by 2-3 dB and sub bass should be more clear. I find that the mid and upper bass a little too strong on Sine and it tends to overshadow the sub bass.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #3,064 of 4,785
So, i'd like to ask you about these search for turning over ear the Sine and increasing the bass response at the same time. Reading your comments it looks like the Vesper Audio could be the solution, but this time i need to be sure about it (it's a lot of money for a pair of pads!), .....

and, if it's not asking too much, it would be also a big help if you could upload any photo of the sine with the Vesper pads to see how big they are...

Whatever you can answer, thank you in advance!

The Vesperaudio pads in the configuration I bought is NoT optimall...

PROXIMITY TO EAR IS IMPORTANT TO PLANAR DRIVERS, and this one is no different...

The good and bad:
Bad:
VersperAudio pads inner diameter is a bit too small for me of average ear.

Also the "fast foam" is too stiff

Also the depth of the pad is too deep, so you loose PROXIMITY ,and so the immediacy and liveliness of the sound is proportionately diminished...

This is where the strength of the Audio Technica pads excel in both proximity , energy , spaciousness for over ear.

THE GOOD thing is that Vesperaudio pads are TOTALLY customizable on ordering...

So when ordering I would recommend softer "memory foam" (not "fast foam"), and larger inner diameter opening by just a little more, and less depth as well..
**Edit**
Memory foam is $11 extra over standard price of $59, so equals $70plus shipping...

Also, the Vesperaudio pads have a rather optimal upper range and treble response...
Which tames the Sine extended treble without making it dull.

I have not decided which is optimal for me in long run.
I am leaning towards the Audio Technica pads as they have such a nice wide space inside, giving the bass freedom to be linear and not funneled to your ear which what VersperAudio pads do , and why they have more elevated nice bass..

Bass is good on both it just depends what type bass you prefer.

Yet the pad adapters are absolutely necessary for the Audio technica, and the inserts are also recommended because the pads can compress too much and touch your ear..

For comfort , both are comfortable but different ways.
The Audio Technica pads have a memory foam soft over ear comfort where it seals further away from ear, so your ear feels normal...

The Vesperaudio pads have a snug cuddling cupping feel around your ear and are more noticeable and thick so the headphone stick out a bit more also...
Remember this can be offset by memory foam option,
But the inner diameter is barely Large enough for medium ear, so larger ears will be more cupped and snug..
The leather is quality soft on BOTH.
The Audio Technica pads are softer leather.
The Vesperaudio pads are thicker leather.

Edit I been wearing them both all day as test, one different on each ear, and both doing great job for comfort regardless of size differences...
Remember I have medium ears though.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #3,065 of 4,785
....Currently I'm using M1 pads. I like the sound well enough just not all that comfortable yet more comfortable than stock. Which pad would you recommend for me. I found that m1 took a little of the punch away and that is good with me in fact I think I rather have even more punch taken out. I want bass though. Do any of the pads retain the bass but mininmize the punch while staying comfortable that you have tried?

Which are the M1 pads?
The Audio Technica pads sound to have a very good linear bass..

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #3,066 of 4,785
....Currently I'm using M1 pads. I like the sound well enough just not all that comfortable yet more comfortable than stock. Which pad would you recommend for me. I found that m1 took a little of the punch away and that is good with me in fact I think I rather have even more punch taken out. I want bass though. Do any of the pads retain the bass but mininmize the punch while staying comfortable that you have tried?

Which are the M1 pads?

Sennheiser Momentum 1 sheepskin pads brown. My question is what takes punch out but doesn't take from bass

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3,067 of 4,785
@Maxx134 

those vesper audio pads looks cool , was original sound character altered much once switched to different pads ?

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #3,068 of 4,785
Maxx134, thank you for your observations!

I'd like to comment few things:

Although cavity can be customized, we tried pads on many ears to figure dimensions that fits most ears without too smooth cuddling.

Also the depth of the pad is too deep, so you loose PROXIMITY ,and so the immediacy and liveliness of the sound is proportionately diminished...

I do not know what thickness you ordered, but again. We tested pads on many heads to find the minimal average distance that will let earshell not to contact the driver grill. If your earshells are less angled or less thick you will prodably have a little more free space between the driver. In this case custom thickness is the best choice.

MSR7 pads are no leather as far as I remember. Material is artificial.

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #3,069 of 4,785
Hi guys, been a long time IEM user but recently having increased ETD issues which is getting inflamed by the pressure of ramming CIEMS and Silicone tips in my ear. It's now becoming impossible for me to listen for longer than an hour! Because of this I'm looking for something portable and closed for daily use. The SINE seems like best of bunch right now given my requirements.

I don't have much experience with headphones, I own the Fidelio L2 which is amazing (if a little bright and harsh with some recordings) and have long term experience with the HD600.

Does anyone have experience with CIEM's/IEM's that could say how the SINE compares technically with TOTL IEM's on levels of resolution, refinement and accuracy/delicacy in portraying the space, ambience and finer details within a recording?

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #3,070 of 4,785
  Hi guys, been a long time IEM user but recently having increased ETD issues which is getting inflamed by the pressure of ramming CIEMS and Silicone tips in my ear. It's now becoming impossible for me to listen for longer than an hour! Because of this I'm looking for something portable and closed for daily use. The SINE seems like best of bunch right now given my requirements.

I don't have much experience with headphones, I own the Fidelio L2 which is amazing (if a little bright and harsh with some recordings) and have long term experience with the HD600.

Does anyone have experience with CIEM's/IEM's that could say how the SINE compares technically with TOTL IEM's on levels of resolution, refinement and accuracy/delicacy in portraying the space, ambience and finer details within a recording?

What iem's and ciem's are you accustomed to?

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #3,072 of 4,785

There is also ear drum pressure with Sine unless you change your pads. If your have issues with pressure I would do semi open.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #3,073 of 4,785
Yes, I think these will compliment your tastes. Outstanding clarity, tight bass....people don't talk about them much, but I think the imaging is outstanding.....clamp force might be an issue, and if you have big ears, I would also buy some brainwavz pads to go along....IEMs have a hard time reaching some aspects of cans, but I think you will be happy in comparison with what you listed

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #3,074 of 4,785

Which are the M1 pads?

Sennheiser Momentum 1 sheepskin pads brown. My question is what takes punch out but doesn't take from bass

The pad seal. I think stock pads will be the most punch becof suction like seal.

Maxx134, thank you for your observations!

I'd like to comment few things:

Although cavity can be customized, we tried pads on many ears to figure dimensions that fits most ears without too smooth cuddling.

MSR7 pads are no leather as far as I remember. Material is artificial.

Wow I didn't realize the Audio Technica were not leather!
Lol

Your pads are easily discernable for being a rich leather...

Also, I am on my 5th. Day with the VersperAudio pads and it is now finally settled in nicely,
and have an excellent feel around my ears with no fatigue,
but bigger ears than mine would need custom size.
I still wish I ordered the memory foam.
I will email you , thanks

This is exactly what happened to me with 4yrs constant use IEMs.

I suggest those who love IEMs , to get the custom mold type.

As for sound, your probably used to a very detailed close sound...
So a closed can ia good choice..

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #3,075 of 4,785
There is also ear drum pressure with Sine unless you change your pads. If your have issues with pressure I would do semi open.

Ok, it's taken me a while to get through the earlier posts but I see now what you mean re. the air pressure issue. Seems these may be no better for me unless I get pads that can equalise the pressure! That's a shame. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back