Audeze SINE Series
Dec 21, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #3,076 of 4,785
New pads came in today...
The fake Audio Technica style pads...

And they fit but also sliped off easily ..

So I had to use the Sine adapters from member "inertianinja".

Initial impressions:
Soft pleather feel.
Excellent fit.
Excellent size
Excellent depth
Good trebles
Richest most mids
Good bass

Not sure how good the bass and overall sound yet.
It may be a bit too forward,

Bottom line it is cheapest in price and feel yet giving a very good sound.
Least distant of the bunch..

I am very surprised, because I had dismissed these being too low priced, but the design look, and softness overcome the soft pleather feel.

The Audio Technica do not feel like any pleather, very, very smooth like feel.
While the Vesperaudio feel like a miniature HifiMan focus pad, and obvious leather feel.

:)

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #3,078 of 4,785
  Hi guys, been a long time IEM user but recently having increased ETD issues which is getting inflamed by the pressure of ramming CIEMS and Silicone tips in my ear. It's now becoming impossible for me to listen for longer than an hour! Because of this I'm looking for something portable and closed for daily use. The SINE seems like best of bunch right now given my requirements.

I don't have much experience with headphones, I own the Fidelio L2 which is amazing (if a little bright and harsh with some recordings) and have long term experience with the HD600.

Does anyone have experience with CIEM's/IEM's that could say how the SINE compares technically with TOTL IEM's on levels of resolution, refinement and accuracy/delicacy in portraying the space, ambience and finer details within a recording?

I've compared the Sine's with the Flare R2a (i own both) and i could say that they share a nice percentage of genetic code to my ears. You'll find more body, resolution and detail on the Sine's and a similar timbre/delicacy/musicality as well as the great imaging/position accuracy that i find on the Flares (for me their strongest point). Soundstage is not expansive but creates coherent spaces.  The sibilance i sometimes find on the R2a's here is gone. Both have superb bass and with both i'd love a little bit more quantity of that using them outside. Both are relaxed, smooth and not fatiguing under my point of view. Anyway this is my first week with the Sine's so take my first impressions with prudence. Hope this helps

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #3,079 of 4,785
  There seems to be a few comments on lack of sub bass on Sines. Try this - use EQ and REDUCE the 125 and 250 Hz bands by 2-3 dB and sub bass should be more clear. I find that the mid and upper bass a little too strong on Sine and it tends to overshadow the sub bass.

Thank you @bflat, i'm not using it with cipher cable and my DAP doesn't offer so precise eq, anyway i´ll play with that frequencies to see what i've got (i, by the way, miss a little bit more of "punch" energy on the mid/upper bass, so here we don't share tastes in that department, but i want to see what happens with the subbass following your recommendations, thanks) 

The Vesperaudio pads in the configuration I bought is NoT optimall...

PROXIMITY TO EAR IS IMPORTANT TO PLANAR DRIVERS, and this one is no different...

The good and bad:
Bad:
VersperAudio pads inner diameter is a bit too small for me of average ear.

Also the "fast foam" is too stiff

Also the depth of the pad is too deep, so you loose PROXIMITY ,and so the immediacy and liveliness of the sound is proportionately diminished...

This is where the strength of the Audio Technica pads excel in both proximity , energy , spaciousness for over ear.

THE GOOD thing is that Vesperaudio pads are TOTALLY customizable on ordering...

So when ordering I would recommend softer "memory foam" (not "fast foam"), and larger inner diameter opening by just a little more, and less depth as well..
**Edit**
Memory foam is $11 extra over standard price of $59, so equals $70plus shipping...

Also, the Vesperaudio pads have a rather optimal upper range and treble response...
Which tames the Sine extended treble without making it dull.

I have not decided which is optimal for me in long run.
I am leaning towards the Audio Technica pads as they have such a nice wide space inside, giving the bass freedom to be linear and not funneled to your ear which what VersperAudio pads do , and why they have more elevated nice bass..

Bass is good on both it just depends what type bass you prefer.

Yet the pad adapters are absolutely necessary for the Audio technica, and the inserts are also recommended because the pads can compress too much and touch your ear..

For comfort , both are comfortable but different ways.
The Audio Technica pads have a memory foam soft over ear comfort where it seals further away from ear, so your ear feels normal...

The Vesperaudio pads have a snug cuddling cupping feel around your ear and are more noticeable and thick so the headphone stick out a bit more also...
Remember this can be offset by memory foam option,

Thanks again @Maxx134 .So your recommendation right now would be leather + 1,5 cms thickness of memory foam + large space inside for the ears??

70$ + shipping to Spain for the pads is a lot of money, i'll have to think about it and be sure about the exact pad i need.

One last question, i found my english on the street and sometimes it's a bit lazy with comprehension skills. When you say "I am leaning towards the Audio Technica pads as they have such a nice wide space inside, giving the bass freedom to be linear and not funneled to your ear which what VersperAudio pads do , and why they have more elevated nice bass.." you're saying that the more elevated bass goes for the Audeze's??

Dec 24, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #3,080 of 4,785
Just in time for anyone who got a pair of Sines for Christmas, I've made my own take on the pad adapters. If you've got a 3D printer (some of which are less expensive than the Sine!), they're available as a free download here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1995271

Thanks to inertianinja for the idea and for figuring out that the MSR7 pads as a good match for this. I haven't seen his/her adapters in person, but I've made mine a little different to give a bit better clearance under the hinges at the cost of being a little harder to print. I made the height 6mm, which seemed like a good distance, but if I can make changes if I get feedback. There's two versions, a small that fits the MSR7 and M50x pads and a large one that should fit most larger, rounder pads like those on the Beyer 770/880/990s and Brainwavz HM5s.  I've been using mine for the last few weeks and they work fine. Sound pretty good to my ears, but I'm probably not the most nuanced listener.

If you don't have a 3D printer, https://www.3dhubs.com is quoting me between $7-$9 + shipping for a pair. For materials, under "General purpose plastics," PLA is fine, but ABS or PETG is best. Pricing and availability depends on your locality.

Dec 25, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #3,082 of 4,785
  Just in time for anyone who got a pair of Sines for Christmas, I've made my own take on the pad adapters. If you've got a 3D printer (some of which are less expensive than the Sine!), they're available as a free download here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1995271

Thanks to inertianinja for the idea and for figuring out that the MSR7 pads as a good match for this. I haven't seen his/her adapters in person, but I've made mine a little different to give a bit better clearance under the hinges at the cost of being a little harder to print. I made the height 6mm, which seemed like a good distance, but if I can make changes if I get feedback. There's two versions, a small that fits the MSR7 and M50x pads and a large one that should fit most larger, rounder pads like those on the Beyer 770/880/990s and Brainwavz HM5s.  I've been using mine for the last few weeks and they work fine. Sound pretty good to my ears, but I'm probably not the most nuanced listener.

If you don't have a 3D printer, https://www.3dhubs.com is quoting me between $7-$9 + shipping for a pair. For materials, under "General purpose plastics," PLA is fine, but ABS or PETG is best. Pricing and availability depends on your locality.

Thank you very much for your generous contribution @ASRSPR, that's the collaborative spirit one should expect from this kind of forums.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #3,084 of 4,785
I've compared the Sine's with the Flare R2a (i own both) and i could say that they share a nice percentage of genetic code to my ears. You'll find more body, resolution and detail on the Sine's and a similar timbre/delicacy/musicality as well as the great imaging/position accuracy that i find on the Flares (for me their strongest point). Soundstage is not expansive but creates coherent spaces.  The sibilance i sometimes find on the R2a's here is gone. Both have superb bass and with both i'd love a little bit more quantity of that using them outside. Both are relaxed, smooth and not fatiguing under my point of view. Anyway this is my first week with the Sine's so take my first impressions with prudence. Hope this helps

I have to say I'm surprised to read this. I've always wondered over whether I might have received a faulty set of R2A's because my impresssions are not what's reflected in posted reviews or comparisons.
I find the R2A's to be way too rolled off up top and far more bassy than I like. I paid full price when they came out and regard them as the worst purchase I've ever made.
The sine's on the other hand when used with full size pads are the best bargain, so much so that I actually feel a little guilt every time I put them on.
They beat my R2A's several levels above and in every category.
Again, hoping for everyone else that paid full price for the flares that mine weren't right but there is literally nothing similar to the sine's about them.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #3,085 of 4,785
I have to say I'm surprised to read this. I've always wondered over whether I might have received a faulty set of R2A's because my impresssions are not what's reflected in posted reviews or comparisons.
I find the R2A's to be way too rolled off up top and far more bassy than I like. I paid full price when they came out and regard them as the worst purchase I've ever made.
The sine's on the other hand when used with full size pads are the best bargain, so much so that I actually feel a little guilt every time I put them on.
They beat my R2A's several levels above and in every category.
Again, hoping for everyone else that paid full price for the flares that mine weren't right but there is literally nothing similar to the sine's about them.

I suscribe your perception about the Sine's being clearly superior, they are more precise and detailed in all aspects. But comparing with my iems (some vsonics, rha, trinity audio, phonak and flare), i find the Flares (or at least mine)  the most similar ones in signature to the Sine. Different ears....

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #3,086 of 4,785
I suscribe your perception about the Sine's being clearly superior, they are more precise and detailed in all aspects. But comparing with my iems (some vsonics, rha, trinity audio, phonak and flare), i find the Flares (or at least mine)  the most similar ones in signature to the Sine. Different ears....

Didn't intend to come off challenging in any way. I appreciate your considerate reply. Based on so many positive reviews, i really think I got a defective set of R2A's and i have no easy way to verify it. When I first received them, I didn't like the sound and flare wouldn't let me return it because it was past their return window even though that was due to a long shipping time!
The sine's however, they get used more than my hd800s' or ether c's because they have enough detail to satisfy in such a portable package. They almost make up for what happened with flare! Glad you are enjoying yours!

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #3,088 of 4,785

how heavy are they in grams each side please?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back