Audeze LCD-X
Aug 22, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #8,286 of 12,748
Can anyone comment on upgrading from lcd-2 2016 to lcd-x 2016, ive got a chance to do it but dont want to spend an extra $1k if its a 5% difference. Bass impact is also important to me but neutrality is also

I had the 2015 amd 2016 LCD-2 and currently have the LCD-X 2016 and heard the 2015 LCD-X on several occasions.
I personally don't think the 1k difference is worth it. I also own the LCD-3 F 2015 and LCD-4.

Both of those are clearly superior to the X and the 2s both the 2015 and 2016 models. (Resolution and beautiful mids)

Although the 2016 lcd2 has deeper bass and it slightly more extended than the 2015 model, with long term listening, I and a fellow LCD guy, both preferred the overall sound signature of the 2015 model. Better mids and a bit more lush.

The LCD -X 2016 is clearly superior to the 2015 and earlier model to my ear. I never liked the older models somewhat recessed midrange compared to other models. The 2016 is much improved in this area and that's why it bought them.

To me and after many many hours, days, months of daily listening, I believe the LCD-3f are best bang for buck. I sometimes like them better than the LCD-4. There is something special about them. I have not heard the 2016 LCD-3 though. My friend has and he still prefers the 2015 model for its superior midrange and yum yum effect..

Hope this helped.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #8,287 of 12,748
I had the 2015 amd 2016 LCD-2 and currently have the LCD-X 2015 and heard the 2015 LCD-X on several occasions.

I personally don't think the 1k difference is worth it. I also own the LCD-3 F 2015 and LCD-4.

Both of those are clearly superior to the X and the 2s both the 2015 and 2016 models. (Resolution and beautiful mids)

Although the 2016 lcd2 has deeper bass and it slightly more extended than the 2015 model, with long term listening, I and a fellow LCD guy, both preferred the overall sound signature of the 2015 model. Better mids and a bit more lush.

The LCD -X 2016 is clearly superior to the 2015 and earlier model to my ear. I never liked the older models somewhat recessed midrange compared to other models. The 2016 is much improved in this area and that's why it bought them.

To me and after many many hours, days, months of daily listening, I believe the LCD-3f are best bang for buck. I sometimes like them better than the LCD-4. There is something special about them. I have not heard the 2016 LCD-3 though. My friend has and he still prefers the 2015 model for its superior midrange and yum yum effect..

Hope this helped.

thank for the detailed response much appreciated. I've read others saying it's not even a noticeable difference , others saying it's huge difference, but I guess that all comes down to the versions of lcd2 and lcd-x compared which makes the comparison hard.

I have the lcd-2 aluminium almost thinking it's the same as lcd-x just Silver instead of black, the fr graph is almost identical to lcd-x, the weight is identical to lcd-x when it should be less (they are both aluminium but the lcd-x is meant to have heavier drivers) however an ohms check confirms it's most certainly 60-70ohm driver.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #8,288 of 12,748
thank for the detailed response much appreciated. I've read others saying it's not even a noticeable difference , others saying it's huge difference, but I guess that all comes down to the versions of lcd2 and lcd-x compared which makes the comparison hard.

I have the lcd-2 aluminium almost thinking it's the same as lcd-x just Silver instead of black, the fr graph is almost identical to lcd-x, the weight is identical to lcd-x when it should be less (they are both aluminium but the lcd-x is meant to have heavier drivers) however an ohms check confirms it's most certainly 60-70ohm driver.

YMMV.

I've had 2 pairs of LCD2's (one fazor one pre)  and a 2016 LCD-3F.

Kept my 2014 LCD-X's over all of them. The 3F's were very nice, but I liked the X's better treble extension and in your face sound.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #8,289 of 12,748
After Tyll's raving reviews, has anyone here had experience with the new Ether Flow or the Focal Elear, and how they compare to the LCD-X?
More interested in the Flow because I'm hunting for that planar sound.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #8,290 of 12,748
I had both LCD-2f and LCD-X both from 2016 just a couple months ago.  I'm not an expert and I could definitely tell a big difference.  I really liked the LCD-2f and I don't know what's worth the $$ difference, but after just a few minutes the LCD-X just really made the choice easy for me.  The weight is killer though.

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #8,291 of 12,748
After Tyll's raving reviews, has anyone here had experience with the new Ether Flow or the Focal Elear, and how they compare to the LCD-X?

I have the Elear and X. Elears are more cohesive sounding overall compared to the X's. Both are very dynamic sounding headphones, with the Elears being slightly darker than the X. Subbass and slam is where the X's still dominante. Both do male vocals really well. Elears are far more comfortable (at least out of the box).

I haven't heard the Flows, but I have the regular Ethers. Everything I've read said the bass is much improved on the Flows. If that's the case, they could be quite amazing.

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #8,293 of 12,748
Aug 23, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #8,294 of 12,748

What's funny is that in his last few reviews, he's made a remark about the LCD-X being better than he remembers.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #8,295 of 12,748
The way I see it Audeze, Elear,and the Flow are really great headphones. It all comes to a matter of taste and synergy with the rest of your gear.

I'm saying good bye to my 2013 lcd X and eagerly waiting for its later incarnation. I will miss its very classic dark yummy audeze house sound but I'm excited to move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back