Audeze LCD-X
Aug 23, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #8,296 of 12,748

What's funny is that in his last few reviews, he's made a remark about the LCD-X being better than he remembers.

Yeah, I just looked back on his most recent few, and it seems the X has become his favorite in the LCD lineup.

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #8,297 of 12,748

What's funny is that in his last few reviews, he's made a remark about the LCD-X being better than he remembers.

Yeah, I just looked back on his most recent few, and it seems the X has become his favorite in the LCD lineup.

I got from his WOF post yesterday that the Audezes are removed from the wall.

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #8,299 of 12,748

I got from his WOF post yesterday that the Audezes are removed from the wall.

Yeh I would imagine it would be difficult for him to go back and put them back up on the wall now.

I can't speak for the Ether Flow or the Elear, but the Utopia has indeed significantly raised the bar for headphones. To me, it has taken the best qualities of the HD800 and the LCD-X and somehow married them into one can.

I understand why Tyll states that any can with significant shortcomings, no longer belongs on the wall of fame.

Now I need to go hear the Elear and Flow and see if my impressions further match Tyll's.

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #8,300 of 12,748
Anyone else have the 2016 driver update done on their LCD-Xs? I've never had to deal with burn-in on these cans until now that I got them back from the driver swap. The top end is so muddy now, and the bass impact has been taken down a couple notches. Midrange clarity is better but that's all I'm hearing now, mids and more mids. They only have about 15hrs of play time on them since the new drivers were installed, but this is not cool. Do they need to burn-in longer?

Any changes?

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #8,301 of 12,748
Any changes?

Listening to them right now actually. The highs have definitely opened up with more break-in time. A little grainy still but way less compressed. Bass quantity, slam, and subbass are still very weak. The mids are more detailed than they were before the 2016 driver swap but oh so dry now. Imaging is still better than the old drivers, but that yummy Audeze bass and euphonic midrange is gone. They sound like more of a flat and technical headphone now. I'll be selling them soon.

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #8,302 of 12,748
Listening to them right now actually. The highs have definitely opened up with more break-in time. A little grainy still but way less compressed. Bass quantity, slam, and subbass are still very weak. The mids are more detailed than they were before the 2016 driver swap but oh so dry now. Imaging is still better than the old drivers, but that yummy Audeze bass and euphonic midrange is gone. They sound like more of a flat and technical headphone now. I'll be selling them soon.

:raising_hand:

How is their disappointing bass compare with he6, and the sennheiser lineup?

Aug 24, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #8,303 of 12,748

Quote:

This is quite odd, considering the FR graphs of the 2016 lcd-x compared to older versions, it should have better bass (did they give you a FR graph with the replacement drivers?) I dont own lcd-x yet but ive been researching the hell out of them for weeks and from all info this doesn't sound right at all

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #8,304 of 12,748

Wow, that is unfortunate bud. I received my lcd-2 2016 revision and boy was I impressed, so I was looking into the LCD-X as my final stop. Is it possible you received a defective pair? because I have owned lcd-2s in the past that weren't up to snuff with regards to SQ

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #8,305 of 12,748
Dont give up yet..
It still needs more time to open up.
Did you use the pink noise? It helps

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #8,306 of 12,748
  This is quite odd, considering the FR graphs of the 2016 lcd-x compared to older versions, it should have better bass (did they give you a FR graph with the replacement drivers?) I dont own lcd-x yet but ive been researching the hell out of them for weeks and from all info this doesn't sound right at all

Another member who had a 2016 LCD-X was saying his bass was really light as well. He thougth that the PM3 he owned had more bass. Having owned both, I found this to be quite perplexing and my 2014 X's bass blew the PM3's out of the water.

Aug 24, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #8,307 of 12,748
Another member who had a 2016 LCD-X was saying his bass was really light as well. He thougth that the PM3 he owned had more bass. Having owned both, I found this to be quite perplexing and my 2014 X's bass blew the PM3's out of the water.

I have to believe this is a huge exaggeration. Audeze could not have fouled up the X so bad that the PM3 has superior bass. But, I also will not be gambling on an upgrade of my X.

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #8,309 of 12,748

I know what post you're talking about. He remembered wrong because he looked back at his old review that said the pm-3 was punchier but the bass on the lcd-X was more layered and much deeper.

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #8,310 of 12,748
I know what post you're talking about. He remembered wrong because he looked back at his old review that said the pm-3 was punchier but the bass on the lcd-X was more layered and much deeper.

Ah, okay. That makes more sense. I didn't read his updated post. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back