Audeze LCD-X
Aug 19, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #8,266 of 12,748
If anyone wants to fire sale an LCD-XC to jump on the Focal train, I'm your man

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #8,267 of 12,748
I have the Elear and the X and I'm very fond of both of them. Not sure if could part with either. X still has that amazing "in your face" feel while still retaining fairly balanced. Not a lot of headphones can pull that off.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but love for the sound and musical engagement I get from the LCDX. my "migration" to either the Focal or Ether Flow is purely based on two factors:-

1) it's weight is not conducive for extended sessions.
2) the (perhaps over represented) fear over their reliability, as someone who values durability as much as sonics, I feel myself anticipating driver failure every time I put them on...

I acknowledge it is more my personal issue than anything.

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #8,268 of 12,748
Anyone with the 2016 lcdx having sibilance? i had the "old" ones and had to send them for an rma and the 2016 seem to accentuate the s more. I'm pretty sensitive to this and was why I loved the x because it never ever had sibilance. They also seem to have more bass but i'll chalk that to memory/getting back into them from my hd598.

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #8,269 of 12,748
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but love for the sound and musical engagement I get from the LCDX. my "migration" to either the Focal or Ether Flow is purely based on two factors:-

1) it's weight is not conducive for extended sessions.
2) the (perhaps over represented) fear over their reliability, as someone who values durability as much as sonics, I feel myself anticipating driver failure every time I put them on...

I acknowledge it is more my personal issue than anything.

If comfort is what you seek with a similar sound of the X's, I think the Flows will be perfect for you. I've not heard the Flows, but I have the regular Ether and it's ridiculously comfy. Plus from what I hear the added bass makes them sound fantastic.

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #8,270 of 12,748
Yeah, it's a ticking time bomb and it is my turn. I guess we'll see what happen 

On the other hand, the Flow does sound amazing, I wouldn't mind to switch. But I think LCD X still has the slam, beef and potatoes.
Get both if you can as they compliment to each other  
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #8,271 of 12,748
Yeah, it's a ticking time bomb and it is my turn. I guess we'll see what happen 

On the other hand, the Flow does sound amazing, I wouldn't mind to switch. But I think LCD X still has the slam, beef and potatoes.
Get both if you can as they compliment to each other  :D

totally get what you are saying. like I said, were it not for the self destruct button, it is still my favourite cans sonically as it gets closest to the "scale" of a good pair speakers than any other headphones I have auditioned so far.

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #8,273 of 12,748
Just curious, how many on this thread are current owners of LCDX circa 2014 ?

and how many of you had/have reliability issues with yours?

I just mine (mfg March 2014) as NOS just a few months ago.

thanks

Mine are 2014 mfg and knock on wood, mine haven't had any problems. At meets, several people have preferred my LCD-X's signature as opposed to others at the meet. Although, I haven't tried to compare mine with other Xs.

I have no intention of "upgrading" to the new drivers.

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #8,274 of 12,748
Having experience with the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless, will say that people love to piss and moan and nitpick to fancy themselves as part of some horrible issue.

There could be 4 failures out of 100,000 units sold and if those 4 check in here, there's a conspiracy.

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #8,275 of 12,748
From what I've heard the X's have a lot better track record than say the LCD-3's, which had lot of driver issues.

Also I have a 2014 X and it's still kicking ass.

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #8,276 of 12,748
  From what I've heard the X's have a lot better track record than say the LCD-3's, which had lot of driver issues.

Also I have a 2014 X and it's still kicking ass.

My X was a 04/2015 purchase with no problems.  I have read this entire thread front to back and only recall 3 or 4 problems.  The LCD-3 is a whole different thing and probably responsible for Audeze's reputation for unreliability.

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #8,277 of 12,748
Just curious, how many on this thread are current owners of LCDX circa 2014 ?

and how many of you had/have reliability issues with yours?

I got mine (mfg March 2014) as NOS just a few months ago.

thanks

1 year old lcd-x recently had the right driver fail.

Both drivers were replaced extremely quickly... and it sounds better than ever (mids are a bit more forward, less recessed. Sounds more coherent across the bass and mids, treble is still a bit rolled off, though i am very happy with the sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back