Audeze LCD-X
Aug 17, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #8,251 of 12,748
Today I had 1 hour to listen to lcd x and hd800s.

Both are great st headphones,.
I used them from my chord mojo. It was capable of powering them just fine, I'm sure there are plenty better pairings, but it was fine

LCD X

nice solid build, screams quality, and it better at that price. Heavy... Can't look down, you better not dance.

Bass was great, (compared to jh 16, or se846 it was lacking detail)
Mids were good highs were fine.

Non engaging tone, couldn't exite me really. Comfort was good if stayed still and looked forward. Not really eslly impressed, just not at that price.

Coming from se846 (which I'm thinking I'll have to get again the r bass, the detail, the clarity the resolution and fun just is better then these full sized hps)

Hd800.

Nice imaginng , surprised me way more then this Soundstage I keep hearing about. Imaging was orgasmic. Clarity was also present even tho I feel se846 was far better in clarity and bass of course. Bass wasn't horrible, but slam was lacked. The highs were amazing, mild sharpness on certain recordings but that's understandable due to the details this thing can come up with.

Each good headphone, but leavese wishing for se846.

Both models dominated he 400i but that's not a fair comparison

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #8,252 of 12,748
Today I had 1 hour to listen to lcd x and hd800s.

Both are great st headphones,.
I used them from my chord mojo. It was capable of powering them just fine, I'm sure there are plenty better pairings, but it was fine

LCD X

nice solid build, screams quality, and it better at that price. Heavy... Can't look down, you better not dance.

Bass was great, (compared to jh 16, or se846 it was lacking detail)
Mids were good highs were fine.

Non engaging tone, couldn't exite me really. Comfort was good if stayed still and looked forward. Not really eslly impressed, just not at that price.

Coming from se846 (which I'm thinking I'll have to get again the r bass, the detail, the clarity the resolution and fun just is better then these full sized hps)

Hd800.

Nice imaginng , surprised me way more then this Soundstage I keep hearing about. Imaging was orgasmic. Clarity was also present even tho I feel se846 was far better in clarity and bass of course. Bass wasn't horrible, but slam was lacked. The highs were amazing, mild sharpness on certain recordings but that's understandable due to the details this thing can come up with.

Each good headphone, but leavese wishing for se846.

Both models dominated he 400i but that's not a fair comparison

Funny, I found bass in my 846s somewhat disappointing.  I like them but prefer my angies, which to me, complement my LCD-Xs.  Not saying identicle sound, but similar to me.

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #8,253 of 12,748
Anything auditioned after an hour will leaving you longing for what you already have.

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #8,255 of 12,748
Why you say that?

Assuming you're comparing similar quality, a lot of what we consider "break in" is our brains getting familiar with a new sound signature. If somethings markedly different, you're going to likely prefer what you already like vs. something different, at least for the first bit.

Comparing a 4-driver balanced armature IEM to an open dynamic and open planar is quite the undertaking.

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #8,256 of 12,748
Assuming you're comparing similar quality, a lot of what we consider "break in" is our brains getting familiar with a new sound signature. If somethings markedly different, you're going to likely prefer what you already like vs. something different, at least for the first bit.

Comparing a 4-driver balanced armature IEM to an open dynamic and open planar is quite the undertaking.

I agree what you mean undertaking.?

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #8,257 of 12,748
Lots of work! :)

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #8,258 of 12,748

So are you suggesting longer listening sessions to get used to them, and then we will prefer the sound. Of course until we get bored of them. Just got used from a friend that never really got into them. He gave me a good price. Can't wait to get home and have them a spin.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #8,261 of 12,748
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm joining 2016 upgrade ..

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #8,265 of 12,748
Focal Elear most likely, but might give Ether Flow a go....

it's like living with a ticking time bomb to be honest

I have the Elear and the X and I'm very fond of both of them. Not sure if could part with either. X still has that amazing "in your face" feel while still retaining fairly balanced. Not a lot of headphones can pull that off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back