Audeze LCD-X
Aug 24, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #8,312 of 12,748
Although personally I don't know how anyone forgets the impact of lcd-X's bass. It's pretty memorable, especially on tracks that call for that deep low rumbly frequencies like Hans Zimmer scores.

No doubt. One of the big reasons I still own mine! 

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #8,313 of 12,748
  This is quite odd, considering the FR graphs of the 2016 lcd-x compared to older versions, it should have better bass (did they give you a FR graph with the replacement drivers?) I dont own lcd-x yet but ive been researching the hell out of them for weeks and from all info this doesn't sound right at all

One would think. No they didn't provide me with a FR graph. I'm just going off what I remember hearing on my familiar bassy test tracks. I'm using a WA-22 so it's not a question of driving power, but these new 2016 drivers have definitely lost that LCD-X bass impact and soulful midrange without a doubt. 
:raising_hand:

How is their disappointing bass compare with he6, and the sennheiser lineup?

My LCD-Xs bass are now more in line with an HD800S. I haven't heard HE6, but they're a lot weaker in the bass than before the driver swap. No fun.

Dont give up yet..
It still needs more time to open up.
Did you use the pink noise? It helps

You think? I just let them play my whole iTunes library on random while I go to school 8hrs a day. Either way, it's been about 30hrs of break-in and while the highs have opened up considerably, the bass still sucks.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #8,314 of 12,748
One would think. No they didn't provide me with a FR graph. I'm just going off what I remember hearing on my familiar bassy test tracks. I'm using a WA-22 so it's not a question of driving power, but these new 2016 drivers have definitely lost that LCD-X bass impact and soulful midrange without a doubt. 
My LCD-Xs bass are now more in line with an HD800S. I haven't heard HE6, but they're a lot weaker in the bass than before the driver swap. No fun.

You think? I just let them play my whole iTunes library on random while I go to school 8hrs a day. Either way, it's been about 30hrs of break-in and while the highs have opened up considerably, the bass still sucks.

Mine are 2016 version and although my ears aren't all that fine tuned, I have tried out the LCD-2f, hd800s, zmf omni, and Stax 3100, and the Lcd-X definitely goes lower and harder than any of them. Not even close. I will say though that it doesn't feel thick and muddy into the mid frequencies which is why I really like the sound, and really only reveals the bass when the track calls for it.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #8,315 of 12,748
Does anyone here like the LCD-X better than the LCD-3F?

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #8,316 of 12,748

burn in will do nothing for Bass and audeze pre burn in drivers. My 2016 lcd-2 i got last week the burn in process was removing from the box and plugging them in and the Bass was slamming. You tested out the bass using that headphone Bass quality test file from that site? That's what I used to finally understand how audeze headphone dominate in the reproduction of Bass compared to standard driver headphones . If they sound ***** with that I'd contact audeze asap

The quality test is on here. With LCDs you should be able to have subwoofer level Bass from the very start of this with no rattling or distortion
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #8,317 of 12,748
burn in will do nothing for Bass and audeze pre burn in drivers. My 2016 lcd-2 i got last week the burn in process was removing from the box and plugging them in and the Bass was slamming. You tested out the bass using that headphone Bass quality test file from that site? That's what I used to finally understand how audeze headphone dominate in the reproduction of Bass compared to standard driver headphones . If they sound ***** with that I'd contact audeze asap

The quality test is on here. With LCDs you should be able to have subwoofer level Bass from the very start of this with no rattling or distortion
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Exactly. And since the bass ain't slamming like it used to with the old drivers, I gotta sell em and try to get an older model back or go LCD-3.

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #8,318 of 12,748
Does anyone here like the LCD-X better than the LCD-3F?

Me! I had a pair of 2016 3F's and kept the X's. Don't get me wrong, I liked the 3f's a lot. More laid back signature, wider soundstage, better imaging and the bass was tighter. I'd say it's all in what you're looking for most in a headphone. If you wanted say, just one higher end headphone, the 3f might be a good choice. For me though, I'd rather have the more visceral in-your-face LCD-X and use another headphone(s) to compliment it.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #8,319 of 12,748
My LCDX has the 2015 drivers.  I use it a lot for movies.  I have a multichannel speaker emulation program called OOYH which I'm sure a lot of people are familiar with here.

Using something like Netflix desktop which outputs 5.1 channel Dolby True HD, and taking it to OOYH and then using a speaker emulation like Focal or Magico Q7, and then using a a tactile subwoofer like the Subpac S2, LCD X's create something that sound an awful lot like a really good movie theatre or a super premium home theatre.

It helps that the X's really punch like a great subwoofer.  When you add in the tactile effect of the Subpac,  well yeah.

Also like that they seem extremely reliable.  Hear about the 3's going back to Audeze for driver failure all the time.  Never hear to much of that about the X's.

Also like that there's no wood to polish, and that they play very well with cheaper equipment.  Saw the Z review and he really liked them with the Mica Oregen which is about a $125 Amp/Dac.

When I want to do quality 2 channel, the X shares the duties with my SD Modded Senn HD 800's.  For both of those units I also use OOYH and perhaps even more importantly I use Sonarworks EQ.  The LCD's were sent to Riga Latvia for the custom curve and the Senns use the off the shelf flat bass correction curve.  That curve does a nice job of handline the 8k resonance on the X's.

Ultimately, I'm less concerned these days with how a component is voiced because I feel that with the right kind of DSP provided the faults are not major and pervasive (eg  Beats), can be corrected in a quality component that's low distortion and has good power handling characteristics.

I also use Dirac Live to correct my 2 channel speaker based system which is built around Kef LS 50's. 

Anyway, I think anyone who wants a quality headphone they can use for years, I personally don't see how you can go wrong picking up a pair of the X's.

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #8,320 of 12,748
Hi LCD-X fans,

I am a lover of the LCD-X sound.  I own two pair - 2003 and 2005.  They sound the same to me.  But, my reason for posting is not about driver differences, it's about comfort.

We all know that the LCD-X, and the other Audez'e LCD-series cans, are heavy and not very stable on your head.  They can be tiring and a bit annoying on long listening sessions.  Well, you can fix that problem by upgrading to the carbon-fiber headband.  As soon as the new headband was announced, I pounced and now have the carbon-fiber headband on both pair of my LCD-X.  Believe me, it's a significant improvement.  The cans are no longer uncomfortable at all.  The weight is better distributed; the cans almost feel like they aren't on my head at all.  They are much more stable, so I can now move my head around (bop, dance, slam, headbang, and etc.) without the drivers moving on my ears.  This was a great upgrade to the LCD-X, and I recommend it for y'all.

FWIW and IMHO as always, I hope this helps you.

All the best,
RCBinTN

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #8,321 of 12,748
  Hi LCD-X fans,

I am a lover of the LCD-X sound.  I own two pair - 2003 and 2005.  They sound the same to me.  But, my reason for posting is not about driver differences, it's about comfort.

We all know that the LCD-X, and the other Audez'e LCD-series cans, are heavy and not very stable on your head.  They can be tiring and a bit annoying on long listening sessions.  Well, you can fix that problem by upgrading to the carbon-fiber headband.  As soon as the new headband was announced, I pounced and now have the carbon-fiber headband on both pair of my LCD-X.  Believe me, it's a significant improvement.  The cans are no longer uncomfortable at all.  The weight is better distributed; the cans almost feel like they aren't on my head at all.  They are much more stable, so I can now move my head around (bop, dance, slam, headbang, and etc.) without the drivers moving on my ears.  This was a great upgrade to the LCD-X, and I recommend it for y'all.

FWIW and IMHO as always, I hope this helps you.

All the best,
RCBinTN

Hi there @RCBinTN! Sounds like you're still enjoying the X. I couldn't agree more regarding the new headband. I tried it at a meet soon after it came out with the LCD-4 and I too pounced. Makes a world of a difference.

Anyway, I think you meant 2013 and 2015 models right?

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #8,322 of 12,748
  Hi there @RCBinTN! Sounds like you're still enjoying the X. I couldn't agree more regarding the new headband. I tried it at a meet soon after it came out with the LCD-4 and I too pounced. Makes a world of a difference.

Why doesn't the carbon fiber headband come leather free?

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #8,323 of 12,748

Why doesn't the carbon fiber headband come leather free?

I have no insight into Audeze's plans, but I would guess there aren't enough requests to make it leather free?

If you're adventurous enough, I just took a look at the fasteners for the leather portion of the headband and the leather is held on to the side posts by four screws on each side. It looks like you could unscrew it and replace the leather with a material of your choice. You could even use the leather as a stencil to get the correct size and shape.

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #8,324 of 12,748
I'd be all over a headband change but $200 ***

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #8,325 of 12,748

Yes, I sure did.  Thanks @TimeLord for catching my mistake!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back