Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #12,436 of 18,459

I had changes to try pads rolling with my Ms-pro headphone. I had rolled between original pads and Grado jumbo pads. It’s had different size and texture. The big one gave large soundstage and good quality of bass than small one. But in the same material and design like LCD-2, I think it will not so different.

I also wait for my cans too. Thank for all comment. It make my wallet feel sad.

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #12,437 of 18,459

Quote:
What is the nature of your source's volume control?  Is it digital or analog?

Internally digital, its an Oppo BDP-95, it doesn't have a knob, the output is still in analog. I actually made 4 mods, I ditched the Radio Shack wire wound resistors for Mills non-inductive resistors, I also put in a better pair of female RCAs, then changed the internal wires for 24awg 99.99% silver wires, and last chucked the crappy vol pot.

Improvements? Bass is tighter, background instruments are more discernible now than before. These mods are relatively easy to do, parts wise cost less than $30.

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #12,438 of 18,459
I also have an early pair of LCD-2 and a very recent pair. I hear no appreciable difference between them, although I do find the newer ones slightly more comfortable to wear.

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #12,439 of 18,459

Quote:
I also have an early pair of LCD-2 and a very recent pair. I hear no appreciable difference between them, although I do find the newer ones slightly more comfortable to wear.

(In Michael Duncan's voice) The word of Skylab is law.

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #12,440 of 18,459

Quote:

My pair does not clamp tightly, in fact I sometimes feel it might fall from my bald head. i don't think my head is small or anything but my wife often calls me a pinhead so I'm not sure what the cause really is.

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #12,441 of 18,459

Quote:

Internally digital, its an Oppo BDP-95, it doesn't have a knob, the output is still in analog. I actually made 4 mods, I ditched the Radio Shack wire wound resistors for Mills non-inductive resistors, I also put in a better pair of female RCAs, then changed the internal wires for 24awg 99.99% silver wires, and last chucked the crappy vol pot.

Improvements? Bass is tighter, background instruments are more discernible now than before. These mods are relatively easy to do, parts wise cost less than $30.

Congrats on your improvements!  When the volume is adjusted, do you know the method that is used to attenuate the output?  Does Oppo shift word and throw away MSB, or what? 

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #12,442 of 18,459

Quote:
My pair does not clamp tightly, in fact I sometimes feel it might fall from my bald head. i don't think my head is small or anything but my wife often calls me a pinhead so I'm not sure what the cause really is.

Sounds like a job for rubber cement.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #12,444 of 18,459
Feeding the LCD-2 with the Sansui AU-717 + CD player.  The combo is pretty awesome.  Rich, full sound, LCD-2 loves the power, of which I'm only about 1/10th the total turns on the volume knob, so mucho power to spare.  Man, I really like my computer set-up W4S DAC-2 + Lyr but I could have been happy with just vintage rig + decent CD player + good headphones.  Where we begin in this sound journey depends on which threads you read first.  
Time for some sake.  
beerchug.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #12,445 of 18,459

Quote:
Congrats on your improvements!  When the volume is adjusted, do you know the method that is used to attenuate the output?  Does Oppo shift word and throw away MSB, or what? 

Thanks as well for your Mills resistor suggestion. I'm not sure what algorithm they use to perform their digital volume control but from what I understand its very well implemented.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #12,446 of 18,459

Anour Brahem is also one of my favourites, and the trio makes such sublime pieces of music.
Quote:
If you enjoy Persian jazz, you might also enjoy one of my favorites, Anoauar Brahem (he's Moroccan).  I enjoy Axiom.. too so I'm betting you'd like Brahem based on that.  He's on the excellent ECM label that Gustavsen and Stanko and Gabarek are on.  You pretty much can't go wrong with most of the stuff on ECM.  Here's a few personal recommendations (for all I know you may be familiar with all of these, but for others who enjoy world-jazz on their LCD-2's definitely check out the stuff on the ECM label):

Beautiful, sparse and hypnotic...

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #12,447 of 18,459
There is definitely a difference in clamping, the first pair I had were too tight and I would have bent them out if I had held on to them. I never had both pairs at the same time so my sound comparison is from memory. Perhaps it is just on the full moons that the HFs come out more 
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #12,448 of 18,459

Quote:
There is definitely a difference in clamping, the first pair I had were too tight and I would have bent them out if I had held on to them. I never had both pairs at the same time so my sound comparison is from memory. Perhaps it is just on the full moons that the HFs come out more 
wink.gif

It would come out on eclipses too, if you had better cables.

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #12,449 of 18,459

Quote:
Feeding the LCD-2 with the Sansui AU-717 + CD player.  The combo is pretty awesome.  Rich, full sound, LCD-2 loves the power, of which I'm only about 1/10th the total turns on the volume knob, so mucho power to spare.  Man, I really like my computer set-up W4S DAC-2 + Lyr but I could have been happy with just vintage rig + decent CD player + good headphones.  Where we begin in this sound journey depends on which threads you read first.  
Time for some sake.  
beerchug.gif

Funny to read this.  I picked up a Marantz 2215B at a yard sale recently for $5 and was amazed by the headphone output of the unit.  I'm actually listening to it now using my DAC-2 as a source.   Then I found this thread here  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners/1425

Now I have the bug for vintage gear and I'm mulling over a Yamaha CR-820 for sale a few towns over from me.

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #12,450 of 18,459

That Yamaha looks fantastic.  Luckily or unluckily I live in an apartment, there's only so much equipment I can throw in here, otherwise I'd want a vintage receiver to go with my Sansui.

What's going to happen when your V200 headphone amp arrives?  I recall you wanted that to drive your LCD-2 but seems like you and I are loving the power of vintage amps to drive our cans.

Quote:
Funny to read this.  I picked up a Marantz 2215B at a yard sale recently for $5 and was amazed by the headphone output of the unit.  I'm actually listening to it now using my DAC-2 as a source.   Then I found this thread here  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners/1425

Now I have the bug for vintage gear and I'm mulling over a Yamaha CR-820 for sale a few towns over from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back