Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 4, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #12,423 of 18,459
Yes, it is.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #12,426 of 18,459

Quote:
My source has a volume control. I just did the mod, I removed the volume control from my amp and soldered the input directly to the pcb where the output of the vol control used to be soldered.

What is the nature of your source's volume control?  Is it digital or analog?

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #12,427 of 18,459
Jun 4, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #12,429 of 18,459
I don't think the pads change the frequency response in any small or significant manner.  I've played around with moving the drivers from my ears in slight ways and I have not noticed any change.  Whereas when I tried my daughters Grado 80is last night any slight change in position over the ear makes a difference.  I don't know how one knows your getting the right response with those Grados.  

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #12,430 of 18,459

Quote:
I think there are differences between the graphs.

With a sample size of one.  
rolleyes.gif
  They sound different on full moons too.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #12,431 of 18,459
Make that two. I have owned both an early pair and a more recent set and the highs are more prominent in the later version; I think the angle of the pads has increased slightly and therefore the HFs are sent a little more directly into the ear canal. This makes sense to me because the HFs are sine waves and are more directional, not pulse waves like the LFs.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #12,432 of 18,459

Quote:
Make that two. I have owned both an early pair and a more recent set and the highs are more prominent in the later version; I think the angle of the pads has increased slightly and therefore the HFs are sent a little more directly into the ear canal. This makes sense to me because the HFs are sine waves and are more directional, not pulse waves like the LFs.

I have both original and recent new and there is no principal difference for mine, except, of course, during full moons. 
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #12,434 of 18,459
If you enjoy Persian jazz, you might also enjoy one of my favorites, Anoauar Brahem (he's Moroccan).  I enjoy Axiom.. too so I'm betting you'd like Brahem based on that.  He's on the excellent ECM label that Gustavsen and Stanko and Gabarek are on.  You pretty much can't go wrong with most of the stuff on ECM.  Here's a few personal recommendations (for all I know you may be familiar with all of these, but for others who enjoy world-jazz on their LCD-2's definitely check out the stuff on the ECM label):

Beautiful, sparse and hypnotic...

Expansive soundstage exemplary of ECM's typical excellence in recording engineering.  A conventional trio (stand-up bass, drums and piano) playing rather unconventional modern jazz where single notes are laid bare on an empty canvas. Amazon reviews kind of pin this one down.

Dark and moody...

Morel Brahem in colaboration with another the Norwegian sax player...Brahem does some wonderful fusion.

Quote:
Yeah, also lots of good suggestions on the "What you are listening now thread".  Then we also have jazz across the world.  One of my favs, Axiom of Choice, persian jazz.  Gonna be a fun weekend re-experiencing music on the LCD-2s.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #12,435 of 18,459
Thanks Jax for the recommendations, I will check them out, I've been itching for some new music to new to flow thru the LCD-2, which is impressing me more and more over each day.  It's a different sound than the Hifiman series, which also does very well with jazz.   

Quote:
If you enjoy Persian jazz, you might also enjoy one of my favorites, Anoauar Brahem (he's Moroccan).  I enjoy Axiom.. too so I'm betting you'd like Brahem based on that.  He's on the excellent ECM label that Gustavsen and Stanko and Gabarek are on.  You pretty much can't go wrong with most of the stuff on ECM.  Here's a few personal recommendations (for all I know you may be familiar with all of these, but for others who enjoy world-jazz on their LCD-2's definitely check out the stuff on the ECM label):

Beautiful, sparse and hypnotic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back