Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 1, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #12,361 of 18,459

Quote:
I don't think we're communicating too well.  Please excuse my ignorance, but how are you going to control the volume of your system?

I am confused. The volume control will be to hold the headphones further from the ears?

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #12,362 of 18,459
Hey guys.
Have you seen the latest update from Audeze? It address the Driver issue very clearly and shows the numerous steps they have taken to eliminate it happening again including an even more vigorous QC and testing regime including something rather wonderful I think, Extended burn in with pink noise! Not only do we get thoroughly tested headphones but ones pre burned in!

Here is the link to the update, interesting reading.

http://www.audeze.com/2011/05/update/

Hat's off to Alex and Sankar's openess and proactive approach. I think a certain Florida company could learn a thing or three from them :wink:

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #12,365 of 18,459
If you really want to use the digital volume in the source, leave the volume pot in the amp but turn it up to maximum. Same effect but that will give a load of 100k rather than the 1M of the valve input, which I think will probably help with noise. And you don't need a decoupling capacitor on the input unless there is a DC offset on the output of your digital source. It's unlikely but you could use a multimeter to measure DC volts on the 2V or 200mV scale, you want a few mV or ideally zero.

[This relates to a running query about the valve amp on page 824!]

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #12,366 of 18,459
I have plugged my LCD-2 into my PC's basic sound card and it worked, seems fine. An iPod will power LCD-2's to reasonable levels if that helps?  Sorry I can't compare to D7000.

Quote:
I have a sound card (Xonar HDAV1.3) and no Amp. I used to have the D7000 which the sound card drove wonderfully, how easy is the LCD 2 drive?

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #12,367 of 18,459
     Quote:
Have you seen the latest update from Audeze?

Yep.
wink.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos/12270#post_7506630

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #12,368 of 18,459

Quote:
If you really want to use the digital volume in the source, leave the volume pot in the amp but turn it up to maximum. Same effect but that will give a load of 100k rather than the 1M of the valve input, which I think will probably help with noise. And you don't need a decoupling capacitor on the input unless there is a DC offset on the output of your digital source. It's unlikely but you could use a multimeter to measure DC volts on the 2V or 200mV scale, you want a few mV or ideally zero.

[This relates to a running query about the valve amp on page 824!]

Yeah, that works fine if you don't mind throwing away several bits of your digital word length, i.e. hammering your dynamic range and signal to noise ratio.

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #12,369 of 18,459
     Quote:

Yep.
wink.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos/12270#post_7506630

Oh shoot, I am always behind the times! :confused_face_2:

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #12,371 of 18,459

Quote:
I agree with you KWKARTH, and a DAC output into an unbalanced cable into a 1M input won't improve things.

In a typical home environment with a typical 1 meter interconnect, that's the least of worries.

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #12,372 of 18,459
I hate to bust in on this thread but I'm not sure where else to ask for a recommendation. Right now I have a pair of 650s with a KICAS amp with Pure i-20 as a source (lossless files). I'm not happy with the sound, but I know that the 650s can sound better with better amp/source, so I'm going to sell my fancy digital camera to fund a better amp (~$1000 range), thinking this would give me the sound I am looking for.

But then I realized that people on here often say that it's better to upgrade phones first, then amp, source, cables, etc. ... so my question is this: how would the 650s with a $1000 amp compare to LCDs with a roughly $500 amp in terms of sound quality? If I sell my camera, it will be just enough for the LCDs. Then I can sell my KICAS amp (actually, it's for sale right now!), 650s, and scrounge up a few hundred extra for an amp.

How would the LCDs compare to the 650s? I love the 650s from my stereo receiver, but I want a DESKTOP system, and the KICAS is just too weak. Are the LCDs a true step up, or are the just different? Are the LCDs more forgiving of a lesser quality amp than the 650s? I'm looking at the Lyr and it seems like a good deal, and with the possibility of further tube upgrades.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

btw, the LCD sound sig sounds perfect for me from what I've read. They almost seem like an upgraded 650, with better detail, speed, midrange, and clarity, with similar full body and bass. Also, I LOOOOVE the looks of the LCDs. This is why I'm considering them.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #12,373 of 18,459
The HD 650s are great cans but they're nowhere near the LCD-2s in terms of accurate reproduction of music. Not saying that you won't be happy with the HD 650s properly driven (I was), but the LCD-2s even with a $500 amp will easily trump them.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #12,374 of 18,459
@Franklyshankly, I sold my HD650s not long ago, and I felt that the LCD-2 was a much better can.  The LCD-2 IMO sounds very good with the Lyr for around $500 and if you look for the right pair of tubes you can really make that combo sing, just my opinion.  I however do not own the Lyr and can only go based on what I have heard out of my friend's Lyr.  The real question is what do you find the HD-650s lack?

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #12,375 of 18,459
Permagrin: thanks for the feedback! This is just what I was hoping to hear, LOL

Wedge: the 650s out of my Rotel receiver sound very good, nice and rich, smooth (maybe a *bit* too smooth for my taste, but hard to fault too much for that) ... I honestly don't have much to complain about with this setup other than the fact that it's not on my desk. Out of my KICAS amp there is nothing to like. Sound is small, thin, weak, worse than $70 earbuds ... I think this might have something to do with the synergy between the Pure DAC and the KICAS, because when I try the KICAS with a different source (blu ray player) I get better volume and improved body, but the bass is lacking, and the overall sound is just really bland.

I figured if I'm going to have to spend $1000 to make the 650s sound good, I might as well at least look at other headphone options since that is significant money. I actually love the 650 signature, I like the slight warm, full bodied, and bass-y sound a lot. I felt like the 650s are pretty detailed while also being smooth, and overall I feel like these cans are good for music appreciation (opposed to reproduction analysis). But I wouldn't mind more detail, and since I'm pretty much ALL about mids, the LCD sounds appealing for those reasons. If i can get more improvement for the money getting new cans instead of new amp, I'd rather go the LCD route, and then when I have enough money to save up for a $3000 amp (in like 10 years!) then I'll have phones that deserve it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back