Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 31, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #12,331 of 18,459
May 31, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #12,332 of 18,459

Quote:
I was just saying your comment as using a 100 Ohm resistor in series is not the best way to make an adaptor was a little soft.  Since that would make a 150 Ohm load on a 16 Ohm output which, at speaker level power would put a larger strain on the output transformers (translation more heat).  If they weren't designed to handle the heat than you would ultimately hurt the transformer, which would lead me to say BAD IDEA as opposed to your saying not the best idea, hence too soft.  
wink_face.gif
  In one of my previous post I had also recommended that the person should use a 20 Ohm Resistor in Parallel (or Shunt as you have said), ideally to get a better match to the tap, the result would be that most of the power would dissipate through the resistor.

Thanks, that's what I thought you were saying, but wasn't sure.

May 31, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #12,333 of 18,459
Quote:
Thanks, that's what I thought you were saying, but wasn't sure.

So very soon, and we'll be hopefully entering some new horizons for you and your Lyr with the LCD-2.  At least I hope.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 31, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #12,334 of 18,459
I have had my LCD-2s for nearly a month after a recommendation from a friend here, I must say that I really look forward to listening to my music collection, be it from my Mac Book Pro through a Fiio E7/E9 combination or from my iPod classic through Just Audio uHA-120. I find it difficult describing sound so I will just say that the quality of it coming through these headphones and modest systems just blows me away. 

May 31, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #12,335 of 18,459
Woohoo, just got notice my LCD-2 will be here in a couple days.  Now I need to read all 823 pages of this thread in the next 2 days.  Anybody got the Cliffnotes?  Got lots of tubes for Lyr.  Can't wait to see how it compares to my HE-4, which I like a lot.

May 31, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #12,336 of 18,459

Quote:
Your illustration above is the wrong way to do things.

As would any illustration be that is not of the right way to do things. Anyways thanks for clearing that up 
rolleyes.gif

May 31, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #12,338 of 18,459

Quote:
Can you clarify please?  There are multiple factors to consider when using an adaptor for speaker terminals.  

Amplifier loading
Headphone Damping
Optimizing the impedance match for both source and sink simultaneously.

1. In a tube based, transformer coupled amp, too little of a load on the transformer is not good for the transformer.
  2. Any reactive components in a circuit, tube or solid state, have their values optimized provide optimum frequency response with a particular load in mind.  Too little or too much of a load will potentially alter optimum response characteristics of frequency and distortion.  Therefore, as stated earlier, proper values must be used to present the optimum load to the amp, and optimum damping to the driver simultaneously.  That is why nominally 20 ohm shunts were recommended for the 50 ohm LCD-2 when being connected to a 16 ohm tap on an amplifier output.

Nominally, a 10 ohm resistor shunt should be used for loading an 8 ohm tap for the amp when used to drive the 50 ohm LCD-2.

Quote:
I was just saying your comment as using a 100 Ohm resistor in series is not the best way to make an adaptor was a little soft.  Since that would make a 150 Ohm load on a 16 Ohm output which, at speaker level power would put a larger strain on the output transformers (translation more heat).  If they weren't designed to handle the heat than you would ultimately hurt the transformer, which would lead me to say BAD IDEA as opposed to your saying not the best idea, hence too soft.  
wink_face.gif
  In one of my previous post I had also recommended that the person should use a 20 Ohm Resistor in Parallel (or Shunt as you have said), ideally to get a better match to the tap, the result would be that most of the power would dissipate through the resistor.

Hi All, thanks for all the ideas and info. I'm not familiar with electronic and amp circuits. My SV-2A3 power amp has a volume pot before the output. Does that serve similar purpose as the resistor? Does it help to close-up the compatibility issue?

May 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #12,339 of 18,459
Not sure, as I am not familiar with your amps circuit.  I would venture to say that it isn't for that purpose though and you're still better off using a 20ish ohm resistor on the 16 ohm tap.

May 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #12,340 of 18,459

Quote:

Hi All, thanks for all the ideas and info. I'm not familiar with electronic and amp circuits. My SV-2A3 power amp has a volume pot before the output. Does that serve similar purpose as the resistor? Does it help to close-up the compatibility issue?

No, not the same resistor. Usually the volume pot of an amp is used to control the voltage from your source to the amp.

May 31, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #12,341 of 18,459
I hate my LCD-2's and my Schiit Lyr (after a couple tube rolls) & Apogee Duet DAC. Before this happened, I had UPS packages to await almost constantly, and a constant stream of sexy new gear. Now, maybe I'm easily pleased, but I feel like everything else would be a side-grade, or a zillion dollars for 50 cents more audio information. I'm totally kitty-whipped by this setup. Life is hard. Maybe it should all be about design, maybe Dr. Dre is ahead of the curve - "LCD-2 Ferrari Edition with Red Carbon Fiber Cups" or "Schiit Lyr Lady Gaga Edition with Embedded Corn, Peanuts, and Silver Metallic Neoprene-encased Housing". Where do we go from here? 

May 31, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #12,342 of 18,459

Quote:
I have had my LCD-2s for nearly a month after a recommendation from a friend here, I must say that I really look forward to listening to my music collection, be it from my Mac Book Pro through a Fiio E7/E9 combination or from my iPod classic through Just Audio uHA-120. I find it difficult describing sound so I will just say that the quality of it coming through these headphones and modest systems just blows me away. 

X2. I had similar experience when I move from SS to SET amp in my home system. Music seems to have more "soul", seems more "real". Very seductive and captivating.

May 31, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #12,344 of 18,459

Quote:
No, not the same resistor. Usually the volume pot of an amp is used to control the voltage from your source to the amp.

Yes, the volume pot is right after the the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back