Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 22, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #11,986 of 18,459
Wow that costs $1500 
eek.gif

May 22, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #11,987 of 18,459
May 22, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #11,989 of 18,459

Quote:
Yeah, thanks.  I've got a few more which I'll post at some point.  If Audeze gets me their logo, there's a nice space for it at the top left there...

Very nice job with the lighting.  That's better than anything they've got up on their website(s).  Good show, they ought to hire you to replace those product shots with some eye candy. 

May 22, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #11,990 of 18,459
Wow that costs $1500 
eek.gif
In a thread about $1,000 headphones and the many dollars with of amps and cables to go with them, a $1,500 chair doesn't seem out of line.

At the lower end is Ikea's venerable Poang chair, at $90 and up. More comfy for some body types than others and it doesn't elevate the lower body the way the higher-quality lounges do, but it works for me.

May 22, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #11,991 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Wow that costs $1500 
eek.gif

In a thread about $1,000 headphones and the many dollars with of amps and cables to go with them, a $1,500 chair doesn't seem out of line.

At the lower end is Ikea's venerable Poang chair, at $90 and up. More comfy for some body types than others and it doesn't elevate the lower body the way the higher-quality lounges do, but it works for me.

Lol. True

May 22, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #11,992 of 18,459
This thread is reminding me of the Stepdance thread. It is so damned good we have to find other things that complement it to talk about as how many superlatives can we add :D

May 22, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #11,993 of 18,459

It's a chair.  You sit in it.  Get a lazy boy that won't cost you over a grand.  You can use the money you saved on a lounge chair to buy a proper amp or headphones.
Quote:
Quote:
Wow that costs $1500 
eek.gif

May 23, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #11,995 of 18,459

Quote:
It's a chair.  You sit in it.  Get a lazy boy that won't cost you over a grand.  You can use the money you saved on a lounge chair to buy a proper amp or headphones.

They're headphones. You listen to them. Get cheapie earbuds that won't cost you nearly a grand. You can use the money you saved on the Audez'e to buy a proper chair or couch.

Just kidding dagothur, I couldn't resist.

May 23, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #11,996 of 18,459

Quote:
They're headphones. You listen to them. Get cheapie earbuds that won't cost you nearly a grand. You can use the money you saved on the Audez'e to buy a proper chair or couch.

Just kidding dagothur, I couldn't resist.

I have a friend who say the same thing to me.  He uses $30 Skullcandy cans.  "They're headphones you put them on and turn them up".  Then he throws in the 1K snake oil rant at me. 

May 23, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #11,999 of 18,459

Well... after a couple of weeks of reading, comparing, waiting for info on the HE-500, reading some more... I joined the LCD-2 club on Friday, and couldn't be happier.  

I also picked up a Lyr and a Music Hall DAC 25.3, which I haven't had a chance to try yet, as well as my Corda Eartube, which hasn't been used in a while.  So far I've just been listening to the LCD-2 and letting them break in through a K.I.C.A.S. Caliente (which sounds great, but I'm guessing will be up for sale soon).   They've still got plenty of break-in time to go, but even over the first few days...wow.

I was worried about them sounding dark after reading so much back-and-forth about the treble, but I don't find them dark at all - very natural and detailed, with as much extension as I could want (or hear) for that matter.  As I've seen others say... cymbals in particular just sound so real.  At the other end of the spectrum, the bass is the best I've heard in a set of cans.   From everything I've read, I expected it to be good, but all the reading in the world doesn't compare to actually hearing the extension, depth and detail of bass in these things.

I've been a fan of my Beyer DT-990s for a long time, I realized they're somewhat of a V in response curve, but I never realized how much I was missing in the mids in comparison.

I'm still getting used to the differences in imaging.   So far, my impression is that while the LCD-2 can seem narrower and more closed-in than other cans I've listened to, it just seems more natural.

Last night, I switched back to the Beyers for a bit, and I really don't think I'd go back to them any more.  They sound harsh, thin and very recessed in the mids in comparison... couldn't get back to the LCD-2 fast enough.

I even find the LCD-2 to be more comfortable than the DT-990, other than weight.  The Beyers don't extend quite enough, and while they're very light and the pads are super comfortable, I do tend to need to adjust them quite a bit after a while, since the bottom of the pads press on the bottom of my ears.  The LCD-2 fits with a notch to spare on each side.   It would be nice if they were lighter, but I'm already getting used to that, and love how solid and well-built they feel - photos of them just don't do them justice in that regard.  Long term - I hope the foam in the headband holds up, or that a replacement is made available.  Likewise, it will remain to be seen how comfortable leather pads will be, once warmer weather gets here.

The cable is thinner than I was expecting, but still kind of heavy.  I've got two cables on the way from Norse Audio to help with that, one for regular 1/4" jack use and one balanced/unterminated so that I can add some speaker lugs.

-Mike

May 23, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #12,000 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Wow that costs $1500 
eek.gif

Take a look at Elite Home Theater Seating and Fortress Home Theater Seating - they make our headphones seem cheap in comparison, but man do they look nice.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back