Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 20, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #10,306 of 18,459
Fedex delivered early so I got my pair today. Sorry to be direct but I am not impressed to say the least. How long does burn-in for LCD2 take? I have it amped from by Leben CS300XS which I understand from Skylab that it is a very good match with the LCD2. But right now the LCD2 is totally in a lower league than the ED10 (post earpad fix), IMO. I can't A/B it with the T5P yet, as T5P now sits in my office, but the LCD2 is a major disappointment to me so far. Let's hope that burn-in does change things. 

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #10,307 of 18,459

Quote:
Fedex delivered early so I got my pair today. Sorry to be direct but I am not impressed to say the least. How long does burn-in for LCD2 take? I have it amped from by Leben CS300XS which I understand from Skylab that it is a very good match with the LCD2. But right now the LCD2 is totally in a lower league than the ED10 (post earpad fix), .IMO I can't A/B it with the T5P yet, as T5P now sits in my office, but the LCD2 is a major disappointment to me so far. Let's hope that burn-in does change things. 

The pads might need some softening up. But, more importantly, you might have to get used to the sound. Of course, it might just not be for you.

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #10,308 of 18,459

Quote:
The published spec from the manufacturer is:
Frequency Response: 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB, so as far as the Lyr having a "V" shaped frequency response is concerned, either the manufacturer is telling a lie, or people are hearing things.

Could be something like the stereo crosstalk not being even.  I couldn't work out why another amp seemed to have a bit of a v-shaped frequency response, despite measuring flat, until I saw the stereo crosstalk graph was v-shaped. Wouldn't surprise me and would explain why they match nicely with the LCD-2s. 

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #10,309 of 18,459
Well I guess regarding the 2 Hz - 200 KHz -3dB spec, that really could mean that anywhere between those two frequencies they don't drop below some arbitrary reference line by more than 3 dB, it really doesn't stop it from peaking anywhere.  I suppose it gets into an engineering argument as to what that spec really means, as it can be interpreted several different ways.

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #10,310 of 18,459

Quote:
Fedex delivered early so I got my pair today. Sorry to be direct but I am not impressed to say the least. How long does burn-in for LCD2 take? I have it amped from by Leben CS300XS which I understand from Skylab that it is a very good match with the LCD2. But right now the LCD2 is totally in a lower league than the ED10 (post earpad fix), IMO. I can't A/B it with the T5P yet, as T5P now sits in my office, but the LCD2 is a major disappointment to me so far. Let's hope that burn-in does change things. 

Googleli, the Edition 10 sound very, very different from the LCD-2.  There is very clearly an excess of treble energy with the Edition 10.  The LCD-2 have less treble energy than the vast majority of headphones; although they measure astonishingly flat in the treble, the treble is shelved down from the bass.  I personally prefer the LCD-2's sound signature, but if you are used to the Edition 10, it will indeed take some time to get used to the LCD-2.  You may not like them even in time, but I strongly suggest NOT listening to your Edition 10 for a while.  Let your ears and brain adjust to the LCD-2.  Then decide whether it's for you.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #10,311 of 18,459
So I remember a while back people where talking about the sides not staying in place, basically requiring them to be constantly re-tightened, did we ever find a way to solve this? No matter how tight I make it with the supplied Allen Key, it always tends to go up a couple of steps.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #10,312 of 18,459

Quote:
So I remember a while back people where talking about the sides not staying in place, basically requiring them to be constantly re-tightened, did we ever find a way to solve this? No matter how tight I make it with the supplied Allen Key, it always tends to go up a couple of steps.

My right side was loose and tightened and locked using a flathead on that side.  I have the Allen key but didn't use it.  Is there a danger of tightening from the flathead screw or is it OK either way?

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #10,313 of 18,459

Quote:
Except for the -3dB correct?
wink.gif

The -3dB is most likely at 2Hz and 200kHz, and you wont hear either one.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #10,314 of 18,459

Quote:
Could be something like the stereo crosstalk not being even.  I couldn't work out why another amp seemed to have a bit of a v-shaped frequency response, despite measuring flat, until I saw the stereo crosstalk graph was v-shaped. Wouldn't surprise me and would explain why they match nicely with the LCD-2s. 

Crosstalk?  Let's get real.  In today's equipment, from source to subject, the most crosstalk anyone will encounter is what leaks from ear to ear.  The amp is completely out of the picture.  Unless, of course you're talking about artificially induced crosstalk, known as crossfeed, in which case, the amp is still out of the picture.  There's probably not an amp on the market with less than 60dB of channel separation.  

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #10,315 of 18,459

Quote:
My right side was loose and tightened and locked using a flathead on that side.  I have the Allen key but didn't use it.  Is there a danger of tightening from the flathead screw or is it OK either way?

They do completely different things.  One adjusts the spring tension on the height adjustment detent, the other adjusts the rotation stop on the flat edge of the vertical post.

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #10,316 of 18,459
I thought the LCD-2's cups were supposed to swivel freely and it was really annoying because they would frequently "flop" angrily and invert themselves due to the clamp and weight of the cups.  Then I went to the meet and noticed none of the others did that, and the nice gentleman at Neko Audio did a quick tighten of a couple of the screws and it no longer flops it's great. 

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #10,317 of 18,459

your headphones have a mind of their own i suggest you keep them happy by feeding them music daily lest they decide to take over the world.
Quote:
I thought the LCD-2's cups were supposed to swivel freely and it was really annoying because they would frequently "flop" angrily and invert themselves due to the clamp and weight of the cups.  Then I went to the meet and noticed none of the others did that, and the nice gentleman at Neko Audio did a quick tighten of a couple of the screws and it no longer flops it's great. 

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #10,318 of 18,459

Quote:
The published spec from the manufacturer is:
Frequency Response: 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB, so as far as the Lyr having a "V" shaped frequency response is concerned, either the manufacturer is telling a lie, or people are hearing things.

Actually, depending on the headphone and the actual output impedance of the Lyr, you may in fact GET a V shaped power curve with headphones, especially lower impedance conventional cans or multi-way IEMs.  Anyone know what the real Lyr output Z is?  

Orthos are a special case, they have almost flat impedance curves with frequency, but for most 'phones, there will be a rise in bass and often treble output because of the way the variable output impedance values of the phone interact with the finite output impedance of the amp.  The higher the output impedance of the amp the more pronounced the effect becomes.

The reason is that amplifier frequency response is measured into a resistor (which is more or less how an ortho behaves), but regular headphones and IEM's with crossovers have complex impedance curves, so the actual power delivered into the load of the headphone is in fact variable by frequency.  The higher the output impedance of an amp, the greater this effect becomes for a given load. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #10,319 of 18,459

Quote:
Actually, depending on the headphone and the actual output impedance of the Lyr, you may in fact GET a V shaped power curve with headphones, especially lower impedance conventional cans or multi-way IEMs.  Anyone know what the real Lyr output Z is?  

Orthos are a special case, they have almost flat impedance curves with frequency, but for most 'phones, there will be a rise in bass and often treble output because of the way the variable output impedance values of the phone interact with the finite output impedance of the amp.  The higher the output impedance of the amp the more pronounced the effect becomes.

The reason is that amplifier frequency response is measured into a resistor (which is more or less how an ortho behaves), but regular headphones and IEM's with crossovers have complex impedance curves, so the actual power delivered into the load of the headphone is in fact variable by frequency.  The higher the output impedance of an amp, the greater this effect becomes for a given load. 

You are correct, however the FR aberrations observed are more due to the headphone and its concomitant reactive impedance than due to the amp itself.  I'll bet with it's current delivery capability, that the output impedance i quite low.

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #10,320 of 18,459

Quote:

Interesting, this could go a long way to explain people's varying impressions. All I was suggesting with my V-shaped statement was that there seem to be comments both about brightness as well as an enhanced low end with the Lyr, that equals a V-shaped response in my mind. Now if the mids are indeed more assertive for ortho users and non-ortho users have a more V-shaped listening experience, that would validate your varying resistance = varying response theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back