Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 11, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #766 of 18,459
I have the wiring diagram now, so I'll be sending the necessary info off to Soloz Audio to see if he can make the cable in time!

* See, this way if I have the cable, then I have to focus on selling stuff to generate the funds for the LCD-2. 

May 11, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #767 of 18,459
How much is that going to cost you?
(and what's the benefit going to be of the new cable?)

Quote:
Soloz Audio is going to try to get his solid wire cryo'ed and make up a balanced Reference Silver Hybrid cable for me to bring to CanJam.  I need to make up the dual 3-pin to single 4-pin adapter as well as a TRS adapter too. 

May 11, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #768 of 18,459

Quote:
I have found the Concerto to work very well with the Beyer T1 and the Hifiman HE-5/LE, so it seems to me it should, in theory, work well with the LCD-2.  I also plan to use them with my Leben CS300X, which I can assure you will do a more than competent job - it's the best headphone amp I have ever heard with ANY headphone (too bad it's so bloody expensive in the USA).

Well if it works fine with the HE-5 which is a pretty brutal load then you might be okay. I'm still skeptical due to my numerous bad previous experiences ;p But I try and keep an open mind until I've heard the thing.

May 11, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #769 of 18,459

Quote:
How much is that going to cost you?
(and what's the benefit going to be of the new cable?)

The new cable will make the O2s kneel and beg forgiveness lest they be morphed into screeching Koss 950s on an E/90 fed by a first generation iPod.  The cable is suspected to be responsible for the reports of HD800s spontaneously combusting if they are within 25 feet of the cable.  T1s will suddenly develop eddie currents that measure 2 Tesla, causing them to fly apart into their loose components.  PS1000s will turn into Dr. Dre Beats or Skull Candy ear buds, depending on the selected music playing in them at the time of of the incident.  You really don't want to see, or hear about what happens to JH13s, it's just not suitable to even discuss on a censored family  forum, but I hope you have plenty of Q-Tips handy if you happen to be wearing a pair when you come too close to the Reference Silver Hybrid...

Other than that, I haven't heard the LCD-2s, so I can't claim that they need a new cable or that the cable swap will be an earth-shattering improvement.  I only know that it did drastically improve my NAD RP18s over the 8-wire Alpha cable which is a pretty nice cable upgrade over stock.  It tightened the bass and extended the highs on my RP18s.  So perhaps it will add another layer to the LCD-2s?  Who knows.  What it will really do is allow me to have one great cable for a multitude of headphones as I'll convert my RP18s to mini-XLRs along with my TPs, KH-83s and a couple other customs.  This will make storage of the other cans much, much easier too. 

May 11, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #771 of 18,459

I have found the Concerto to work very well with the Beyer T1 and the Hifiman HE-5/LE, so it seems to me it should, in theory, work well with the LCD-2.  I also plan to use them with my Leben CS300X, which I can assure you will do a more than competent job - it's the best headphone amp I have ever heard with ANY headphone (too bad it's so bloody expensive in the USA).

Is the Leben that good? Did you try it with T1 and/or HD800?

May 11, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #772 of 18,459

Quote:
Is the Leben that good?Did you try it with T1 and/or HD800?

IMHO, yes.  It drives all of the headphones in my Sig better than any other amp I have, and the ones I have had in here recently (like the Audio GD Phoenix, which is now gone).

May 11, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #774 of 18,459

Quote:
So which one in your sig is your favorite phone and have you swapped any tubes in the Leben?

My favorite headphone is the Beyer T1.  And I am using NOS Sylvania 6BQ5 output tubes and 5751 driver tubes in the Leben.  The Leben is not OTL - fully transformer coupled.

May 11, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #775 of 18,459
At the end of the waiting game, I'll be really interested to hear what you think of the LCD-2 and Concerto, Skylab.  I was considering picking that up as my first desktop, and your write-up made it very compelling.

May 11, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #776 of 18,459
Leben CS300 is an expensive amp but no matter how much is it, it is world class amp not only for headphones, enjoy it sky
wink_face.gif

May 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #777 of 18,459
Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing the LCD-2 with the Leben
L3000.gif

May 11, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #778 of 18,459
The Audez'e will have a balanced cable eventually, and that will translate into my trying the output taps of the Moth and First-watt. It doesn't need the added output but curiosity will get the better of me.

The contrary is that the low-level balance is so extraordinary, that's where you'll probably be spending most of your time. To save hearing and all that
wink_face.gif

May 11, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #779 of 18,459

The press for the Leben has been formidable! I haven't been thinking about mating with Headphones, but I would love to hear them with my Harbeth's. A Gentleman has the 600 in Washington for sale on the 'Gon I have been eye-balling
L3000.gif

Quote:
Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing the LCD-2 with the Leben
L3000.gif

May 11, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #780 of 18,459
My pet project involves batteries...very big batteries (two Odyssey's), and and new National Semi's for drivers. That will rock the resistive to their acoustic centers (more later!). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back