Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 11, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #751 of 18,459

Quote:
Alan, it was meant for those who didn't know and was merely acknowledging your findings. 
tongue.gif

Now for something you don't know..LCD-2 with the Stacker 2!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

edit: Man does this new layout hurt my eyes.
angry_face.gif

That's why it's called a Stacker...you'll find my Gilmore's on top!
devil_face.gif
! I'm liking the new format! Usually I resist change cause' I'm an old fart....but I like the new digs!!

May 11, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #752 of 18,459

Quote:
That's why it's called a Stacker...you'll find my Gilmore's on top!
devil_face.gif
! I'm liking the new format! Usually I resist change cause' I'm an old fart....but I like the new digs!!

LOL...Didn't care much for the GS-X  but to each his own I say in such no-win situations 
duggehsmile.png

I guess the format is fine, its the color scheme. 

Trying to finish up this review on the LCD-2 tonight..hopefully i'll be done soon.

May 11, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #753 of 18,459

Quote:
LOL...Didn't care much for the GS-X  but to each his own I say in such no-win situations 
duggehsmile.png

I guess the format is fine, its the color scheme. 

Trying to finish up this review on the LCD-2 tonight..hopefully i'll be done soon.

They can sound that way without a source. "You can't handle the truth" (to borrow a line from Jack Nicholson). I don't like slow...I like GO! The more revealing an amp is, the more scrutiny is placed on the top of the chain (IMO).

Excellent, we need some more insights to these Masterpieces! They are really starting to shine as they stretch and flex to life. The top end is starting it's "stretch" run and it's starting to shimmer my chamois.  

May 11, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #754 of 18,459
Agree that the Stacker doesn't have the slam or the speed I look for. My EHHA does better here, but then the former does everything else so much better. Most revealing amp I have heard. 

Will acknowledge when I hear a Gilmore design that betters the Stacker 2 to my ears. I think the Dynafet is a prime contender for this but till then...Also not a matter of I can't handle the truth, more like my wallet can't handle the relentless onslaught.. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Without a source "you can't handle the truth" (to borrow a line from Jack Nicholson). I don't like slow...I like GO!

May 11, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #755 of 18,459

Quote:
Just some thoughts about the pricing of the Audez'e. For the amount of Musical information the Phone delivers, and the presentation of the delivery....it's VERY CHEAP! Several of the performance parameters haven't been approached before....not at this level....not at any time!

I know.....I know, sounds like Hyperbole. You just have to get off your dead ass and hear these!

Alan...I hate you. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  I just added myself to the wait list...all these great new headphones are killing me.

May 11, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #758 of 18,459

Quote:
Welcome aboard Robert!  Now you need some nice Solid-State!!  

I'm pretty confident the Meier Concerto is up to the task 
L3000.gif

May 11, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #760 of 18,459
Now...the dreaded waiting game...
cool.gif

May 11, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #761 of 18,459

Quote:
^^ Either of these should do the trick.

Tiny XLR-1
Tiny XLR-2

Have the Mouser part number handy for the female jacks that correspond to the XLR-1?  And does anyone know which pins are the signal and ground on the LCD-2s?  Soloz Audio is going to try to get his solid wire cryo'ed and make up a balanced Reference Silver Hybrid cable for me to bring to CanJam.  I need to make up the dual 3-pin to single 4-pin adapter as well as a TRS adapter too. 

May 11, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #764 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm pretty confident the Meier Concerto is up to the task 
L3000.gif

I'm more skeptical than you. I've never heard a Meier amp that didn't sound thin and anemic to me. They all sounded the same from the low end to the high end. Is the Concerto fully discrete? That would be something that would interest me to checking it out since it would be different from Meier's previous offerings. I doubt anything conventionally op amp based really has what it takes to bring an ortho to its full potential. In fact your conventionally fully discrete amp probably wouldn't do it either. Low impedance headphones are brutal loads as any Grado fanboy will tell you... this one isn't toooo bad at 50 ohms but even so the bass on these doesn't come from nowhere.

May 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #765 of 18,459

Quote:

I'm more skeptical than you. I've never heard a Meier amp that didn't sound thin and anemic to me. They all sounded the same from the low end to the high end. Is the Concerto fully discrete? That would be something that would interest me to checking it out since it would be different from Meier's previous offerings. I doubt anything conventionally op amp based really has what it takes to bring an ortho to its full potential. In fact your conventionally fully discrete amp probably wouldn't do it either. Low impedance headphones are brutal loads as any Grado fanboy will tell you... this one isn't toooo bad at 50 ohms but even so the bass on these doesn't come from nowhere.

I have found the Concerto to work very well with the Beyer T1 and the Hifiman HE-5/LE, so it seems to me it should, in theory, work well with the LCD-2.  I also plan to use them with my Leben CS300X, which I can assure you will do a more than competent job - it's the best headphone amp I have ever heard with ANY headphone (too bad it's so bloody expensive in the USA).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back