Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 30, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #17,371 of 18,459

Quote:
I found the clamp almost unbearable after less than an hour when I first received my rev.2. I don't have a ginormous melon so it was confounding. After about a week though the clamp loosened up and without thought I found I was wearing it for hours. I didn't even have to stretch out the headband, the pressure just disappeared without much notice.

Don´t have much issue with the clamp. I did notice it the first time I put them on but suppose they will soften like the Rev1 in that regard. But I am afraid the headband issue will then be worse when you don´t have the clamp to prevent the headband from digging in your scalp. Will see luckily they are interchangeable if I manage to find a favourite between the R1 and R2. If I sell one of them don´t be surprised if it´s the one with leather headband though :wink:

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #17,372 of 18,459
^ Also had a bit of issues with clamping force when I first used the rev.2s but it's getting better with use. Don't feel it as much now after normal use for about 2 weeks. No stretching of the band required.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #17,373 of 18,459
The primary difference between the r1 and r2 is a change in the frequency response.  Depending on the kind of music you like, this may or may not be a good thing. For me, with classical, it was. For vocals, because the r2s don't have what I'd describe as a "dark, seductive sound" due to the weaker upper-mids/lower treble, some people find it to be less musical.

Here are both my r1 and r2 graphs overlaid. A review of what frequencies various instruments and vocals use will help understand this better.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #17,375 of 18,459

Quote:
The primary difference between the r1 and r2 is a change in the frequency response.  Depending on the kind of music you like, this may or may not be a good thing. For me, with classical, it was. For vocals, because the r2s don't have what I'd describe as a "dark, seductive sound" due to the weaker upper-mids/lower treble, some people find it to be less musical.

Here are both my r1 and r2 graphs overlaid. A review of what frequencies various instruments and vocals use will help understand this better.

Wait a minute... Not having followed this thread, I have to ask, since your sentence was a bit contradictory: Which is which? :) 

Dark = stronger upper-mids/lower treble?

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #17,376 of 18,459

Have you checked out 'Amp recommendations for the LCD-2'?
Quote:
which is the best solid state headphone amp for the LCD2?

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #17,377 of 18,459

Quote:
I agree with some points and disagree with others.  I do not think the rev2 was a wannabe or any less awesome than the rev1.  I feel like Audeze changed things up to satisfy a wider range of listener, the rev1 was the better choice for bass lovers, the rev2 better for people who dislike such a potent bass experience and wanted something toned down a bit.

The odd thing here is that I don't find the bass on my rev1 obvious at all. In fact I've been surprised at how unobtrusive it is, especially compared to the HD650 I came from. People keep mentioning the bass, but to my ears it's very much in its place.   

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #17,378 of 18,459
this whole rev1 & 2 thing is never gonna end until LCD 3 comes out. 
etysmile.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #17,379 of 18,459

Quote:
Interesting. I wonder how the Mogami compares to the Q-Audio and Norse cables. I wonder if your friends are as generous, and would consider lending you their cables for comparison.

I won't compare these cables anymore,the reason is I don't want to loose my money on it
smile_phones.gif
I don't think the mogami can match these two cables,it is just my need to have more bass weight and I've found it's a good cable for its price.
The very interesting one is the kimber hero cable,because the friend, who has it, has more experience in audiophile stuffs,I really believe in him (I asked him to lend me his cable,hope he will send me soon)

About the Q-cable and Norse cable with the rev1:
I think we already have some information from here,then again the following is  comments about them in the Thai headphones forum :
Soundstage : almost the same, width more than depth,but comparing the two, the Q-Cable can show more depth than the Norse
 Mid : overall sound the Q-cable is better than the Norse
Bass : Norse cable show more impact,bass weight,dynamic.  Q-cable is somehow bass light
high : Q-cable wins
transparency : Q cable wins

So for me it's easy to say (after reading the above comment) that the Q-cable is somehow the endorphin alike ,these cable add treble,soundstage and should match well with the rev1 (if someone said ref1 has too much bass,and too thick mid)

Norse can be the Zeus junior,they just have a good impactful bass,on the other hand Norse is not quite like Zeus in the treble. You can notice easily ,that Zeus add some treble energy,but not quite so with the norse.  To my taste I think Zeus and Norse should match well with the rev2. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #17,381 of 18,459
Apart from the LCD2 cables, I see that you have some very good interconnect cables, for example the Cardas Golden Reference and the Nordost Heimdall. How would you compare the two? I was considering Cardas Clear and also the Nordost Vanhalla.  The Nordost Odin is a bit too expensive... I think the speaker cables made from Odin would cost more than 10 grands? From what I have heard it is pretty amazing though. 

Quote:

I won't compare these cables anymore,the reason is I don't want to loose my money on it
smile_phones.gif
I don't think the mogami can match these two cables,it is just my need to have more bass weight and I've found it's a good cable for its price.
The very interesting one is the kimber hero cable,because the friend, who has it, has more experience in audiophile stuffs,I really believe in him (I asked him to lend me his cable,hope he will send me soon)

About the Q-cable and Norse cable with the rev1:
I think we already have some information from here,then again the following is  comments about them in the Thai headphones forum :
Soundstage : almost the same, width more than depth,but comparing the two, the Q-Cable can show more depth than the Norse
 Mid : overall sound the Q-cable is better than the Norse
Bass : Norse cable show more impact,bass weight,dynamic.  Q-cable is somehow bass light
high : Q-cable wins
transparency : Q cable wins

So for me it's easy to say (after reading the above comment) that the Q-cable is somehow the endorphin alike ,these cable add treble,soundstage and should match well with the rev1 (if someone said ref1 has too much bass,and too thick mid)

Norse can be the Zeus junior,they just have a good impactful bass,on the other hand Norse is not quite like Zeus in the treble. You can notice easily ,that Zeus add some treble energy,but not quite so with the norse.  To my taste I think Zeus and Norse should match well with the rev2. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #17,382 of 18,459
the cardas golden ref interconnect  give the weight  and warmth to the system ,sweet mid and not as bright as the nordost. My system is quite bright (my amp actually) ,so I use the cardas golden ref in my main system to connect from my cdp to the amp.
The nordost Heimdal is a bit bright,but faster than the golden ref ,I use it to connect between my HM801(thick sound ,treble roll off a bit) to an amp in my bedroom.

Cardas clear interconnect doesn't have much something in common with the cardas golden ref.They sound clearer, faster,more treble energy  with more dynamic ,the sound is not as thick as the cardas golden ref.

I think Cardas Clear is something between the Nordost in general and the Cardas golden reference series.(near the vahalla than the golden ref though)
I havn't heard the vahalla before,but from the information in  many web sites and from  my friends (I think you already have read these information), the vahalla should sound so ****  transparent, crytal clear high ,deep and wide soundstage with great image sepeartion.

I think  the vahalla should be superior to the cardas clear considering the price (just my speculation
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #17,383 of 18,459

Quote:

Your Rev1 seem to have an unusual big dip? Compared to mine your Rev2 has ever so slightly more and the Rev1 a lot less. The only point my Rev1 goes below 80 db is at 18 kbit so mine is perhaps a bright Rev1?

It´s still a LCD-2 surely but with more soundstage. But that may be a lot due to the new pads as anything else :)

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #17,384 of 18,459
Quote:
Does Bitperfect update the data in the iTune list?

It works with iTunes, as a background process. So you use iTunes as you usually would, except you get audiofile sound quality from it. Big difference to my ears, really easy to detect changes with LCD-2s, as as you said, they highlight the subtle changes.

For those upset with the size or repetition of this thread, you have the choice to not read it. You can effectively close it personally, without having a mod do it and cut those off who quite enjoy the talk.

About 100 hours on the R2's now, and absolutely love them. The increased accuracy/soundstage, especially with live music, seats me in the action. With BitPerfect (hog mode), music is more engaging. They continue to smoothen.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #17,385 of 18,459
Slightly off-topic, but how do I turn on 'hog-mode' in BitPerfect, Yoga? Or is it always 'on'? I am using a Mac and love what the standard BP settings do for some of my music files, but also notice that there are now perceivable gaps/delays between tracks in iTunes, especially when one runs/mixes into another. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back