Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 29, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #17,356 of 18,459

Quote:

3 Mogami  mini quad microphone cable (DIY with neutrik plug) . This cable costs me just 40 usd (10 feet) and the reason ,why I have to try this,because I can't afford both Zeus and Endorphin. If I have enough money ,I will keep them both and almost 100% forget my old LCD2 classic. In the end I think ,I will keep just the Endorphin.
I just want some cable ,which gave a little more bass weight and make me feel like I listen to the LCD2 classic with a good treble of the rev2. (that what's the Zeus can do)
And it didn't disappoint me, it sounds a lot better than the stock cable, it can't be compared with the two cables above,but it can tame the painful treble,that I've heard when I use the endorphin and the bass is back with more weight. So I'm really satisfied with this cable.It may be not my permanent solution (I plan to buy the Zeus in the future),but with 40 bucks ,I am so happy with it.

p.s.2 I've lent   2 of my friends the SAA endorphin and Zeus . They have Q-Cable and Norse Cable for the LCD2 (rev1). They just told me, that they like Zeus the most and the change of the sound is huge ,when they plug the Zeus to LCD2 compared to the Q-cable and Norse cable,which can give just a subtle improvement to the LCD2 . They like Zeus the most unlike me (I like endorphin the most)

Interesting. I wonder how the Mogami compares to the Q-Audio and Norse cables. I wonder if your friends are as generous, and would consider lending you their cables for comparison.

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #17,358 of 18,459

Quote:
Got the Rev2 today. The new leather headband is pretty awful I have to say. It´s a timer of about an hour on it where it become a torture instrument. Nudge it a mililmetre and rub your hair and swear a bit and it´s good again for another hour :p.

I found the clamp almost unbearable after less than an hour when I first received my rev.2. I don't have a ginormous melon so it was confounding. After about a week though the clamp loosened up and without thought I found I was wearing it for hours. I didn't even have to stretch out the headband, the pressure just disappeared without much notice.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #17,359 of 18,459
x2. They are both very good 'hi-fi' cans that are in a relatively 'unique', yet well represented, niche here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

?

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #17,360 of 18,459

Quote:

Apparently it is felt by the poster that the 2 draws more attention to the sound it produces rather than to the music. That would mean that the 1, in this person's opinion is more musical while the 2 accentuates the sound in such a way as to draw some attention away form the music and more to the instrument producing it as in this case, the headphones. That is my interpretation anyway.

I have not heard the 2 but for me, the 1 is in no way HIFi, which I am very glad of. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #17,361 of 18,459
Jamato - agree. The sound of the Rev 1 is nothing short of breathstaking. The Rev 2, from what I listened at the Hifi show, was just Hi-fi wannabe. There are tons of dynamic flagships out there doing the same if not better, so I don't know what the Audeze guys were thinking about - to give up something which made them won, to pursue something which others are already pursuing and excel better?  For the Rev 1, the mid range ~~~~~~~ness is so just so unique -  that was exactly how the Rev 1 put the dynamic flagships to shame, IMO. The Rev 2 simply lost it. For those who want the Rev 1 to sound more Hi-fi, using some good high end silver cables, or using a more analytical source, even as lowly as the CLAS, would give you much better results than changing it to the Rev 2.

Let's wait for the LCD-3 to come out. Hope the ~~~~~~~ness will really come back, for heaven's sake.

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #17,362 of 18,459

Quote:
Apparently it is felt by the poster that the 2 draws more attention to the sound it produces rather than to the music. That would mean that the 1, in this person's opinion is more musical while the 2 accentuates the sound in such a way as to draw some attention away form the music and more to the instrument producing it as in this case, the headphones. That is my interpretation anyway.

I have not heard the 2 but for me, the 1 is in no way HIFi, which I am very glad of. 

Well if that is what he meant it's definitely not true, particularly the part where the r.2 is less musical and accentuates the sound in such a way as to draw some attention away form the music and more to the instrument producing it as in this case, the headphones.   That's simply not true.  

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #17,363 of 18,459
Short of using true high end amplifiers' headphone out (such as the Accuphase C3800 flagship preamp), which is the best solid state headphone amp for the LCD2? Is it the Redwine Audio thingy? I am thinking about getting one of those really good desktop headphone amps to replace my CLAS/Stepdance combo for my office LCD2 setup.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #17,364 of 18,459

Quote:
Got the Rev2 today. The new leather headband is pretty awful I have to say. It´s a timer of about an hour on it where it become a torture instrument. Nudge it a mililmetre and rub your hair and swear a bit and it´s good again for another hour :p.

Thats how I get through my day with them haha ;D

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #17,365 of 18,459

Quote:
Jamato - agree. The sound of the Rev 1 is nothing short of breathstaking. The Rev 2, from what I listened at the Hifi show, was just Hi-fi wannabe. There are tons of dynamic flagships out there doing the same if not better, so I don't know what the Audeze guys were thinking about - to give up something which made them won, to pursue something which others are already pursuing and excel better?  For the Rev 1, the mid range ~~~~~~~ness is so just so unique -  that was exactly how the Rev 1 put the dynamic flagships to shame, IMO. The Rev 2 simply lost it. For those who want the Rev 1 to sound more Hi-fi, using some good high end silver cables, or using a more analytical source, even as lowly as the CLAS, would give you much better results than changing it to the Rev 2.

I guess this would be this month's most controversial post, and probably a real thread sustainer. But it's an interesting alternative view to the one apparently held by all those rushing to sell their rev1s, all those subscribing to the dubious theory that something newer must be better. For myself, apart from the fact that I can't afford to sell and re-buy, I feel the rev1 is so close to perfect I'd be reluctant to take the chance of losing any of its wonderful qualities. All I'd ask for is just a smidgeon of extra sparkle, a touch more fire in the extreme treble, and even then only on certain recordings. Maybe a silver cable then, but it would have to be one on special with 80% off. Anyone know where I can find that?   

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #17,366 of 18,459
I would have to agree - don't sell your R1 until you test out R2 for an extended period to see which you prefer.  I can definitely identify with many of the ideas raised by the above quote - the R2 definitely loses some of the richness that made the R1 so unique in order to make a more versatile sound reproduction.  Personally I think the versatility will be very appealing to those who listen to a wide range of music and want to own only one headphone.  For the headphone collector the R1 is more distinctive. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #17,367 of 18,459
I agree with some points and disagree with others.  I do not think the rev2 was a wannabe or any less awesome than the rev1.  I feel like Audeze changed things up to satisfy a wider range of listener, the rev1 was the better choice for bass lovers, the rev2 better for people who dislike such a potent bass experience and wanted something toned down a bit.

Am I alone in that I enjoy the rev1 more than the rev2 ?   I am not so sure, i think at least a few people are with me on that!  viva la rev1!! AIE AIE! ARIBA!

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #17,368 of 18,459

Quote:

"hi-fi" as in it goes in line on what is commonly defined as a "hi-fi" sound nowadays. Although the Revision 2 still retains some of the LCD2's distinctive sound, its sound signature moves closer towards other TOTL dynamics, Beyerdynamic T1 in particular. As always it can be a good or bad thing depending on what you're looking for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back