Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 11, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #1,276 of 6,486
I've had Beyerdynamic T5ps personally and what I have to say about them is they're great, but sharp as hell with quite a few tracks. The soundstage is alright on them, but not award-winning or anything. But they're gorgeous and well-built. Comfortable, too!

That being said, I think the Audeze EL-8 Closed is going to ******* crush the T5ps.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,279 of 6,486
No bass in the T5p that's the issue.

I'm psyched for the EL8 closed back if they don't work out tgen I may give up on closed phones and stick with iems

I see you have both the HUGO and LCD-X.  Opinions?  Sorry to derail the EL-8, but I am seriously interested in this combo as I currently use a HUGO with FostexTH900 and am looking for open back.  Was thinking about the LCD-X until I saw the EL8 announced.  Thanks

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #1,280 of 6,486
I see you have both the HUGO and LCD-X.  Opinions?  Sorry to derail the EL-8, but I am seriously interested in this combo as I currently use a HUGO with FostexTH900 and am looking for open back.  Was thinking about the LCD-X until I saw the EL8 announced.  Thanks

Great combination I was listening to them last night. But I tend to use the Hugo in the office hence the interest in the EL8. But certainly recommend them with Hugo they have great balance and resolution

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,281 of 6,486
Great combination I was listening to them last night. But I tend to use the Hugo in the office hence the interest in the EL8. But certainly recommend them with Hugo they have great balance and resolution

Appreciate the quick response.  I use the HUGO in my second home, then got hooked on it as a portable, got the Fostex for my office where there is noise (although admittedly the Fostex are not the best in eliminating background noise) and got to enjoy it so much I now want an open can.  I am just torn between waiting to see how the EL-8 open compares to the LCD-X.  I don't expect it to surpass it, but at 1/2 the price and 150 grams lighter??  But then again, like the rest of us, I am impetuous and got the bug so I will likely just pull the trigger and get the LCD-X.  

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,282 of 6,486
In the same boat here.  While I really like the HE400i, the EL-8 is a tempting offer.
Quote:
I hope someone compares the EL-8 to the He-400i. I loved the he-400i's and wonder how much better the Audeze EL-8 are?. These cans are seriously tempting me lol. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,284 of 6,486
Jan 11, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,285 of 6,486
Which of these 2 high end headphones would you recommend? ( ( p7 
 ( Bowers & Wilkins) VS EL-8 close back ( audeze ) )) ​
i want good bass & good detail in mid and high ) ​

my​
amplifier is lyr ( 
Schiit Audio ) ​

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,286 of 6,486

I would like to read some of your impressions of Classical, Acoustic, Rock, Jazz, etc, etc.  Seems that all you listen and write about is Electronica.  To me Electronica on a headphone can sound really good, but the same headphone with male and female vocals, other genres can be a different story entirely!  Electronica won't tell a lot about instrument separation and placement, for example!

I review (and have reviewed) everything from Ani DiFranco and Glen Hansard to Yo La Tengo and re-issues of The Planets and Dusty in Memphis - as well as Daft Punk! 
biggrin.gif

Rest assured, I'll be using everything from Miles On The Corner and Donny Hathaways Extensions of a Man to Ben Frost and Adele.

When I was at Atlantic I specifically asked Mr. Ertegun to teach me about jazz - and I've been listening to alot of acoustic music on the EL-8,
but I used electronic tracks (with all-analog synths) to show me the depth of the sub-bass. Next to an organ, it's tough to beat the low-end ripple of a Roland TB-303, 808 or 909 - at least in terms of testing a systems ability to reproduce it without a hiccup!

I'm finding the EL-8s are breaking in (I know some people don't believe in it) but the low end, especially on the closed-backs, has opened up and also gotten a bit more punchy.
I wish I could use other cables too - or at least use the same cable loom from power to transducer. But I think some people are going to be surprised by the low-end from the 8s!!

Taking them over to Red House Studios this week.
I usually use my LCD-X to track and mix - lets see what these can do!

I'll find it later - but I already used DiFranco's "Hearse" in this thread to check out the 8s ability to reproduce the nuance of a female vocal (listening to Tori's Little Earthquakes now) - the piano and emotive power of her voice (seen her at least 20X) is beautifully rendered - reminds me of listening to this album on my LCD-2Fs. Amos' unique tonality can show me in a second whether a systems got some heavy colorations - sounding transparent right now... I'm gonna use Choirgirl Hotel next, as I worked on that record and its stamped on my brain! Unfortunately not one of my favorites - but I know it very well.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #1,287 of 6,486
At this point my greatest concern (scratch that, let's say curiosity) is how much of the Audeze "house sound" voicing has been abandoned to "accomodate" portable player
usage.?

I'm glad I held on to my Metrum Octave DAC after I moved up to my Hex a few years ago. I can easily drag the Octave along w/ my Auraliti PK100 dfp to the nearby Audeze dealer when he gets the EL-8 in. (I would really like to drag my 70lb Equitech 1.5Q Balanced Audio Transformer w/ me to the store, but that would be showing my OCD just a bit I guess. I was "Underwhelmed" with most of the equipment lines being carried by this dealer.)

I would be interested in some photos of "opened" up ear & outer side of the EL-8. I would hope these phones are not "Works in Progress" like the Hifiman (unless you're immune to driver resonances) headphones are.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #1,288 of 6,486
If they're after portability (especially in the closed model), the Audeze house sound is probably the last thing you want to have.  Barring the LCD-X and and XC, the Audeze house sound is mostly mid-centric.  Good, balanced sound while on the go in noisy environments is usually a u-shaped sound.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #1,290 of 6,486
  At this point my greatest concern (scratch that, let's say curiosity) is how much of the Audeze "house sound" voicing has been abandoned to "accomodate" portable player
usage.?

I'm glad I held on to my Metrum Octave DAC after I moved up to my Hex a few years ago. I can easily drag the Octave along w/ my Auraliti PK100 dfp to the nearby Audeze dealer when he gets the EL-8 in. (I would really like to drag my 70lb Equitech 1.5Q Balanced Audio Transformer w/ me to the store, but that would be showing my OCD just a bit I guess. I was "Underwhelmed" with most of the equipment lines being carried by this dealer.)

I would be interested in some photos of "opened" up ear & outer side of the EL-8. I would hope these phones are not "Works in Progress" like the Hifiman (unless you're immune to driver resonances) headphones are.

You make a good point.  My impression is:

1. The headphone is a finished product with the exception of the clamp being adjusted and possibly some similar changes. But the sound being reproduced is what will ship with the final product.

2. I think that these do not sound like the typical signature based on the lcd series ( just my speculation ).

This is a from scratch design that doesn't look or work like the other Audeze hp's. It seems that based on initial impressions that these are "leaner, brighter" than the typical Audeze hp. I had very high hopes for lcd sound in a lighter more comfortable product. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back