Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 11, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #1,262 of 6,486
  I know there's not much competition at $699 (or at least I can't think of any at that exact price) but I had the HE-560 in my mind as my official introduction to the planar sound for my desktop. I guess I should go for them if I just plan to use them at home and the EL-8's sound competes with headphones like the 400i in terms of sound.

$699 is really an odd price when people are comparing headphones that are $200 or more below the EL-8 directly to it, like the 400i, Mad Dog Pro's, etc. it's really confusing because to me that just translates to them not being priced right...Reminds me of when the HD700 were announced. Then there's the TH600 that was around $700 at launch too or something. Divisive cans that are now well below their initial price. Well, February-March will be an interesting time.

Psyched you mentioned the TH600 - I'm trying to get my hands on a pair for the EL-8 review for comparison. I thought of that - is it still a current model??
My buddy says he has a pair but might've lent them out - we'll see...

Just know I compared the EL-8 to the Beyerdynamic T51is because I had them with me in Vegas! Same with the MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro.
But - I'll be using the Alpha Prime for comparison at home, as well as others of course.

ANYBODY else:

Other headphones you'd like to see comparatively?

I have a nice collection - but also have access to a local hi-fi shop (where I worked for a bit years ago).
I set up the personal audio section, and know the cans there as well. 

Just wondering  - as I'm psyched to tackle the full review after I get more familiar with the EL-8 on my reference systems!!
Anyome here use Dolby headphone to listen to music? Mike, have you? I think I could make for a ridiculously grand night for you and your family.

Dolby headphone? Nope!
ALWAYS down to try something new!!

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #1,263 of 6,486
Mike, do you ever sleep! Your posts seem to come on an hourly basis...though I always look forward to reading them :) I would be interested in hearing how the OB EL-8's compare to the Oppo PM-2's since they are both in the same price bracket and are both pretty nice looking SEMI-portable options.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #1,264 of 6,486
  Mike, do you ever sleep! Your posts seem to come on an hourly basis...though I always look forward to reading them :) I would be interested in hearing how the OB EL-8's compare to the Oppo PM-2's since they are both in the same price bracket and are both pretty nice looking SEMI-portable options.

GREAT choice!! I'll be sure to include those.

And barely (sleep) but, honestly, I'm surprised I'm still up - usually I hibernate post-CES.
But my wifey and I are house-sitting and I'm over-tired at this point...

I'm gonna go for another midnight walk - this time w/ the closed EL-8s and Glove Audio A1 +AK120.
Oh - sorry - Off-topic: But GREAT job on the Glove piece goldendarko!! I meant to write a comment, will do!!

It's a great match w/ the EL-8s BTW - 
This combo really brings out the low end in these suckers, and the closed have plenty for me!!
I threw the new Beacon L1 EP at em, and some Plastikman afterwards - and they were thumpin' nicely with no problems.

The damn cable though - it should be just a LIL' longer fo sho...

Hopefully I'll come back and pass out!
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #1,265 of 6,486
  Psyched you mentioned the TH600 - I'm trying to get my hands on a pair for the EL-8 review for comparison. I thought of that - is it still a current model??

Just know I compared the EL-8 to the Beyerdynamic T51is because I had them with me in Vegas! Same with the MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro.
But - I'll be using the Alpha Prime for comparison at home, as well as others of course.

ANYBODY else:

I have a nice collection - but also have access to a local hi-fi shop (where I worked for a bit years ago).

Just wondering  - as I'm psyched to tackle the full review after I get more familiar with the EL-8 on my reference systems!!
Dolby headphone? Nope!

Oppo PM-1 is obvious apple to apples competition?

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #1,266 of 6,486

GREAT choice!! I'll be sure to include those.

And barely (sleep) but, honestly, I'm surprised I'm still up - usually I hibernate post-CES.
But my wifey and I are house-sitting and I'm over-tired at this point...

I'm gonna go for another midnight walk - this time w/ the closed EL-8s and Glove Audio A1 +AK120.
Oh - sorry - Off-topic: But GREAT job on the Glove piece goldendarko!! I meant to write a comment, will do!!

It's a great match w/ the EL-8s BTW - 
This combo really brings out the low end in these suckers, and the closed have plenty for me!!
I threw the new Beacon L1 EP at em, and some Plastikman afterwards - and they were thumpin' nicely with no problems.

The damn cable though - it should be just a LIL' longer fo sho...

Hopefully I'll come back and pass out!
biggrin.gif

I would like to read some of your impressions of Classical, Acoustic, Rock, Jazz, etc, etc.  Seems that all you listen and write about is Electronica.  To me Electronica on a headphone can sound really good, but the same headphone with male and female vocals, other genres can be a different story entirely!  Electronica won't tell a lot about instrument separation and placement, for example!

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #1,268 of 6,486

Excellent, the very 2 closed planar cans (AP and closed EL-8) I'm interested in. I'm still sure AP will hold its own against a 2015 NASA tech driver !

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #1,269 of 6,486
a shootout betw the El-8closed and the recently launched "Hi Res" dynamic 70mm Sony Z7
would be interesting to alot of folks here looking for a sub1k closed can i think.. 

(.. btw price on amazon is down to 500 for the Z7,  elated?  :p)

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #1,271 of 6,486
Anyome here use Dolby headphone to listen to music? Mike, have you? I think I could make for a ridiculously grand night for you and your family.

I use it sometimes when connecting headphones straight into the Asus Essence ST soundcard. I have a weird feeling about it, sometimes I really like it and it gives me a great sense of realism, but sometimes it sounds like there's too much echo and reverb going on. It depends on the music. Also, when I get used to, switching back to just stereo makes music sound wrong, totally closed in. Like going from speakers to headphones basically.

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #1,272 of 6,486
I'm just wondering if an iPhone 6 or a laptop can drive these well, without any other amp whatsoever? Are they really as portable as advertised? Or by portable do they mean "you have to buy a portable amp mate, are you taking the piss?" ?..

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #1,273 of 6,486

ANYBODY else:

Dolby headphone? Nope!

Would definitely like to read a comparison to the TH600 since it is currently my favorite pair of headphones (over my TH900, LCD-XC, and W3000ANV). Since I also use it as my commute headphones it would directly be the horse the EL-8 would have to beat to get into my stable.

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #1,274 of 6,486

Could be interesting to compare the EL-8 (closed) with the Beyerdynamic T5p

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #1,275 of 6,486
Would definitely like to read a comparison to the TH600 since it is currently my favorite pair of headphones (over my TH900, LCD-XC, and W3000ANV). Since I also use it as my commute headphones it would directly be the horse the EL-8 would have to beat to get into my stable.

What type of music do you usually listen to? EDM?..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back