Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 4, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #6,481 of 6,486
When I first heard my EL-8 Titanium, I thought they sounded magical. However, I started reading all the reviews about them afterwards and it colored my opinion quite a bit. All of the professional reviews are scathingly negative. I wish it didn’t but that does affect my enjoyment of the headphones. Not even sure that there are frequency measurements of the EL-8 Titanium specifically but I’d imagine they measure very well with the Cipher. The EL-8 Ti does sound glorious with Tidal/lossless files.

I have a 2017 Closed which should sound identical to the Ti. They sound amazing to me, except for a certain frequency in the treble region which sometimes can be a little bit too much for me with some music using my Chord Mojo. I solved it by using the parametric EQ in Roon through lowering the 8Khz band by half a dB (it also lowers the frequencies surrounding it a little bit).
I agree that it's frustrating that these cans are not considered very good. I think the early production units did have issues and that impression is what lasted.
It looks like Audeze have stopped making them and I suspect they will come out with something new to replace them. I think it's simply just to start afresh with a new model that does not have this bad reputation.

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #6,482 of 6,486
I've recommended these to a few friends looking for a planar headphone and at the reduced price of $350 for B-stock its a really good deal. @Chikolad I agree that the issues with the first production gave the EL-8 a bad reputation that has stayed with it and its a pity since I think these sound quite good in comparison to other headphones in the $300-600 range and since they are very efficient you don't need an amp.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #6,483 of 6,486
@Chikolad @DavidA Wasn’t the Titanium model released after Audeze re-tooled the EL-8? They should in theory have all sounded spectacular, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Audeze kept tuning the sound even after their initial release since the Titanium was in production until September 2017.

I’m not even sure the manufacturer refurbished EL-8 Titanium I bought was actually manufacturer refurbished since it looked new, especially compared to the refurbished Sine I also ordered. (New cable, no wear on the EL-8 Ti, new smell.) It’s a common tactic for manufacturers to clear new products out as manufacturer refurbished so as to not drastically affect their authorized resellers. Either way, kudos Audeze. I can tell they’re good, I’m just trying to gauge how good. Perhaps I should try just enjoying the music but that’s why I come on sites like these: to figure out how to get the best audio possible. So critical reviews do matter to me, whether they should or not in this case. I tried my best to avoid them at first but figured I’d read them as I would for any headphone.

I think I sold my Sine prematurely (I bought both so I could keep one, but that’s only because they’d both serve the same purpose in my collection and thus get limited listening time). After I figured out I was probably fitting them with the ear pads extended too far down it was too late, and they both have their positives. EL-8 sounds like a larger Sine for the most part which makes them sound more impressive on first impression but I do think the Sine might have handled some things better. I could listen to the Sine at 9/16 volume with ease in my limited time with it and EL-8 Ti I feel the need to listen to at 11-12/16 which fatigues quicker.

To really hear the planar magnetic difference, Tidal shines on any of Audeze’s headphones. AAC from Apple Music doesn’t seem to have the same wow effect. A bit of a catch-22 since I’m not sure I need to subscribe to Tidal and Apple Music, and Apple Music is a lot better otherwise.

Audeze makes some of the most beautiful-sounding, well-made headphones either way.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #6,484 of 6,486
Wasn’t the Titanium model released after Audeze re-tooled the EL-8?

I believe they were, but not sure. I think Audeze kept making minor changes after the 2016 revamp of all products. For instance, in my EL-8C there's some foam inside the cups and you can't see through to the fazors, and earlier versions didn't have this.

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #6,485 of 6,486
Side question: how loudly are you guys listening via the Cipher? I’m curious if Audeze took decibel readings via the cable. A decibel chart would be helpful since I try to avoid going over 88dB. (My ears hurt a bit today after listening at 75% volume last night.) Due to the Lightning cable and iOS the decibel output of the Cipher should be fairly standardized over different source apps.

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #6,486 of 6,486
Side question: how loudly are you guys listening via the Cipher? I’m curious if Audeze took decibel readings via the cable. A decibel chart would be helpful since I try to avoid going over 88dB. (My ears hurt a bit today after listening at 75% volume last night.) Due to the Lightning cable and iOS the decibel output of the Cipher should be fairly standardized over different source apps.
My EL-8 are from the original release and I don't use Apple products so no Cipher cable. As for listening level I'm usually in the 60-75dB range 95% of the time. You can get some rough estimates of your listening level using a dB meter app for your phone, something like this:
SPL-measurement-2.jpg
I use the closed cell foam to keep external noise from influencing the readings. Try to find an app that lets you calibrate the meter and try not to use songs that are bass or treble heavy since the mic in most phones don't have a very wide range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back